Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 06:43 AM

24 posts, read 63,708 times

Advertisements

We plan on relocating to the Raleigh area once we sell our home in FL! After extensive research and a few visits, we feel that this would be a great place to raise our kids. Regarding location we just need to be within 30 minutes from the airport for work.

Our favorite neighborhoods include MacGregor West, Lochmere, Preston Village, Cambridge, Wyndfall at Regency, and Jamison Park. Which of these have the most kids and a friendly community feel? We wish to be close to walking/biking trails, shopping, restaurants, sport (soccer) fields, gyms and of course great public schools. We have one child with mild learning disabilities and behavioral issues and another one that is gifted.

I appreciate any advice and opinions you can share on the schools and neighborhoods that best meet our needs and lifestyle!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 06:49 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,131,540 times
I live next to MacGregor and often take my dog walking around there and honestly I rarely see kids running around that neighborhood. Or I guess at least compared to my neighborhood there doesn't seem to be many kids around there. I used to tutor some kids in Preston Village and they seemed to have more kids around and I know they had playgrounds around the neighborhood for the kids.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:40 AM

71 posts, read 148,287 times
From what I have seen Preston Village is the best match for your criteria listed.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:52 AM

294 posts, read 827,664 times
Jamison has everything you're looking for. There's two elementary schools, one middle and a high school. There's also 105 acre park system called Middle Creek.

Here's info from Cary's website on the Middle Creek facility (short walk from Jamison).
  • Athletic Complex with 4 lighted baseball/softball fields with restrooms
  • 2 multi-purpose fields (lighted) with restrooms
  • 18 Hole Disc Golf Course
  • 2 Basketball Courts
  • 8 Tennis Courts (lighted) with restrooms
  • Picnic Shelter (available on a first come first serve basis)
  • Play area with adjacent open lawn area
  • 0.50 miles of paved trail around softball fields
  • 0.33 miles of paved trail around multi-purpose fields
Link:
Middle Creek School Park

Old 04-11-2012, 08:27 AM

5,732 posts, read 17,554,538 times
The problem with Jamison Park is that it will be VERY close to the proposed I540, based on the proposed corridor, when it finally gets built. Also, it will be the farthest from the airport.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:51 PM

24 posts, read 63,708 times
Thanks for the information! NH2 do you live in Jamison? Are there lots of kids? We would like for our boys to have other children to play with. In our current FL neighborhood, we have very few kids and way too many retirees that don't want kids around. We checked out that beautiful park last time we were in Raleigh. The park and the schools are definitely a positive. I just worry that the commute to the grocery store, gym, etc. would get old quickly.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:25 PM

4,266 posts, read 11,390,057 times
Of all the neighborhoods you listed, I'd seriously consider Preston Village. I live closeby and walk/ride there frequently. lots of kids! Only downside is the cost of the country club as opposed to having a neighborhood pool.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:46 PM

294 posts, read 827,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflgirl View Post
Thanks for the information! NH2 do you live in Jamison? Are there lots of kids? We would like for our boys to have other children to play with. In our current FL neighborhood, we have very few kids and way too many retirees that don't want kids around. We checked out that beautiful park last time we were in Raleigh. The park and the schools are definitely a positive. I just worry that the commute to the grocery store, gym, etc. would get old quickly.
I live at the Park at West Lake which is about a mile from Jamison. I've lived out this way for over 10 years and am amazed at the growth.

There's two grocery stores (Food Lion and Harris Teeter) within two minutes drive and probably another five within 10 minutes. The premier gym in the area (Lifetime Fitness) is about 10 minutes with many alternatives closer (Anytime Fitness, YMCA, o2 Fitness). I belong to the YMCA (brand new facility) which is less than two minutes away.

The negative........as someone said, 540 is scheduled to come close to a section of Jamison. Also, the airport is about 30 minutes on any given work day. If I catch an early morning flight, I can get there in 15 minutes though....Shhh!

send me an email with any questions!!! good luck...

Old 04-11-2012, 01:53 PM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 12 days ago)

43,142 posts, read 76,705,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
Of all the neighborhoods you listed, I'd seriously consider Preston Village. I live closeby and walk/ride there frequently. lots of kids! Only downside is the cost of the country club as opposed to having a neighborhood pool.

Preston Village owns their pool now:

"Is the swimming pool in the neighborhood open to all residents and is there a cost to use the pool?

Yes, the pool is now the property of the Preston Village association and providing you are in good standing with the homeowners associations you are allowed to use the pool. Your Preston Village homeowner's dues include the cost of use for residents however there is a charge for guests. Please download the rules, policies and hours of operation from the library section of this web site and call......."

Old 04-11-2012, 01:58 PM

4,266 posts, read 11,390,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Preston Village owns their pool now:

"Is the swimming pool in the neighborhood open to all residents and is there a cost to use the pool?

Yes, the pool is now the property of the Preston Village association and providing you are in good standing with the homeowners associations you are allowed to use the pool. Your Preston Village homeowner's dues include the cost of use for residents however there is a charge for guests. Please download the rules, policies and hours of operation from the library section of this web site and call......."
Yay!! You rock Mike! More reason to go with Preston Village.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary