Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 03:27 PM

97 posts, read 315,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by netbrad View Post
I don't recall anyone on this forum making such a statement. Attitudes such as this is why rational discussion is not possible with the anti-amendment crowd. Their default stance is "anyone against the groupthink is doubleplusungood and we will refer to them as hateful and bigoted".

I support the amendment because it defines marriage based on thousands of years of human history. That is it. I don't go to church, read the bible or hate anyone. I simply believe society needs to hold on to certain traditional definitions.
Do you believe the ammendment is necessary since NC law apparently already defines marriage as between a man and a woman?

Old 05-08-2012, 03:37 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,356,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laneynewport View Post
Do you believe the ammendment is necessary since NC law apparently already defines marriage as between a man and a woman?
There is a case that can be made that the US Supreme Court could overturn such laws. It has happened in the past for other "morality" based laws, such as sodomy laws that were overturned less than 10 years ago.

Old 05-08-2012, 03:42 PM

Right, right. I get what you're saying. What I'M saying is, if NC courts or the U.S. Supreme Court ever decides that our current law defining marriage as a union between a man and a woman is unconstitutional, couldn't they just as easily declare this ammendment as unconstitional? Does anyone get what I'm saying? This ammendment is pointless and does nothing to keep marriage from being redefined in the future. Whatever side of this issue you're on, it accomplishes nothing.

Old 05-08-2012, 03:43 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,448,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb View Post
There is a case that can be made that the US Supreme Court could overturn such laws. It has happened in the past for other "morality" based laws, such as sodomy laws that were overturned less than 10 years ago.
The Supreme Court can also overturn anything in a state constitution that it finds to be in violation of the U.S. Constitution. This amendment will change nothing in that regard.

Old 05-08-2012, 03:45 PM

915 posts, read 2,382,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscomac View Post
The Supreme Court can also overturn anything in a state constitution that it finds to be in violation of the U.S. Constitution. This amendment will change nothing in that regard.
But the *state* Supreme Court must make it's rulings in accordance with the state constitution and state law. The state constitution supersedes state law.

Old 05-08-2012, 03:54 PM

875 posts, read 1,162,544 times
Um, it is well documented throughout history that the traditional definition of marriage has been between one man and one woman (or in some cases one man to multiple women). You will have to pardon me if I don't have several hundred academic articles on the history of marriage memorized to cite to you. You can find them if you look. Best I can do right now are the Wikipedia citations but some of those articles are behind a paywall.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 05-08-2012 at 04:08 PM.. Reason: Edited out reference to deleted post

Old 05-08-2012, 03:55 PM

915 posts, read 2,382,750 times
Quote:
I support the amendment because it defines marriage based on thousands of years of human history. That is it.
The amendment states nothing directly about marriage, but instead describes domestic legal unions. So, the amendment does not define marriage.

I take it then that you are also opposed to civil unions or domestic partnerships?

Old 05-08-2012, 03:56 PM

Still, it would not require a U.S. Supreme Court ruling to overturn the ammendment. NC lawmakers could do that if and when NC ever got to the point where social pressure demanded it. I am in favor of gay couples having the right to be legally married, however having lived in NC all my life, I know that our state is nowhere near making that kind of change. That's why this ammendment is pointless and can only make things more difficult for domestic partners, gay or straight.

Old 05-08-2012, 04:04 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Quote:
I support the amendment because it defines marriage based on thousands of years of human history. That is it. I don't go to church, read the bible or hate anyone. I simply believe society needs to hold on to certain traditional definitions.
What was wrong with the NC Law that very clearly already defined that?

BTW, better check your "thousands of years". Marriage in the past has included polygamy, arranged marriages for the purpose of property transfer (often when the "bride and groom" were infants), bartering a daughter for goods, and of course celebrity marriages such as Kim Kardashian's "traditional" 72-day marriage recently.

Old 05-08-2012, 04:09 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
As for the fearmongering "OMG, an "Activist Judge" is going to overturn the existingt law any minute now!!!"

Even an amendment supporter debunks this claim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary