Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 11:22 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,770,529 times

Advertisements

Of all my utilities PSNC (gas) is by far the most reliable. Been connected for 30 years and to my knowledge have never lost availability. To be honest I wish I had gas everything (hot water/stove/dryer) but just have gas heat so pay the $10 minimum during the summer months. I can live with that if it helps keep things safe and affordable in the long run.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 01:53 PM

794 posts, read 1,325,494 times
This is my first home with gas anything (stove, fireplace, heat). I thought it was a bit much when my first bills last summer were $10.50 - $15.00 and I saw the $10 fee...

Now that I've paid some winter bills too and can better gage my average, I'm okay with it for all the reasons previous posters have mentioned. Plus, I'm a bit of a wimp in the cold so I kept my heat probably higher than others, plus frequently had my fireplace on and the bill never got close to $100. I think the highest was high $80s. I paid a lot more for my last house with electric heat.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:52 AM

1,484 posts, read 4,155,597 times
Default one option

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazother1 View Post
I google this and found a thread in 2007 about this same topic. I only use PSNC for our gas burners on our stovetop. Everything else in our newly purchased townhome is electric. I just received my 1st bill and it's $15.65 where we only used $5.65 of gas. The remaining $10 is a "Basic Facility Charge." I emailed them about this and received this:
The Basic Facility Charge (BFC) is a fixed monthly charge that covers the basic cost of bringing gas service to your location. The BFC is approved by the North Carolina Utilities Commission and some examples of costs covered by the BFC include, but are not limited to: Equipment (meter, service lines, etc), Meter Reading, & Billing
I think it's outrageous that 75% of my bill is for administrative fees. Has anybody had any luck contesting this and taking it off?
One option is to sell that stovetop, use part of that money to install an electric one and then you would be saving 120.00 a year on the maint. of the having gas service for just one appliance. Depending on the cost of the range (new, used, igh end) it would take around 2 years to recoup the cost.

Then again if you do this you have all your eggs in one basket. Right now if the electric goes out you can cook.

Old 04-18-2012, 02:58 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,839,827 times
Convert to propane.

Old 04-18-2012, 05:05 PM

735 posts, read 1,584,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
Convert to propane.
Yeah, nothing like the sensation of ice water to the face when you get the $900 bill to fill the tank.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:02 PM

61 posts, read 240,334 times
thx a lot everyone. You have all made me feel much better about my snobbish preference for gas burners. If I want it, I'd better pony up.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:25 PM

48 posts, read 79,334 times
Does PSNC financially support or sponsor the North Carolina Utilities Commission? I suspect it does. My SCE&G "Basic Facilities Charge" is also $10, for electricity alone, since they do not provide gas in our area. It was $8.50 last year, but they raised it 50c every 3 months and this month it went from $9.50 to $10. In one year the total payment went from $9.10 to $10.70. I wonder if their greed will ever stop?

Old 12-12-2013, 09:09 PM

2,905 posts, read 5,921,554 times
That's not bad compared to Progress Energy (now Duke Electric) - their charge went from $9.xx to almost $15 just recently!

Old 12-13-2013, 06:43 AM

523 posts, read 1,326,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenlySkies View Post
Does PSNC financially support or sponsor the North Carolina Utilities Commission? I suspect it does.
The NCUC is a state agency that is overseen by the legislature and financially supported by fees on utilities:

"NCUC is a fee-funded agency, supported by regulatory fee percentage established by General Assembly annually and applied to the jurisdictional revenues of public utilities (G.S. 62-302)"

http://www.ncuc.commerce.state.nc.us...w/Overview.pdf

Old 12-13-2013, 11:54 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazother1 View Post
I google this and found a thread in 2007 about this same topic. I only use PSNC for our gas burners on our stovetop. Everything else in our newly purchased townhome is electric. I just received my 1st bill and it's $15.65 where we only used $5.65 of gas. The remaining $10 is a "Basic Facility Charge." I emailed them about this and received this:
The Basic Facility Charge (BFC) is a fixed monthly charge that covers the basic cost of bringing gas service to your location. The BFC is approved by the North Carolina Utilities Commission and some examples of costs covered by the BFC include, but are not limited to: Equipment (meter, service lines, etc), Meter Reading, & Billing
I think it's outrageous that 75% of my bill is for administrative fees. Has anybody had any luck contesting this and taking it off?

No. Everyone pays it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary