Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 09:56 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,632,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsbadmojo View Post
Went to Kemp's over the weekend. Not good at all. If you're going to serve fried seafood; that's fine - do it well. Heck, Long John Silver's fries up better fish. My wife got BBQ shrimp - not bad, but certainly not great. 2 adult meals, no appetizers, no booze and a cheeseburger - $50.

It would take wild horses to get me back to that place.
Kemps seems to be a certain 'style' of fried seafood that is popular with some folks down here.

Like you, we went once, and won't ever be back. Portions were nice sized....but....just not worth it. There is better elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2007, 11:11 PM

5 posts, read 13,170 times
I would not recommend Ocean Stars in Apex, We had to resend a dish back, and the worst service ever. 2 nd time there and wont be going back. It was saturday night and peak time and there was a handful of people there.

Old 11-06-2007, 05:36 AM

2,275 posts, read 6,287,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
Kemps seems to be a certain 'style' of fried seafood that is popular with some folks down here.

Like you, we went once, and won't ever be back. Portions were nice sized....but....just not worth it. There is better elsewhere.
The "style" is called Calabash, and it's meant to be lightly friend, not heavily crusted like Long John Silver's.

Old 12-05-2007, 12:53 PM

2 posts, read 5,680 times
I'm thinking of going to the North Seafood Bistro this weekend. Anybody been there?

Old 12-05-2007, 01:37 PM

475 posts, read 1,570,652 times
Default Fishmonger's

Surprised noone mentioned this...it is near Brighleaf Square Mall in Durham, and the food is really nice, the fish is very fresh. Have tried Ocean Star, after the 3rd dismal food offering there, not going back...

Old 12-05-2007, 01:49 PM

1,886 posts, read 4,798,749 times
Bonefish is about as good a chain restaurant as you will ever find, but the menu focuses on grilled fish entrees. We love it but it is very different from what most NC natives think of when they think "seafood restaurant".
If you like the fried seafood thing my two favorites are the state-operated seafood restaurant at the Farmer's Market in Raleigh and Skipper's in Apex (on NC55). I came away unimpressed with Tony's but loved 42nd Street.

Old 12-05-2007, 02:51 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,907,562 times
I can reccomend Blue Fin's Bistro in Wake Forest.

Not paper plate, but not froo-froo. Relatively small, maybe 20 tables? What looks liek local art on the walls. I had a dish with shrimp, scallops and crab meat and everything was cooked perfectly. My wife ordered shrimp and grits raviloi - original and delish! Meal was about the same price as Kemp's and roughly 2 bazillion times better.

Old 12-05-2007, 06:09 PM

4,596 posts, read 11,413,051 times
When I used to come to Raleigh to visit, or with my husband on business, we always made a point to go downtown to 42nd Street Oyster Bar. Deee-licious. The menu offers a lot of variety, and I love the New England clam chowder, full of clams.

We also like the Bonefish Grill, but it is largely grilled fish choices. The bang bang shrimp are a great appetizer, and I especially like the sea bass they prepare.

Most Mom and Pops seafood restaurants will be fried platters, much like you find down on the coast. Some like Calabash-style, but I find it awfully heavy. Capt'n Stanley's was good the time(s) I have been, too. I think Shucker's is on Capital Boulevard towards Wake Forest, isn't it? Past the Mill Outlet Village fabric store? My nephew lived over that way while he was in college, and he loved Shuckers.

Old 12-05-2007, 06:52 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,632,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
When I used to come to Raleigh to visit, or with my husband on business, we always made a point to go downtown to 42nd Street Oyster Bar. Deee-licious. The menu offers a lot of variety, and I love the New England clam chowder, full of clams.

We also like the Bonefish Grill, but it is largely grilled fish choices. The bang bang shrimp are a great appetizer, and I especially like the sea bass they prepare.

Most Mom and Pops seafood restaurants will be fried platters, much like you find down on the coast. Some like Calabash-style, but I find it awfully heavy. Capt'n Stanley's was good the time(s) I have been, too. I think Shucker's is on Capital Boulevard towards Wake Forest, isn't it? Past the Mill Outlet Village fabric store? My nephew lived over that way while he was in college, and he loved Shuckers.
Yup...it's well past the Mill Fabric outlet (which I love as well). Shuckers is great. It's not fancy...but it offers fresh seafood and some other meat choices prepared well in a variety of ways (fried, grilled etc etc)....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary