Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 01:48 PM

449 posts, read 699,466 times

Advertisements

We would like to have a black metal fence installed around our very small backyard… we're planning to adopt a dog and want to let him/her out sometimes without a leash.

Right now we have no fencing except for one side where our neighbor's wood fence borders our yard. We're in an old downtown neighborhood and want to go the metal route to avoid the closed-in look, since we like the way things look right now without any fence, and feel that's the best option for matching the look of the area.

Anyone else here have such a thing installed? I'd like to read your recommendations, experiences, and advise, please!

Thanks...

Last edited by weblackey; 01-04-2012 at 01:54 PM.. Reason: addition
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 06:29 AM

612 posts, read 1,279,674 times
We had aluminum fence installed from Seegars a few years back (also in Durham), and are still extremely happy with it. After getting a lot of estimates they were easily the cheapest (for the same aluminum fencing from the same manufacturer). They were fast and professional and did a great job.

Seegars Fence Company -:- Residential & Commercial Fencing

Old 01-06-2012, 08:58 PM

151 posts, read 404,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j-mart77 View Post
We had aluminum fence installed from Seegars a few years back (also in Durham), and are still extremely happy with it. After getting a lot of estimates they were easily the cheapest (for the same aluminum fencing from the same manufacturer). They were fast and professional and did a great job.

Seegars Fence Company -:- Residential & Commercial Fencing
Ditto.

Just had it done about 3 weeks ago at my home in Apex, from Seegars.

Ask for Ken Manning. Class act. You can tell him Adam from Abbington sent you, he'll treat you right.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:31 AM

1,484 posts, read 4,154,484 times
Default beware

Just be aware that a cheap aluminum fence will have a less durable finish that can fade in just a few years. Go with a well know brand of fence.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:53 AM

838 posts, read 2,523,588 times
Had Seegar's put a fence up in my yard about 5 years ago. 6ft wood shadow box on the sides and back and aluminum that looks like wrought iron fencing on the front at left and right of the house. The metal fencing cost as much as the 3 wood sides, so consider that when putting in a fence. There were 2 different crews that installed the fence, one for the wood, one for the metal. Thought the metal crew did somewhat of a hack job, but it still looks nice. Had Delgard brand installed, black finish still looks ok, could be cleaned and look new. A few areas are chipped and had to replace a door latch once, but Delgard sent it free of charge. Have also had some problems with screw heads breaking at the door/gate hinges. Most likely has been improved by now, but was a pain to fix.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:44 AM

449 posts, read 699,466 times
Default Thank you everyone...

… and I'm somewhat aware that this will cost more than a wood fence. Just don't know how much more yet. But it's a small yard. And only 2 1/4 sides need fencing.

If I had a choice I'd love love love a real wrought iron fence, but that would be very expensive I know.

I'll put Seegars on the list of companies giving quotes, thanks!

Old 01-10-2012, 11:54 AM

838 posts, read 2,523,588 times
The cost difference is considerable. Believe we ended up with something like 400 linear ft of wood and 100 linear ft of metal. The wood was like $6k and the metal was $4k. If you go with a 4ft high fence, will be a little cheaper. We also had 2 gates put in and an entry door in the metal sections. This was at least 5 years ago too.

Old 01-10-2012, 12:02 PM

464 posts, read 1,043,505 times
Just out of curiousity, as this is something we are looking into, what is the $/ft they are quoting on average for the aluminum metal fence including installation?

ETA - thanks for the update caspian65

Old 01-11-2012, 06:39 AM

1,484 posts, read 4,154,484 times
Default diy

Have you considered diy? VERY easy to install aluminum fence your self, even more witha small install.

I did one myself and was done in a weekend start to finish. Easy on the back because its light.

You can get all the major brands online shipped to you. The only tools needed was a post hole digger (manual one) scew driver and a way to cut the fence if needed. Using a reciprocating saw with metal blade.

Typical savings is huge, since installation is usally almost the same cost as the fence.

seegars does good work and doesnt use cheap stuff, have seen a few that they have put up.

Old 01-11-2012, 11:01 AM

464 posts, read 1,043,505 times
I would consider DIY however there is a huge vein of granite that runs along a slope on the back of my property that would be quite impossible to use a manual post digger on.

Any other recs other then Seegars?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary