Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 02:43 PM

1,424 posts, read 5,336,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbidder View Post
We are thinking of a move from Phoenix as well...this is a great thread. I have lived in FL before and the humidity wasn't too awful. I am assuming it is similar to that..could be wrong. My husband, on the other hand, has never lived anywhere but the desert, but I think he knows what he is getting into...hmm...
Being from FL (long time ago), it's hotter here and more humid there, but still seriously humid here.

My only advice is not to underestimate the heat/humidity combination in this area. If at all possible, experience it beforehand and decide whether you can handle it before making a relo decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 02:50 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,475,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by didee View Post
Being from FL (long time ago), it's hotter here and more humid there, but still seriously humid here.

My only advice is not to underestimate the heat/humidity combination in this area. If at all possible, experience it beforehand and decide whether you can handle it before making a relo decision.
I personally disagree with this. I lived in S. FL (Coral Springs) for 20 years and Raleigh for 11 years. I think the humidity and heat are about the same, just less of it in NC than in FL. And it's much better for your skin anyway. :-)

Old 04-11-2012, 02:54 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,624,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by didee View Post
I have been in the south during summer, but it was a long time ago. It was also Tennessee and Virginia. But I do understand it will be uncomfortable at best. That's why I started the thread asking if there was any relief at night.

Your advice is mine for those considering phoenix. I understand completely, but with this move it is all dependent on where the jobs are. My wife will be a new grad RN and so far the Raleigh hospitals are the only ones showing any interest in new grads.

Old 04-11-2012, 03:45 PM

1,751 posts, read 3,688,178 times
I've spent a great deal of time in PA over the years...you will not find it too different, just overall warmer.

Old 04-11-2012, 04:46 PM

1,346 posts, read 3,075,451 times
I think I'm pretty qualified to answer as I've lived in both Phoenix and Raleigh. I hated Phoenix weather with a passion, and I merely dislike Raleigh summers. Much much much more humid, obviously, even compared to monsoon season. But that hideous Phoenix weather just was horrible. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Old 04-11-2012, 05:01 PM

459 posts, read 757,436 times
I am another one from South Florida thats been here a long time. While it was hot and humid down there, the ocean helped moderate things. I don't really remember a lot of days in the 90s. I did spend one summer in Gainesville -- talk about hot and humid!

What I noticed when we moved here is that while there are plenty of hot and humid days, there are also nice days in the summer when we might be able to even turn the AC off.

Old 04-11-2012, 05:05 PM

286 posts, read 685,343 times
Eh, I love the summers here. It's all just personal preference. I feel like the winters last too long. I have found that the older I get, the more I like the heat and humidity.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:30 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
I tend to think that there's way too much hyperbole regarding the Summer heat and humidity in the Triangle. Now, to be transparent, I have lived in the Bay Area of California, Houston and South Florida. Two of the three places (guess which ones) have way more oppressive Summers than the Triangle. In Houston and Miami, the heat is relentless day and night for months on end. The humidity in both is also more extreme. Overnight lows are often in the low 80s.
In my 38 Summers in NC, the pattern that I feel is that the humidity is worst when the daytime highs are in the upper 80s to low 90s. Heat waves, while hot, feel decidedly drier to me than normal. Evenings after thunderstorms in the Triangle are usually pleasant...warm but not super hot. During heatwaves, overnight lows are sometimes nearer 80 but they are not the typical and they don't last for months on end. I go back and forth between Miami and Raleigh during the Summer months and I can tell you that Miami is way more oppressive. In fact, sometimes Raleigh doens't even feel humid to me upon arrival from Miami in August.
In the end, it's all perspective. There are cooler Summer places, hotter Summer places, drier Summer places and wetter Summer places.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:29 PM

7,140 posts, read 4,738,653 times
The summers here are horrible. You cannot open your windows at night and have to leave the a/c on 24-7, unless you like to sleep in humidity that's like 90 percent, and risk the creepy crawly things that make their way into your house even with screens on your windows.

There is no "cooling off" at night here except on an extremely rare occasion, and no fresh cool air until October.

I'm sure in ways it's worse in Phoenix, yes. But everything is relative. I have lived all over the country and the only worse place as far as humidity, sleepless summer nights, and crawly things trying to set up house indoors, imho is Louisiana. That was a nightmare.
best,
Toodie

Old 04-12-2012, 05:07 AM

66 posts, read 124,970 times
Just curious, would most people who have lived in a variety of places besides Raleigh agree that 3 summer months of oppressive heat and humidity beats out 5 winter months of frigid temps and icy, snowy roads?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary