Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 09:52 PM

4 posts, read 6,914 times

Advertisements

I recently received a job offer in the Durham, NC area. I am looking to rent a decent apartment that will allow my 110lb Great Dane. I have narrowed my choices down to 2 places; Stonesthrow in Durham itself and Ashford Lakes in Hillsborough. I really just want to live some place that I feel safe in! Driving a few miles to go to a farmer's market or shopping is not a big deal. If anyone has any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated. I am really excited to see all that the Raleigh/Durham area has to offer!

Last edited by kaymush; 04-18-2012 at 10:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 07:27 AM

520 posts, read 1,016,547 times
Where in Durham is your job? Downtown, RTP side or elsewhere? The city proper of Durham is pretty big. Look where your job is compared to the appt. If you are working towards RTP livingin in Hillsborough may be quite a commute. Route 40 seems to always have a mess somewhere most mornings. Route 147 and 85 are a little better, but still have one or two days a month where they can be a parking lot too. So keep that in mind.

My husband works off TW Alexander, not too far from Stonesthrow (at least from what I see on Google maps) & he often drives into downtown Durham to meet me for lunch. Depending on traffic & lights it takes him 10 to 20 minutes. Stonesthrow would also put you more between Durham & Raleigh.

I don't know either specific appt. complex & am not overly familiar w/Hillsborough, but my opinion of the area near TW Alexander is it has a lot of business complexes. You'll find the appt. complexes & housing developments interspersed through the area, but no connecting neighborhoods. There are also strip malls & stores, so you can find what you need (groceries, restaurants, banks, etc). But you won't have sidewalks that expand out much past your complex or stores you can really walk to.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:32 AM

1,243 posts, read 2,239,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaymush View Post
I recently received a job offer in the Durham, NC area. I am looking to rent a decent apartment that will allow my 110lb Great Dane. I have narrowed my choices down to 2 places; Stonesthrow in Durham itself and Ashford Lakes in Hillsborough. I really just want to live some place that I feel safe in! Driving a few miles to go to a farmer's market or shopping is not a big deal. If anyone has any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated. I am really excited to see all that the Raleigh/Durham area has to offer!
Living in Hillsborough makes Raleigh a haul. In my opinion, if you want the Raleigh/Durham area then you should look somewhere other than Hillsborough.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:17 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Would you need to be close enough to go home every day to let your dog out? That would narrow it down a lot--Durham to Hillsborough would pretty much use up your whole lunch hour getting back and forth. I think you'd want to be near the office--what part of Durham will you be working in?

Old 04-19-2012, 12:36 PM

5 posts, read 9,536 times
I'd suggest you look into the Morrisville area - right between Durham and Cary.

Old 04-20-2012, 05:14 PM

4 posts, read 6,914 times
Thanks for all of your input. My job will be located at the Durham VA and I will not be driving home at lunch to let my dog out. According to Mapquest, the VA is 11 miles from the apartments in Hillsborough. I am sure that with traffic, it could turn into a bit of a drive. I'll definitely check out the Morrisville area. My big problem is finding an apartment that will allow my dog. Like I stated before, I just want someplace that I feel safe and comfortable in.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:00 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,278,872 times
Quote:
Thanks for all of your input. My job will be located at the Durham VA and I will not be driving home at lunch to let my dog out. According to Mapquest, the VA is 11 miles from the apartments in Hillsborough. I am sure that with traffic, it could turn into a bit of a drive. I'll definitely check out the Morrisville area. My big problem is finding an apartment that will allow my dog. Like I stated before, I just want someplace that I feel safe and comfortable in.
I enjoyed my stay at these apartments: Copper Mills - Copper Mill - Apartments for Rent in Durham, NC | About Us, near southpoint. Gated, safe, comfortable and never heard neighbors...seemed primarily professional/adult...definitely recommend on location and pretty sure they allow dogs (extra fee?). Good luck.

Old 04-20-2012, 07:29 PM

450 posts, read 1,553,942 times
Quote:
Since you're going to be working at the VA hospital, I would say that Hillsborough would be convenient (it's really not that bad to drive on I-85). However, I think you'll feel like you're out in the "sticks," if you know what I mean. Hillsborough is very small and you might do a bit better living closer to Durham.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:15 PM

162 posts, read 460,876 times
Hillsborough is very convenient to the VA hospital in Durham. There really isn't any traffic going that way in the morning or the afternoon. I drive it daily!

Old 04-20-2012, 08:32 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,542,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
I enjoyed my stay at these apartments: Copper Mills - Copper Mill - Apartments for Rent in Durham, NC | About Us, near southpoint. Gated, safe, comfortable and never heard neighbors...seemed primarily professional/adult...definitely recommend on location and pretty sure they allow dogs (extra fee?). Good luck.
I lived in these apartments right after they opened in the late 90s. When I was there the gate seemed to be open more than when it was closed at the times I was coming in and out, but I would imagine they fixed that problem. Sometimes the smell would waft up from the swamp below, not sure if that is still an issue - but I had either heat or AC on most of the time (typically no cross ventilation in apartments) so rarely noticed it. Very convenient to Durham/RTP/Chapel Hill.

In 15 years rent has only gone up $200 (30%), not sure how that compares to other complexes in the area. At the time I lived there, there were no other gated apartment communities in that area, in the last 15 years that feature has become much more popular.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary