Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2012, 10:41 AM

9 posts, read 11,927 times

Advertisements

I have been hunting through the posts and saw quite a few things I might find difficult adjusting to. Heat and humidity is a concern but not a deal breaker. I lived in Vegas for quite a few years so I know hell just a different kind of hell from what I could tell from the posts.

My main question, my hubby us in process of a new job in RTP area. It will pay for relocation and we will be making a nice increase so we can afford to be picky on where we go. As I am from California I am at a loss as to How far everything is and how long it takes to get around the area. If the map for the area was of Cali I would think no way would I live in Raleigh when Durham is so far away. We are used to commutes of 40 min and that is not a problem but I have no point of reference on how far that is when looking at maps.

We would like to research rural type areas a commutable distance from RTP most likely close to the hub whatever that might be. I would love to have the option of a horse in the back yard and maybe some ducks and chickens. We have dogs and cats to relocate are there predators that we will need to be wary of? Out here we don't let the cats out because of coyotes is there an equivalent there?

Schools? Private or public? I have concern where we are due to such budget cuts that I think the education is lacking the extras that should be there like art and music. Sports are even being cut here.

We have no clue what we are getting into. I would love to get any and all advice on where to live. We are upper middle class and need to live accordingly. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Tammy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 11:20 AM

1,737 posts, read 2,573,818 times
Check out the Bahama area ust north of Durham (ba-Hay-ma). It is a rural area with lots of nice rolling hills.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:39 AM

Thanks. I'll go hunting for that right now.

Old 04-25-2012, 02:47 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,848,721 times
Raleigh to Durham is 21.5 miles according to MapQuest...course depends on where you are located in Raleigh and Durham, but just as an approximate.

I'm from SoCal too and I get the impression the Triangle area is much closer together than the longer distances here we are used to, to get from one area to another.

Old 04-25-2012, 04:41 PM

2 posts, read 11,370 times
It's really not that far to get around here. You could definitely try Morrisville, Apex, or Cary. Those are really nice areas. If you get out further in the towns they have horses and/or stables to board horses. The only bad thing about these areas is the mass transit is not common. You really have to have a car here. You can't really walk anywhere unless you live in a smaller community with a little shopping center close. I am not really a fan of the Raleigh-Durham area. I lived in D.C. for almost 4 years and I like that atmosphere better. There isn't a big night life either. Quite a bit of difference between California and North Carolina. Good luck with the move and adjustment.

Old 04-25-2012, 05:34 PM

Thanks everyone. In sd you need a car as mass transit just does not work. We are used to taking anywhere from 20 minutes to 1hr to get to work and back.
I grew up 27 miles outside of downtown San Diego in a rual area with 2.5 acres. It's not much compared to what I can tell in nc but I would like something like that or larger for my family where we can have a garden and maybe some horses in the back yard or at a boarding farm not too far away.

I did find a few equestrian developments with a barn in it and the houses were going for around 300,000. Is this normal for a huge 2000 plus sq ft house ? If so we will be fine. It would be cheaper than San Diego by a long shot.

So far we are excited by what we see but I am still scared of culture shock. Please scare me a little so I have an idea what I might be in for. I have never been east of Nevada in the US so I am a little spooked but have romantic ideas about the east coast .

Old 04-25-2012, 07:52 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,212,465 times
1. we are, and have been for a long time, a HUGE inbound area for years - that means far more people move here, and love it, than move away
2. Yes, you will find our home prices insanely lower than SoCal
3. About the only thing anyone has ever complained about here - and you live in Nirvana - is the summer heat. But you will get enough temperature changes throughout the year to realize 4 seasons. Oversimplified, we stay above freezing in the winter, and below 95 in the summer (of course we have days below and above).
4. We don't yet have anything near the congestion you're used to - the busiest commute you could have would be Raleigh to RTP which would typically be ~30 minutes, 1 hour if there's a bunch of wrecks. If you find an area you like with more land, etc then you can expect the same since there will be fewer people coming from there to RTP.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:29 PM

Now that answer makes sense. I would love to buy a serious horse farm but to be out of the way on top of commute might br too much for my poor hubby. He did chula vista to del mar and hated it. From what I can tell it would be like going from one end of the area to the other. In rush hour it would take him 1.5 hours. No traffic 80 mph you can make it in under 30. All freeway. But it took a tank of gas a week on his tundra. That's sucked because he was making about half what he makes now. It was tight with gas going up and up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary