Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 07:17 AM

18 posts, read 32,959 times

Advertisements

As others mentioned it's a tough tradeoff between "rural" and schools. We have a lot of large subdivisions around here. Orange County has some rural areas and the Hillsborough area in particular has a lot of the characteristics you mentioned, except it is again about 45 minutes from the FIL. But as long as you stay in that area, decent schools, small town charm, and plenty of homes that have some space and uniqueness.

Schools are hit and miss around here... so if that is a priority use that as your first criteria to pick areas and then use sites like Zillow to narrow down where the home inventory is for what you want. I'm confident you can find it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 07:34 AM

14 posts, read 19,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
Pretty sure those don't exist anymore, at least not around here. Well, maybe Pittsboro doesn't have a Wal-mart yet lol. That would put you about half an hour from Holly Springs.

Oh I'm sure there are not many places that don't have a Walmart (hense the lol) but I was just giving an example of the type of "country" i would enjoy.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:36 AM

14 posts, read 19,506 times
Thanks again everyone. The advice is greatly appreciated!

Old 04-11-2012, 09:37 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,044,128 times
If you want to be without a WalMart, you may have to be waaay out. Maybe Duplin County.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:50 AM

1,540 posts, read 5,563,693 times
I too am from CT and love it here. I am purchasing a home in Franklinton off of 96 in Granville County. It is beautiful and about custom built, about 2500 square foot on an acre, and green built as well. It also has a sealed crawl, all for 255,900. It is loaded with upgrades. I originally lived in North Raleigh off Creedmoor Rd over 20 years ago and it still is nice there if you want to deal with one light after another :-) Then I now have a town home in downtown Wake Forest which I loved as well, becuse I could walk to the downtown. Now I am moving out just a little further for the peacefulness of Franklinton. It reminds me of parts of CT thats what I love about this area. Good luck with your decisions.

Debbie

Old 05-24-2012, 10:22 AM

46 posts, read 77,250 times
I second the Willow Spring area. We live in Turner Downs, and all homes in our neighborhood are over 0.5 acre, although there are much more rural areas near us if you don't want as much of a neighborhood. We get produce from several local farms that are on our way to work/school, and have just started getting grass-fed local beef from a farmer in Willow Springs as well.

And, I also agree with Pittsboro. I have several friends that live over there, and it is definitely country living, at least by Triangle standards!

Good luck!

Old 05-24-2012, 10:47 AM

387 posts, read 638,161 times
I agree with the folks that are saying Willow Spring. Also, there's a somewhat rural area (not dirt roads, though) around the Olde South/Penny Road/Blaney Franks area. I live on a 10 acre plot with 2 houses (my rental and my landlords home that I can't even see from my house), there's horses, big vegetable gardens. I was driving down Blaney Franks the other day, and there's 7 unimproved acres up for sale just past the creek that leads into Lake Wheeler. Good schools for this area, Yates Mill Elementary, Dillard Drive Middle (my daughter attended both, graduating from Dillard Drive this year). I love being able to sit on my porch and listen to the birds, hang out in my hammock on my patio and count stars. And the really great part about it is that I work near Rex Hospital in Raleigh, and it's only a 15/20-minute drive to work. It's a great little hidden rural gem but really close to any amenity you might want!

Old 05-24-2012, 11:34 AM

1,124 posts, read 1,716,816 times
Well these ideas are also in Durham county, but its lots closer to Holly Springs than Connecticut!!
Look around Bahama, Rougemont and Hillsborough ( that may be Wake county)...there are lots of large properties that are "in the middle of nowhere" out that way...you know..."not the end of the world but you can see it from there". Great areas for rural living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary