Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2012, 12:30 PM

75 posts, read 173,277 times

Advertisements

We are kind of confused between these two communities. Although Waterford estates is more within our budget, we are concerned about the absence of walking trails/parks and the "proximity of several apartment homes" near the Waterford community. In contrast, Hillard Forest is surrounded by SFH communities with some which are even higher priced than Hilliard. WaterFord Estates is near the kitt creek road/green level church intersection (next to Alston Ridge Elem) and Hilliard forest is at green hope/green level church intersection. Both are in Wake county.

1. How can proximity of so many apartments affect the home values in long run. Currently most of these apartments are occupied by professionals working at RTP - but in future when town starts building Parkside commons/other shopping at Hwy55/540 - these apartments might see an influx of people who might not be as educated.

2. Currently there is ~15-20K difference in pricing between the two for similar models - but can this difference increase in the future.

What are your thoughts on these two areas - is it better to swallow the 20K extra now and buy a house in Hilliard Forest or get something in Waterford which shows better and is less expensive. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 04:14 PM

137 posts, read 306,171 times
My personal choice would be Hilliard Forest, but not because of apt. homes. I don't think they will have a big effect on anything. I live near apts. and it's never been an issue. I just like the Hilliard area better and don't care for what I've heard about Alston Ridge elementary.

Old 04-17-2012, 05:07 PM

11 posts, read 24,014 times
HF has their base school as Highcroft. Both subsivions are nice, but I'd go with the one that has the better school rating. Every time I give a recommendation it's swiffered off the thread, so I'm just going to suggest looking at the school report cards, well, if schools are something that is or may be, important to you

Old 04-17-2012, 07:54 PM

75 posts, read 173,277 times
Thanks. I believe that with the new school assignment system that Wake county is adopting - schools would be similar. I have a daughter who will be going to ES in couple of years:

Waterford school choices:
Alston Ridge Elementary (Y)
Mills Park Elementary (T)(RC)
Carpenter Elementary (Y)(RC)
Cedar Fork Elementary (T)(RC)
Green Hope Elementary (T)
Morrisville Elementary (Y)(RC)
Highcroft Drive Elementary (Y)(RC)

Hilliard school choices:
Highcroft Drive Elementary (Y)(RC)
Mills Park Elementary (T)(RC)
Carpenter Elementary (Y)(RC)
Turner Creek Elementary (Y)(RC)
Davis Drive Elementary (T)(RC)
Green Hope Elementary (T)
Morrisville Elementary (Y)(RC)

Somehow the Hilliard forest area looks to have more "residential" feel than Waterford. We have driven through the neighborhoods several times.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:08 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,235,896 times
I'd go with Hilliard. The trouble with with a sfh near an apartment is that apartment complexes never get nicer. As apartments age the quality of tenants goes down. I speak from experience as a landlord.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:42 AM

2 posts, read 2,431 times
We bought in HF after looking at both the neighborhoods. I liked the overall atmosphere in HF better than WF. I would second the opinion of others to go with Hilliard instead of WF due to the proximity to apartments & also to the sewage recycling plant.

The park close to HF is pretty good. Have a lot of play area for kids. In HF try to find a lot not very close to the road. Any thing inside is good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary