Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2012, 04:07 PM

112 posts, read 123,504 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know where I can find a list of new neighborhoods or subdivisions in or close to Chapel Hill/Carrboro? My husband and I are starting to consider building in ~2 years and would like to settle in the CH area, but since we're still new to the area, it's hard to know what's 'out there.' Looking in the $350-$375 range (for 1800-2000 sq. ft.), lot included, and we'd greatly prefer a well-treed area. Is this possible?

Any lists or specific recommendations are appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 04:31 PM

43,280 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puggal View Post
Does anyone know where I can find a list of new neighborhoods or subdivisions in or close to Chapel Hill/Carrboro? My husband and I are starting to consider building in ~2 years and would like to settle in the CH area, but since we're still new to the area, it's hard to know what's 'out there.' Looking in the $350-$375 range (for 1800-2000 sq. ft.), lot included, and we'd greatly prefer a well-treed area. Is this possible?

Any lists or specific recommendations are appreciated! Thanks!
Chapel Hill area for work, or do you need to be in the Chapel Hill Schools, too?

Old 04-12-2012, 06:11 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,936,310 times
Most builders in Chapel Hill are building homes much larger than that (except for houses under the town's affordable housing program), priced at $600K and up. I'm sure there are exceptions.

There's not a lot of available undeveloped land in Chapel Hill proper that isn't owned by the University. There are a couple of new developments in northern Carrboro just outside Chapel Hill - Winmore and Claremont. I think both still have houses going up, but they'll be long finished in a couple of years.

There are some developments just south of Chapel Hill as well, like Montclair and Beechridge, but they are large homes priced over $1M. A little further out toward Pittsboro is Chapel Ridge.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:02 AM

Thank you both!

We'd like to be in the Chapel Hill school district, if possible. Anyone know of any being planned for the near future?

Old 04-23-2012, 09:28 AM

The only development proposals I've heard about lately are high density, mixed use or rental communities (e.g., Charterwood, The Retreat). One that is on the drawing boards is Obey Creek - which would allegedly be huge and include some residential sections. It would be located on US 15-501 on the south side of Chapel Hill, across from Southern Village. It's still very early in the planning stages (development in Chapel Hill is a multi-year process), but it's sheer size has generated a bit of buzz (not positively - Chapel Hill is really not a pro-development type of community).

I know less about what is happening in Carrboro. A number of new residential developments in recent years have been in the northern and western parts of Carrboro, especially along Homestead Road.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:33 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times
I wouldn't hold my breath for what you want within CHCCS district. We looked for lots 3 years ago and had twice this budget and the only thing we saw was under utility lines. You may have to adjust your areas of interest.

Old 04-23-2012, 04:05 PM

Interesting. Thank you both! I'll look into the communities listed, and no kudzu, I'm not getting my hopes up. The few communities I've inquired about have been $500k+, but I'm confused as I thought homes in this price range weren't easy sellers.

We may look into Hillsborough as an alternative, but that puts my husband even further away from work (in downtown Raleigh).

If anyone else knows of anything, please share!

Old 04-24-2012, 06:23 AM

There is a 16 acre parcel at the northeast corner of Estes and MLK Blvd. (across from Amity United Methodist Church) that is zoned for single family housing. A developer has proposed a dense apartment/townhome community, which would require re-zoning. (The property is adjacent to the future Carolina North campus.) This is typical for a lot of property within Chapel Hill - the push is for density. In this instance, the town council was not very receptive to the idea. Any development would still be a couple of years away as it takes that long for proposals to work their way through the town process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary