Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2012, 10:17 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankpc View Post
I'd remind folks voting to vote *both* sides of the ballot. As an example, the Durham County Republican ballot has the Amendment (and only the Amendment) on the back.
Yes, I've been told by a trained poll judge that there is a very specific order that all races must be listed in, starting with President, going down...and then nonpartisan races (judges) last among the "people" races, then any "non-people" races such as bonds or referenda like this one must be at the very end. This usually/often means they are on the back, even if there looks like there is room on the front to fit it, because they can't spilt a race and have some candidates on the front and others on the back (judges, for example) which of course woudl be unfair.

You can go to your name on the Board of Elections Lookup site and print out a sample ballot that will look exactly like yours, to give you a chance to study the candidates in advance AND see exactly what it looks like, front and back.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:42 AM

328 posts, read 767,265 times
Francois, are you a Facebook fan of George Takei!? I just watched that video 20 minutes ago. Heartbreaking.

I'm so anxious to hear the voting results... won't be long now.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:47 AM

915 posts, read 2,382,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netbrad View Post
Anytime an amendment support attempts to bring up such an argument (as I have), they get shouted down as hateful, bronze age bigots (as I was). However, because those doing the namecalling are against this amendment as is the moderator, they get a pass. Something to think about.
I have yet to see any argument put forth on this thread in favor of the amendment that is not simply "I dislike/hate/distrust gay folks".

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 05-08-2012 at 11:11 AM.. Reason: Deleted inappropriate comment

Old 05-08-2012, 11:02 AM

2,464 posts, read 4,166,163 times
The results will speak more volumes about how people actually feel than any polling or online chats. The amendment will pass. I doubt it's even close. Anyone old enough or in NC long enough to remember the Helms/Gant election in the early 90s should know that what people say in public vs what they punch in the polling booth may be two drastically different things. People will tell you they oppose the amendment, and then vote for it behind a curtain. It's never hip or popular to be narrow minded....but many more people are closet 'phobes than they will admit.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:13 AM

621 posts, read 2,218,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
I don't know if it has shifted, but the Amendment has heavy support among the Black community - a traditionally Democratic voting block. Earlier polls showed 2-1 support among Blacks for the Amendment.
This is one of those headscratchers ... as a minority, I find that basic common sense leads me to vote against hate. I guess some people are blinded by the smoke and mirrors of someone else's "teachings".

Old 05-08-2012, 11:22 AM

794 posts, read 1,325,608 times
Default Tissues, please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post

It is a good thing I work from home because I am bawling!

This whole thing is just utterly senseless to me. As I was voting against the amendment this morning, I had an urge to write in some strongly worded opinions of my own on the ballot, but I figured it would invalidate it so I held my tongue (or pen, as it were).

Didn't experience/see any shenanigans at the polls, either, luckily. I heard the polling workers repeat to each person behind me to be sure to turn it over because there was more on the back. No opinions, one way or another.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:46 AM

260 posts, read 545,805 times
There are some reports of wrong ballots being handed out to those "over 18" - they are getting an "under 18" ballot, which doesn't have the amendment on it at all. (In NC, you may vote at 17 in a primary if you will be 18 before the November election - but only on primary issues, which the amendment vote is not) I'm hoping that all people are well enough informed to go back and make sure to ask for the correct ballot if this happens to them.

Also, one person was told, when asking for help, "to vote the way the Bible tell you". That poll worker has been reported by now, hopefully.

My boss summed it up perfectly: The anger and hate that we are experiencing with the "For" side of the vote could be equated to the "death throws" of an era. If this does pass, it will end up being repealed by the upcoming generation, and there is hatred and a desperate attempt to hang on to what is "known" out of fear of the "unknown". Sad, but rather accurate.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:51 AM

794 posts, read 1,325,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Yes, I've been told by a trained poll judge that there is a very specific order that all races must be listed in, starting with President, going down...and then nonpartisan races (judges) last among the "people" races, then any "non-people" races such as bonds or referenda like this one must be at the very end. This usually/often means they are on the back, even if there looks like there is room on the front to fit it, because they can't spilt a race and have some candidates on the front and others on the back (judges, for example) which of course woudl be unfair.

You can go to your name on the Board of Elections Lookup site and print out a sample ballot that will look exactly like yours, to give you a chance to study the candidates in advance AND see exactly what it looks like, front and back.
Heard from a friend in Wake county (I'm in Durham). Amendment One was on the front on her ballot (democrat). We figured it was because of the different districts and the number of canidates that are running might push it to the back in some districts.

Either way...just look on both sides to be sure you got everything.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:19 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by douknownam View Post
I have yet to hear one valid argument for changing the constitution--saying God wants it that way isn't a valid argument. What ever happened to separating church and state?
The so-called separation of church and state is a reference to the First Amendment, which speaks of STATE establishment of religion and STATE restrictions on free exercise of religion. It says nothing about CHURCH involvement in political affairs, or the right of individuals to vote their conscience, values, beliefs or theology. I may not agree with it, but that doesn't make it invalid, in my view.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:52 PM

97 posts, read 315,610 times
I asked a friend about the legality of this ammendment and wondered if NC recognizes civil court rules regarding adoptions, wills, etc. and if so, wouldn't we also be bound to recognize civil unions in other states. I'm particulary concerned about situations like a gay couple married in another state being in NC, one dying and their partner being denied the right to make decisions as a spouse because NC refuses to recognize their union. He replied that until recently, two legal principals were of prime importance: (1) every state gives "full faith and credit" to the laws of every other state; and (2) courts are bound to follow legal precedent. He also said this ammendment is more dangerous than a ban on gay marriage because by providing that any kind of civil union is invalid, it will forbid our state courts and legislature to follow contrary precedent or to give full faith and credit to the laws of other states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary