Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 11:09 PM

5 posts, read 16,753 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am moving to NC this summer and have 2 kids ready for 5th grade and kindergarten.
I can not decide between Wake county and Orange county.
Schools seems to be good in Wake county but the choice program leaves so much uncertainity.
Also, wondering if the home values in the much desired school areas will go down because of this...
leaves me with my next dilemma, buy or rent for a year and see what happens..
any insights from the localites will be greatly appreciated...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 01:06 AM

242 posts, read 594,266 times
This is just my opinion, but it would come down to which area you preferred to live in because can't go you wrong with with either school district. (Btw, are you speaking of Orange Cty schools or Chapel Hill/Carrborro schools because they are 2 separate districts)

Personally, I would rent first until I was more familiar with the area. This way you'll make a more informed decision.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:47 AM

Thank You TwinPrincess. I appreciate that.

Yes, I guess I am trying to pick a place to rent/buy...
torn between Chapell hill, Cary, Morisville and Apex. I am new to this place, Have some friends in Cary, but the school reassignment system scars me. Why are chapell hill schools not rated as well as Wake county schools in Greatschools site? It is really making my decision tough.

I really really want good schools for my kids and have a house where I wouldn't have any problem selling again if I have to...
Is there a community like that , which is a sure bet?

Old 04-24-2012, 07:17 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusz View Post
Why are chapell hill schools not rated as well as Wake county schools in Greatschools site?
Something's amiss.

Read this document for some facts on Chapel Hill Carrboro City Schools

Old 04-24-2012, 07:23 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Tough time to move into Wake County schools IMHO. I'm sorry for anyone having to deal with it this year. I think it will all shake out OK. You're never going to appease every single family in the county but in the end I think most people will end up happy. However, if you're moving with school age kids and can't tell where they are going to go, you're not going to be happy.

Renting is a fine idea, but a lot depends on your 5th grader. You're talking about potential multiple school moves at a very sensitive age. Some kids will handle that better than others.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:22 AM

1,277 posts, read 3,548,381 times
Please keep in mind that some elementaries in Wake County are Year Round -- and the Year Round school year starts July 1st. Not all the 'tracks' start at the same time though but when you say 'summer', just wanted to throw that out there so you don't move in late July, find a year round elementary school that has already started when you are not expecting it.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:24 AM

9,779 posts, read 15,790,796 times
What is your budget? If you have the funds to move into Chapel Hill/Carrboro City schools, I would do it. The system is much, much smaller than Wake, and the school assignments are much more stable. In additon to that, they have the reputation as being the best school district in the state (and we can argue ad nauseum whether that is true or not), which translates into greater demand for houses in the district and generally more stable prices.

No area is recession proof, however, and home values went down here as they did everywhere else. But with everything else being even, a homebuyer is going to buy the house with the better schools versus the one without.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:47 AM

Thank you WeLuvNC .. We are indeed planning to be there after July..
When I called the WCPSS they said the schools start on Aug 27th... Is that not true?
Boy, I think I have to call them again... I sure dont want my kid to start late in school...

@michgc: Thanks for the info, I'll look much closer into the chapell Hill schools...
My Husband will be working in the RPT area, so looking for a place around 10 to 20 mins from RTP..

In one of the blogs I just read, someone said wake county has no budget for books anymore?
how are kids supposed to learn and retain the concepts if they dont have books?
Is it safe to assume that, Chapell Hill schools do not have that issue?

Old 04-24-2012, 11:20 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
When I called the WCPSS they said the schools start on Aug 27th... Is that not true??
Tradional calendar starts the 27th. Year round starts July 9 or July 30 depending on track.

Go to www.wcpss.net and click on "calendars" on the left sidebar.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:35 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
Quote:
In one of the blogs I just read, someone said wake county has no budget for books anymore? how are kids supposed to learn and retain the concepts if they dont have books? Is it safe to assume that, Chapell Hill schools do not have that issue?
I can't speak specifically to Wake County, but please don't interpret reduced funding for books as meaning there are no books. Funding is about adding to or replacing existing textbook stock.

You'd have to scour CHCCS budget data, but there have been some small reductions in budget expenditures for textbooks in the past five years, as every school district in the state of NC has been squeezed. Still, CHCCS spends a lot per pupil (total spending) relative to other NC school districts - 2nd highest in the state. (Wake spends about $7500 per student; CHCCS spends about $10,500.) Property taxes in Chapel Hill and Carrboro are significantly higher than in Wake County to support this level of school funding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary