Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 08:07 PM

1,036 posts, read 1,953,566 times

Advertisements

In Soviet Raleigh, school chooses you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 09:13 PM

68 posts, read 145,815 times
Reading this thread has me totally freaked out! We're relocating to Wake Forest at some point in the next 3-4 months and my daughter will be starting 1st grade in the fall.

We're leaning very strongly towards year-round school. Does all of this overwhelming, scary information apply to year-round school as well???

Old 04-22-2012, 07:50 AM

203 posts, read 561,799 times
So the public schools run year round?
DO the private schools?
With this school placement/choice system, is it just easier foe people moving in to go private?

Old 04-22-2012, 11:13 AM

615 posts, read 1,503,628 times
Year round schools are not scary part...its just a different calendar..more time off in the fall/spring, less in the summer. Its the "tracking" system that is horrible...if you have more than 1 child on different tracks its a nightmare. Also, not going to the school closest to your house is also ridiculous to me.

We definitly avoided Wake County schools for the school mess and not knowing where our child would go to school each year, and when.
And most surrounding counties without that mess are within 20 minutes of Raleigh anyway with cheaper houses and less taxes(property). Johnston County is a good example. Neighborhood schools, traditional calendar, a nice home for under $200k, reasonable property taxes and a 20 minute commute to downtown Raleigh. It was a no-brainer for us.

Old 04-22-2012, 03:04 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,757,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyIndy View Post
With this school placement/choice system, is it just easier foe people moving in to go private?
Depends on when you move. Most private school admission letters have been sent out for the 2012-2013 school year. Some may still have spots open in some grades. But generally by now people have already paid the deposits to hold a private school spot by now, and there are others on waiting lists.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:55 PM

98 posts, read 216,165 times
FYI I called a few private schools in the area and they definitely had spots in elementary school still available. So I guess even as bad as the situation in Wake County seems to us outsiders it does not appear to be bad enough for people flock to private school - not sure if that is reassuring or not.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:04 PM

37 posts, read 82,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimitri1000 View Post
FYI I called a few private schools in the area and they definitely had spots in elementary school still available. So I guess even as bad as the situation in Wake County seems to us outsiders it does not appear to be bad enough for people flock to private school - not sure if that is reassuring or not.
Dimitri--do you mind sharing where you called? I just told my husband that I was going to start calling tomorrow.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:58 PM

98 posts, read 216,165 times
Durham academy most recently, with the others it has been a little while. We are in private school in the northeast (by necessity not true choice) and I found the decision agonizing. I can only imagine trying to pick one from out of state!

Old 04-24-2012, 07:29 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimitri1000 View Post
The situation is not bad for most people who currently live here. I don't know one person switching to private school. I think you're confusing your situation with everyone else's.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:07 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,848,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by douknownam View Post
Might be an ignorant question but... why would they approve building a school in an area that needs students from other areas to fill it up? Wouldn't it make more sense to build more schools in areas that need it? it's probably a lot more complicated than this, but that's what I'm seeing.
Usually, families with young kids move to the newer subdivisions- as those kids grow, the need for schools increases in that area.
A great example is Rolesville- they have a handful of high schoolers now. When it was decided to build a high school there, on the surface of it, it seemed crazy. But, they have tons of elementary and middle schoolers. They built a high school and will fill it with kids from further out. In a few years it will be full of Rolesville kids.
As for schools that are crowded now? In a few years that bunch of kids are up & out... and the once- crowded school has empty seats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary