Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2007, 10:52 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,107,827 times

Advertisements

I'm really fond of some of Durham's historic areas like Trinity Park, Forest Hills, and Watts-Hillandale and would love to move there. We'd be moving from the Falls River community in N. Raleigh where eveyone has 2.5 kids and where you always see kids/families out playing, riding bikes, etc... I'm concerned that my desire for what I feel is an ideal home and neighborhood might not be so ideal for raising my now-almost-3-year-old son. Why? Well, when I think back to my childhood, I recall playing in the woods, learning to ride my bike in the safety of a cul-de-sac, and all the other stuff that came with growing up in the burbs in the 70s & 80s. Would I be depriving my son of these great childhood experiences by moving him to somewhere like Trinity Park? Are there many families with young kids in these areas now so that he'd have playmates close by? Does anyone here have any feedback or guidance they could offer on this matter?

NOTE: I'm not looking for information here on crime, schools, etc... in Durham. I know much of Durham having lived there in the past and having researched it extensively of late. I want to embrace Durham for what it is and escape the homogenous rat race that N. Raleigh has become.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2007, 11:06 AM

531 posts, read 1,983,839 times
Well, given the neighborhoods you have listed, "historic" might be considered a code-word for "iffy" or even "at the edge of hell". Certainly Sedgefield and Clarendon streets in the Trinity Park area are to be avoided! But you already know all that. I used to live in that area myself and, like so much of Durham, if you go one block in the wrong direction, you can find yourself observing a crack deal on a streetcorner. If your intention is to allow your child to wander freely through the neighborhood, then clearly this will not work. On the other hand, there are gobs of city parks and Duke Forest and Eno River and lots of great places for mommy and daddy to take a child--moreso than in Raleigh and (ugh) Cary, if you ask me.

I understand your revulsion for the all-white enclaves of Raleigh/Cary. That's why I chose Durham to live in. But I don't have kids. My impression of the "urban pioneers" who are moving into the more crime-ridden areas are that they are adult people who are not currently raising kids. Perhaps someone will correct me?

I would suggest our neighborhood (northern Hope Valley area) as a good place for kids. We live behind the Hope Valley Elementary school and there are many protected cul-de-sacs and quiet streets which regularly have kids riding their cute little trikes up and down. And sled down in the winter. (ok, so that's pretty dangerous, but they do it anyway!)

Old 09-14-2007, 01:20 PM

36 posts, read 183,644 times
There are lots of children in the Trinity Park neighborhood where I live. I also know families who have children around that age who live in Duke Park, Old North Durham and Northgate Park.

I really don't think you would be depriving your son of good childhood experiences. There are definitely differences between being raised in an urban environment compared to the suburbs, but I personally would've loved to have grown up in one of these older neighborhoods. They have so much more charm and character versus your average cookie-cutter subdivision. Trinity Park and Duke Park have wonderful parks & playgrounds and there are always seasonal festivals & parties with lots of activities. In my opinion, these kids have it made!

Old 09-14-2007, 02:40 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,195,553 times
Living in an older, urban community might mean your kid has a different childhood experience, but not necessarily a worse one. I'd suggest looking closely at Trinity Park and Watts-Hillandale. Walk through the neighborhoods and see who else is out and about. You'll likely see lots of families, with kids the age of your son. Duke Park is another great neighborhood with an eclectic bunch of people to call neighbors.

There are many ways to interpret "ideal," and moving to one of these communities might give your son the chance to reminisce about Saturdays spent being pulled to the Farmers Market in a wagon, or learning to play mandolin from the guy across the street, or being best friends with a kid of a different race.

good luck.

Old 09-14-2007, 08:17 PM

1,489 posts, read 5,697,311 times
With all the sprawling space that makes up Duke campus, I would think you have plenty of safe areas to ride bikes, etc.

Old 11-11-2007, 07:30 AM

375 posts, read 913,392 times
Default Kids in Historic area

Hi there

I am looking at that area as well, as a lot of houses seem to be affordable in historic Durham. I have 2 kids and am wondering if that would be a good place for them to have lots to do, and safety is an issue as well.

Does anyone know the zip codes of the safer neighborhoods or are they all the same zip(I am looking from Florida)?

Thanks!

Old 11-11-2007, 09:44 AM

1,036 posts, read 3,195,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachaelb View Post
Hi there

I am looking at that area as well, as a lot of houses seem to be affordable in historic Durham. I have 2 kids and am wondering if that would be a good place for them to have lots to do, and safety is an issue as well.

Does anyone know the zip codes of the safer neighborhoods or are they all the same zip(I am looking from Florida)?

Thanks!
Rachael, it's tricky looking for neighborhoods in Durham by zip code. Some of the best neighborhoods are in the same zip code as some that probably wouldn't appeal to you. A better approach is to narrow your search by neighborhood. A web site like fmrealty for instance, lets you refine by neighborhood. Try looking for homes in Trinity Park, Watts-Hillandale, Duke Park, Forest Hills, Duke Forest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary