Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 06:25 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,053,480 times

Advertisements

I would like to visit the Triangle this summer and want to come when the humidity is at its worst. Want to see for myself just how bad it is.

Which month should I come? When do you feel like you cannot stand it anymore? I assume you all just deal with it and do things normally, right? Or does everyone stay inside in the AC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 06:49 PM

162 posts, read 460,688 times
My vote would be for August but July can be a killer and so can September. Many people stay inside with the AC on during the afternoon but I think as the summer goes on, you get used to it and venture outside more often. There are only a few days I think it's totally miserable; most of the time it's bearable and doesn't interupt my life too much.

Old 04-28-2012, 06:55 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
In general I'd say August, but really July, August and September can all be pretty brutal.

Old 04-28-2012, 07:13 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
I disagree about September. It's often beautiful and the humidity starts dropping then. I think overall June is much worse than September.

However, PHXBarb, if you want humidity at it's worst I'd say August. Pretty much, though, it's all summer. You can check out the previous humidity levels in Raleigh at History | Weather Underground .

Basically at it's worst it's like you just stepped out of the shower and it stays that way all day long.

hth

Old 04-28-2012, 07:18 PM

1,036 posts, read 1,952,476 times
August. Of course, if you really want humidity, wait until a hurricane hits and there's no A/C for a week. Not much can prepare you for that.

Old 04-28-2012, 07:24 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,895,302 times
I'd say August. I think this is a big reason most locals would say August is the hottest month, when in fact July has higher average temps. ( a fact I first learned from Francois, about the temps)

Old 04-28-2012, 08:12 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Tuesdays from mid June to end of July - that's the nights we have swim meets, always the hottest most humid days of the summer.

Ok seriously - probably end of July through August. If you're coming from Phoenix I'm sure you'll find it unbearable. I'm from Long Island and it can be muggy in the early morning but other than that, we do not get what everyone complains about. We go to the pool every day during the summer; I bring a book and sit in the shade. Just like when you live in the northeast, you don't crawl back into bed when the snowflakes start falling, here you don't sit inside just because it's a hot day.

Old 04-29-2012, 07:34 AM

1,751 posts, read 3,686,955 times
I'm wondering what you would 'normally' do on a summer day that you can't do when it is humid?

I work in the AC 40 hours per week...commute 10 more hours. Come home and cook and eat, run a load of laundry Go to the gym, to Walmart, pick up the kids, etc. At some poitnt we go on vacation-to the beach where the humidity isn't as much of an issue.

If it is super-humid I may not go for a walk or work in the yard. On weekends I can go to a movie or back to school shopping or go to the pool.

I just thought of one thing I won't do...Last July I went to the Festival for the Eno in Durham. It was so stinkin hot and humid my daughter and I felt ill. Sitting on a blanket in the shade and listening to music was unbearable. I love the event but it isn't worth the weather. I'd rather go to Shakori Hills music festival in the fall. But over all there is so much to do here that adjusting plans because of the weather just helps narrow the options, it doesn't limit them!

Old 04-29-2012, 07:56 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,823,956 times
Sorting the hottest month by greatest moisture content in the air,
the most humid month is

July (80.2 dFwb and 90.8 dF and 63.6 %RH), the next is
Aug (79.5 dFwb and 90.0 dF and 63.6 %RH), the next is
Jun (78.5 dFwb and 89.2 dF and 62.7 %RH), the next is
May (75.6 dFwb and 85.0 dF and 75.6 %RH).

This information comes from the source that the Raleigh building codes require for use when sizing air conditioning systems (for large buildings, at the most extreme conditions, according to weather statistics).
(dFwb = Wet Bulb, in degrees Fahrenheit, and is the temperature measured with the thermometer kept moist - the official method of measuring humidity).

Old 04-29-2012, 07:59 AM

2,464 posts, read 4,163,456 times
June through September, it'll be miserable about 75+ of those 124 or so days!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary