Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 05:51 PM

15 posts, read 18,248 times

Advertisements

I am a 21 year old finishing up my senior year in college, graduating in May and coming down to Raleigh from Central New York because I have a good job lined up,I love the weather and there is potential growth for me in my career! Six Forks Road Raleigh, NC 27615 is road where my job is located. I have a couple of important questions I could really use help with;

What apartments are popular for (20-30 year old) young adults?

Like to be withen a 5-20 minute commute to workplace?

Price Range-700-950 (1/2 Bedrooms, 1 Bath might try and find roommate)
I would like a pool and or basketball courts/tennis courts, some place where people remain active

*If anyone is interested in having a roommate in this area I will be down at the end of May and won't know many people. I play a ton of basketball and love all sports! Let me know if you're interested!

THANK YOU, every comment helps..also let me know if there is any suggestions you think I should take note of before moving down!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2012, 06:24 PM

7 posts, read 15,804 times
Try Cambridge apartments on Six Forks. I lived there years back and it was great. It has a basketball court/tennis court and a pool. I have a 2 bedroom 2 1/2 bath and it was 780 a month. They always run specials and you might can get it for 6??. It is sort of the center of Six Forks and you will be within 15 minutes to either end so you will be well within your goal.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:49 PM

79 posts, read 142,885 times
I grew up in CNY (Manlius), and I think you're making a great move coming down to Raleigh. The lay of the land is similar to upstate NY with a lot of rolling hills, but the sky is blue instead of gray, there are many more flowers, trees and sunshine, and most people are super friendly and laid back. There are also a TON of things to do here compared to where you're coming from. In my opinion, it's a perfect spot for a recent grad from upstate NY.

As for renting, I have 2 suggestions for you.

1) Inman Park Apartments - I lived there for 6 months with wife and 3 kids when we moved down over 2 years ago. Clean, big newer units, beautifully maintained, great pool, and good staff. We had a 2-bedroom for under $775 (don't recall the exact rent) with a special at the time. There were plenty of younger recent grads around, especially at the pool later on Saturday, drinking beer by the pool. But it was never really wild - everyone was pretty respectful. There seemed to be a mix of younger and older people, and I always felt fine there with my kids. One of my co-workers (about 28 years old) moved there, and she loves it.

2) Camden Manor Park - 2 of my friends live here, and they both really like it. This seems like a hot spot for younger, recent grads. 2 pools, very well maintained from what I've seen, and nice units inside as well. My friend has shown me pics of the pool on the weekends - it looks like spring break! Dozens and dozens of almost all younger people in the pool, beers and drinks in hand. She's told me it feels like a big party on a lot of weekends. If you're looking to meet people, and enjoy partying/going out, I'd definitely check this place out.

Both places are a few minutes from Crabtree Mall, and within 15 minutes to most places in downtown Raleigh. They're both probably within 15 minutes to your new job - driving on roads that are not all that busy during rush hour. I'd say that dimension - living between work and downtown, where you're likely to spend a good amount of time in your free time - is well worth considering.

By the way, I used to do some work with a couple of the Marketing girls at Bulk TV - they were very nice, and the office is nice as well. I think you'll like your experience there.

Best of luck with your move down, and welcome to Raleigh!

Old 04-09-2012, 08:36 AM

thank you so much for the great info..camden manor park seems just what I was looking for and when searching I didn't see this apartment! Hopefully my move goes as well as yours and I can handle everything!

Old 04-09-2012, 10:23 AM

3 posts, read 6,295 times
I did the same move about 9 months ago. Raleigh is an incredibly young town, so chances are any of the apartment buildings you live in will have tuns of young people. Most of the apartment buildings with pools/gyms cater towards the younger crowd, and from what Ive experienced, have more of a party atmosphere on weekends. I currently live in the Park and Market apartments in the North Hills...while I like it, they are getting pricey, and I am going to be moving to a new apartment complex in June. I visited about 8 apartment complexes when I was going to move down here, and i felt like I didnt even scratch the surface. There are TUNS of places down here.

I would also recommend the two places that Woohoo recommended, also there is Camden Overlook. They have nice gyms and pools, and trust me have lots of younger people. Only complaints ive heard out of them are that some people are loud/party a bit too much. If you want to live downtown the Hue is super swanky, and the apartments in Oberlin court a nice and close to downtown. When I originally moved to raleigh I thought i wanted to live near work, but now I really just wish I moved downtown, because that is where I spend most of my time.

If you do a simple google search of apartments around your work area, they usually have nice websites, and you usually get what you see. I would highly recommend taking a trip down here and checking out places. I made an appointment every hour to look at apartments when I visited, and it helped me with my decision (and to get to know the area) immensely. Best of luck finding a place, feel free to let me know if you have specific questions about anything.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:54 AM

thank you I appreciate it!

Old 04-09-2012, 04:11 PM

121 posts, read 295,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoooHooo! View Post
I grew up in CNY (Manlius), and I think you're making a great move coming down to Raleigh. The lay of the land is similar to upstate NY with a lot of rolling hills, but the sky is blue instead of gray, there are many more flowers, trees and sunshine, and most people are super friendly and laid back. There are also a TON of things to do here compared to where you're coming from. In my opinion, it's a perfect spot for a recent grad from upstate NY.

As for renting, I have 2 suggestions for you.

1) Inman Park Apartments - I lived there for 6 months with wife and 3 kids when we moved down over 2 years ago. Clean, big newer units, beautifully maintained, great pool, and good staff. We had a 2-bedroom for under $775 (don't recall the exact rent) with a special at the time. There were plenty of younger recent grads around, especially at the pool later on Saturday, drinking beer by the pool. But it was never really wild - everyone was pretty respectful. There seemed to be a mix of younger and older people, and I always felt fine there with my kids. One of my co-workers (about 28 years old) moved there, and she loves it.

2) Camden Manor Park - 2 of my friends live here, and they both really like it. This seems like a hot spot for younger, recent grads. 2 pools, very well maintained from what I've seen, and nice units inside as well. My friend has shown me pics of the pool on the weekends - it looks like spring break! Dozens and dozens of almost all younger people in the pool, beers and drinks in hand. She's told me it feels like a big party on a lot of weekends. If you're looking to meet people, and enjoy partying/going out, I'd definitely check this place out.

Both places are a few minutes from Crabtree Mall, and within 15 minutes to most places in downtown Raleigh. They're both probably within 15 minutes to your new job - driving on roads that are not all that busy during rush hour. I'd say that dimension - living between work and downtown, where you're likely to spend a good amount of time in your free time - is well worth considering.

By the way, I used to do some work with a couple of the Marketing girls at Bulk TV - they were very nice, and the office is nice as well. I think you'll like your experience there.

Best of luck with your move down, and welcome to Raleigh!

How hot is it as compared to the pleasant summers in CNY? Overall is it expensive to live relatively?

Old 04-09-2012, 04:35 PM

273 posts, read 619,190 times
A lot of my family is from Liverpool. The weather in CNY is like Raleigh, minus 20 degrees, and over 100 cloudy days a year.

But, Snow Top, the ice cream shop in Manlius, was always nice.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:17 PM

79 posts, read 142,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kram79 View Post
How hot is it as compared to the pleasant summers in CNY? Overall is it expensive to live relatively?
The first question is easier to answer... it gets hotter! Temps vary, though so it's not always 90+, and I've spent plenty of pleasant evenings outside. During the days when it's hot, we hit the pool - and there are plenty of neighborhood pools around. Not to mention the beaches - REAL beaches, where people actually decide to go on vacation - are only 2-3 hours away.

The biggest change for me wasn't the difference in heat, because you certainly get hot/humid days in the NE. It was the length of the warm season. September comes and goes and it still feels like summer. To me it wasn't bad at all, just noticeably different.

Expenses are tougher to pin down without knowing more about your situation. You can find a nice 4 BR house in the area well under $200K (outside of the center of Raleigh), or pay 5 times that. There are definitely plenty of affordable options, especially if you look at the neighboring towns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benthephysicist View Post
But, Snow Top, the ice cream shop in Manlius, was always nice.
That's a blast from the past for me - I spent many happy days as a kid under that big ice cream cone at Snow Top!

Old 04-10-2012, 08:37 AM

121 posts, read 295,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoooHooo! View Post
The first question is easier to answer... it gets hotter! Temps vary, though so it's not always 90+, and I've spent plenty of pleasant evenings outside. During the days when it's hot, we hit the pool - and there are plenty of neighborhood pools around. Not to mention the beaches - REAL beaches, where people actually decide to go on vacation - are only 2-3 hours away.

The biggest change for me wasn't the difference in heat, because you certainly get hot/humid days in the NE. It was the length of the warm season. September comes and goes and it still feels like summer. To me it wasn't bad at all, just noticeably different.

Expenses are tougher to pin down without knowing more about your situation. You can find a nice 4 BR house in the area well under $200K (outside of the center of Raleigh), or pay 5 times that. There are definitely plenty of affordable options, especially if you look at the neighboring towns.
As compared to Manlius school district in CNY, how are the overall expenses, taxes etc....are there any other taxes not there in NY state?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary