Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 05:34 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times

Advertisements

The only thing more embarrassing than having this hateful and ignorant amendment being proposed is the possibility that there are enough hateful and ignorant voters in the state to support it.

iow: Another no vote.

Old 04-27-2012, 05:39 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,714,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
I absolutely LOATHE that phrase "activist judges". It is such a loaded BS word.
+1. If you're really against "activist" judges deciding law, you should oppose this amendment because it is vague and will only create more opportunities for judicial "activism". Be careful of unintended consequences.

Old 04-27-2012, 07:10 AM

1,215 posts, read 1,809,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redandorangeskittles View Post
I look forward to voting against this amendment next week.
One of my friends gets health insurance from her boyfriend and she is unable to work because of chronic illnesses that have left her disabled. If this passes, I doubt she will be able to get insurance on her own for a reasonable price.

This is a message that keeps getting lost in the discussion. This will affect all unmarried couples regardless of sexual orientation. It affects my daughter and her boyfriend as well as many others I know.

Old 04-27-2012, 07:13 AM

43,279 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
I am against the amendment too, but providing a bully pulpit on a statewide issue was a poor decision on the part of the mod. Opened up a can of worms. This thread should be in NC section. I am afraid inclusion in a local forum plays right into the hands of those that see "the dreaded liberal agenda" everywhere.
But, it is not a "liberal issue."

Renee Ellmers is anti, and no one has ever accused her of being a liberal.

ETA:
I'm claiming rights to "can of worms." I used it first...

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 04-27-2012 at 08:26 AM..

Old 04-27-2012, 08:10 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,832,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
I am against the amendment too, but providing a bully pulpit on a statewide issue was a poor decision on the part of the mod. Opened up a can of worms. This thread should be in NC section. I am afraid inclusion in a local forum plays right into the hands of those that see "the dreaded liberal agenda" everywhere.
No one's forcing you to participate in the discussion .....

Old 04-27-2012, 08:26 AM

794 posts, read 1,325,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitsong View Post
This is a message that keeps getting lost in the discussion. This will affect all unmarried couples regardless of sexual orientation. It affects my daughter and her boyfriend as well as many others I know.
That was my reason for posting the article. I already knew I was voting against the amendment because I don't believe in taking away someone's rights because of their sexual orientation...but I had no idea the other issues it could cause.

And, if same-sex marriage is already against the law in NC (as the article said) then why a constitutional amendment as well? It just seems like an extremist view to point fingers and say once again "we don't like your kind here." Heartless.

Old 04-27-2012, 08:36 AM

43,279 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_widget View Post
That was my reason for posting the article. I already knew I was voting against the amendment because I don't believe in taking away someone's rights because of their sexual orientation...but I had no idea the other issues it could cause.

And, if same-sex marriage is already against the law in NC (as the article said) then why a constitutional amendment as well? It just seems like an extremist view to point fingers and say once again "we don't like your kind here." Heartless.
1. People can only theorize regarding the impact.

2. Judges, "activist" or otherwise, will decide the impact in the ensuing court cases.
The motive to get it into the constitution is to control the venues and protect the current law from judges.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:03 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,154,062 times
I think it's interesting seeing which Republican representatives have been speaking out against it.

I do believe that if it does get passed, it'll only be a matter of time before it gets strike down by the US Supreme Court similar to Loving v Virginia.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:39 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,448,245 times
Unless someone is afraid of elected state judges being liberal activists, that argument makes no sense. The U.S. Supreme Court is not bound by the NC Constitution, and the U.S. Constitution (and federal court/Supreme Court interpretations thereof) will trump the state constitution.

(another vote against)

Old 04-27-2012, 10:56 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,936,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompope View Post
By golly, those counties with the most early voting activity appear to be the ones likely to lean most emphatically against Amendment One.
I am not convinced that Orange County will vote emphatically against the Amendment. Voting patterns in Orange County tend to be split - with the more urbanized areas (Chapel Hill, Carrboro and Hillsborough voting more liberally) and the rural areas voting more conservatively. I think it will fail in Orange, but not by a huge margin. I could be wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary