Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 12:03 PM

22,672 posts, read 36,810,996 times

Advertisements

Try not to get your news from blogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 06:13 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,344,694 times
Jusz, have you been to visit? If Chapel Hill/Carrboro appeals to you I think it's a great area and the school system does have a well-deserved good reputation, especially for high-achievers. Check out the area SAT scores: SAT scores dip slightly in N.C. - Education - NewsObserver.com . CHC schools typically bring in the highest scores for a public school system in the state. The CHC high schools can be very competitive. The area of greatest concern for the CHC schools is the achievement gap, but the lowest performing group still performs above state average.

If Wake county appeals more, I think the Wake County schools will shake out, but the system is in a bit of flux right now. There are very good schools in the Wake system, too.

Orange County is a smaller system than CHCCS and it has a pretty good rep, too.

There are good schools in the Durham system, too.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:32 AM

699 posts, read 1,706,757 times
If I was looking for the best school system for our kids, it would be CH/C, hands down.

For academics, $10,000/year beats $7000/year, higher test scores, stable, smaller system...

That said, CH/C does not have the socio-economic diversity that Wake County or Durham has so your children will likely not gain the experience of interacting on a daily basis with students from differing backgrounds/circumstances. We thought that was important for our kids as they would be living in a diverse world, so we made a point of enrolling them in magnet schools. That part worked out. Our grown children have worked in struggling communities, lived with families in Kenya, etc. and felt at ease.

However, we found that classes could only move as fast as the slowest students and when our children were in classes with students from homes where no one was reading, helping with homework, doing math flashcards, etc., our children were the ones helping other students with reading, homework, math flashcards, etc.

We found that our children were not being challenged academically, were not learning their times tables, reading interesting books, doing any fascinating science projects. We ended up doing a lot of tutoring at home. By middle school, we had pulled all of our kids out of public school and did a combination of homeschooling and private schools until high school.

It all worked out, but if I had to do it over again, I'd look for summer and afterschool activities for diversity experiences.

I would recommend starting out in CH/C. See what you think. Renting would be a good idea for awhile. Even if it means putting stuff in storage for awhile. Get a feel for the neighborhoods, where you shop, where your husband coworkers live, what activities your kids get involved in. No rush to buy a house as housing prices are still going down.

Good luck.

Old 04-25-2012, 11:14 AM

PatRoy, I think there's actually quite a bit of diversity in the CHC schools. There's a large Hispanic population, a sizeable African American population, Asian population and Indian and others as well. There is a large Burmese refugee community in Carrboro and they have Burmese school at night at the elementary.

CHC Schools also offer a dual language program in Spanish. There is currently one in Mandarin also, but I believe the latest is they are going to phase that out and ramp up the Spanish one to even more schools.

My kids have been exposed to much more diversity than I ever was as a child in school.

Old 04-25-2012, 04:35 PM

699 posts, read 1,706,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
PatRoy, I think there's actually quite a bit of diversity in the CHC schools. There's a large Hispanic population, a sizeable African American population, Asian population and Indian and others as well. There is a large Burmese refugee community in Carrboro and they have Burmese school at night at the elementary.

CHC Schools also offer a dual language program in Spanish. There is currently one in Mandarin also, but I believe the latest is they are going to phase that out and ramp up the Spanish one to even more schools.

My kids have been exposed to much more diversity than I ever was as a child in school.
I'm impressed.

Old 04-25-2012, 05:29 PM

Yes, all the PTA meetings I've been to are dual language Spanish/English, also. Often there's a Karen (Burmese) translator as well. My kids are at Carrboro Elementary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary