Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 08:33 AM

1,969 posts, read 3,595,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
Who said they were inspired by the movie. If they are like most pre-teen and teen girls (and many boys too) I know they have read the whole series of books. The movie was just the icing on the cake for them.

But even if they are inspired by the movie how is this different than being inspired by the Olympics. Enrollment in girls gymnastics and ice skating always surges after the Olympics.

Archery is not an easy thing to pick up quickly. I imagine there will be a surge in interest. Some kids will stick to it and some will find other things that interest them more. Hopefully in 5 years we'll see a surge in Archery competitors on the Olympic Level.

Yesterday, 09:58 AM
[SIZE=5]librarySue[/SIZE]
befriend

1,082 posts, read 544,679 times

the Hunger Games phenomenon---archery
Could have been predicted...the release of the Hunger Games has spurred interest in women's archery and my girls want to try it out.

Is there a range somewhere in the Triangle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 08:50 AM

1,751 posts, read 3,686,955 times
Actually, I heard on NPR that The Hunger Games had indeed spurred an interest in Archery. They interviewed a very successful Olympic archer (female)

However, I don't recall them specifying, nor did I personally specifically refer to, the movie rather than the books. My kids actually got the idea to try it from their cousin who got a bow and arrow for Christmas. Their father and their uncle are both archery enthusiasts,we just didn't know where to go locally because we are new in the area.

I can safely say that my daughter and I read the books before most people ever heard of them. These books have many important themes examining popular culture, and bring to mind The Lord of the Flies and 1984.

If you don't want to be influenced by popular culture, take your TV and computer and throw them in the trash. The development of technology itself is heavily influenced by pop culture.

As a school librarian, I will add that I also do not care what spurs interest in reading a book, getting excited about a movie series OR a hobby that comes from it.

After all, everyone in my family has a magic wand and we aren't having near as much luck with them as we did with the cousin's bow and arrows.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:21 PM

2,615 posts, read 3,144,625 times
Archery is a fine sport that has often become obscure in many places.

I got interested as a kid from any movie I saw about American Indians, European armies with bows, etc. I got my 1st real bow at 12 and had no place to formally practice and learn. I read the booklet that came with my set until it fell apart and taught myself from it. I got a stronger bow at 15 and still have it. For years, I shot several afternoons a week.

My younger daughter has had some interest and had it sparked again by Hunger Games. I am putting together a place for her to shoot in the back yard.

Imagine a kid or adult who never saw the sport up close. Maybe Hunger Games or another movie is 1st time they saw much about it. What's wrong with that?

Only problem with Olympic archery is that no one knows it's there. Archery was dropped for about 50 years or so and was included again sometime in the 70's. But no TV coverage I have seen ever covers it. Shooting sports are also not televised. Several pistol & rifle sports are part of Olympics & never televised that I have seen. Some TV coverage would do a lot to help these sports.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:14 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,823,956 times
I agree that Archery is a fine sport, and it's good that young people get interested in such, but I'm curious about hearing about how the movie actually gave them very unreal expectations.

First: Archery takes YEARS of intensive practice to become really good.
Next: Can an expert really become that good with their own bow and arrows, then pick up a totally strange-to-them bow and arrows that are differently shaped, weighted, and made of metal instead of natural woods, and still be an expert shot on the first, or second, try? (As happened in the movie).

Old 05-10-2012, 09:54 AM

1,751 posts, read 3,686,955 times
Taking a step into fiction-world...it was made very clear in the book that the heroine and her guy friend had been forced by potential starvation into sneaking under the fence into the woods to hunt. So they did have several years of intensive practice with moving targets. As well as some other amazing outdoor skills.

Could she truly have adapted so quickly to other equipment? She was fueled by desperation---in fear of her life. I agree that it would have been a bit more realistic for her to have a few initial mis-fires, but there was a lot about that story that was not realistic!

Old 05-12-2012, 01:25 PM

273 posts, read 618,937 times
If anyone is complaining that their kids have unreasonable expectations in archery after watching a science fiction movie................. I didnt have unreasonable expectations about killing people after watching "Kill Bill", although admittedly, I havent tried.

Old 05-13-2012, 01:19 PM

553 posts, read 1,271,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmateo View Post
Oh man, I'm in TROUBLE! I just read LIFE (Keith Richards Autobiography)

All jokes aside, I agree with the others, it's cool that kids get inspired to "do something". In this day and age, I'll be thankful for "whatever it takes".
Hey, my husband made Keith's Bangers and Mash recipe after he finished reading that book.

My husband is also a bow hunter. He thinks it's great that kids are out there trying archery. Maybe they won't hunt, but archery is a great sport. If it gets them outside doing something positive, who cares.

Old 05-14-2012, 03:09 PM

273 posts, read 618,937 times
NBC's Nightly News with Brian Williams had a minute or two long segment about archery and how most ranges across the country were starting to refuse new students because of too many students.......

Old 05-14-2012, 07:35 PM

330 posts, read 984,654 times
At Higher Ground Summer Camp they are doubling up their archery spots with the expectation of renewed interest.

Summer Camp North Carolina: Higher Ground Summer Camp - A Christian Summer Camp near Asheville, North Carolina

Old 05-15-2012, 06:13 AM

3,929 posts, read 2,951,705 times
What a funny thread... I agree whatever inspires kids to get out and do more activities is awesome! Personally my husband and I were inspired to do archery because of the book Dies the Fire by S.M. Stirling. I don't see anything wrong with kids or adults getting a little creative push from books.

I will say that the one trend inspired by books that drove me batty was the vampire teeth craze that started slowly after Twilight emerged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary