Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 09:17 AM

1,751 posts, read 3,676,570 times

Advertisements

I just got this email from WCPSS. Wouldn't you think this info would have been helpful BEFORE parents started making choices last month??? This gives a deadline of APRIL 12 and I just got this TODAY!
The Wake County Public School System will expand its STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics), global and language offerings beginning with the 2012-13 school year.
The new Spanish immersion program at Jeffreys Grove Elementary will teach English-speaking students to be fluent in Spanish by immersing them in the language.

Four new schools will join the STEM Collaborative Network: Lincoln Heights Elementary, Weatherstone Elementary, East Cary Middle, and North Garner Middle.

Forestville Road Elementary will join the Global Schools Collaborative Network and provide global literacy programming to prepare students to compete in the 21st century through new technology and an integrated global curriculum.

Families with students interested in attending these schools must apply through the choice program. The deadline for selecting schools through the choice program is April 12. More information about the student assignment process can be found at www.wcpss.net.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 10:08 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,121,339 times
Uhh yeah, talk about sending out information LATE. What a joke!

Old 04-10-2012, 10:30 AM

108 posts, read 202,611 times
Thanks for providing the info. My kids are slated for East Cary Middle, so I'm very excited to see it is a STEM school.

BTW, where did you sign up to receive those email updates from WCPSS?

Old 04-10-2012, 10:35 AM

4,262 posts, read 5,888,541 times
Default First Class Postage or Bulk??

Bulk mail often ripens in the Post Office for a week or so. Some individual Carriers/Sorters are even worse regarding timely delivery of Bulk Mail items.

Bulk is cheaper, but don't use it for anything with a deadline!

Old 04-10-2012, 10:40 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,121,339 times
Thankfully the post office doesn't affect the speed at which email is sent out.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:42 AM

280 posts, read 739,112 times
Could it be that they decided on these schools to be STEM because of low enrollment ? It may have been a last minute decision. I know of several parents in Carpenter Elementary who do not wish to go to East Cary Middle (their feeder school). Making East Cary Middle a STEM school will make it a lot more intresting for them.

Old 04-10-2012, 12:24 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,136,501 times
I get these updates as an email.

Vicki

Old 04-10-2012, 12:45 PM

515 posts, read 1,712,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
Thankfully the post office doesn't affect the speed at which email is sent out.

lol!!!

Old 04-10-2012, 01:39 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,978,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nclass View Post
Could it be that they decided on these schools to be STEM because of low enrollment ? It may have been a last minute decision. I know of several parents in Carpenter Elementary who do not wish to go to East Cary Middle (their feeder school). Making East Cary Middle a STEM school will make it a lot more intresting for them.

I'd like to think that this is what happened. It means that they're actually paying attention to the results. As the parent of children slated to go to East Cary (currently at Morrisville Elementary), it makes me hate it a little less.

However, the timing sucks. They should extend the deadline to allow people the chance to review their choices, make changes and then review again to see which seats may have freed up due to others making changes.

Old 04-10-2012, 04:05 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,027,273 times
I know it was a last minute thing at East Cary. I spoke with the principal (he's new this month). He said he put in a last minute application and it was just granted this week. However, I went to to the East Cary open house/meet the new principal since we decided to send my DD there so I knew it was being processed.
I'd email assignment and let them know if you are still interested. He seems very interested and proactive in getting enrollment numbers up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary