Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2012, 07:12 AM

3 posts, read 4,339 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm a twentysomething year old woman whose moving to the Triangle area later this Summer for a job in Durham. I'm super excited. Though I grew up in New York, I've lived in several different states (including Roanoke, VA) and I like taking a place for what it is.

I need some advice as where I should start looking for housing. I don't want to my commute to be more than 20-30 minutes. I'm into the arts (especially literature,) and I would love an apartment with character (not too much, I want appliances to work and I don't want to deal with pests or anything).

Basically, I need to be near work, have a life outside of work, be safe, and have a lovely living space. My budget is between $600-800/per month. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 07:37 AM

924 posts, read 2,102,961 times
lielle123, where in Durham will you be working? That may partly dictate what your best options are. Durham (or the Triangle as a whole, for that matter) isn't a huge city, and traffic isn't generally an overwhelming consideration the way it is in bigger cities. But it still may be good to be in the same general part of town where you'll be working, since this area unfortunately doesn't have great public transportation at this point, and you might as well minimize the hassle of your commute as much as you reasonably can, especially if you want to limit it to 20 or 30 minutes.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:24 AM

I'll be at Durham Academy....I don't know what part of town that is.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:05 AM

285 posts, read 492,995 times
First of all, welcome to Durham and congratulations on your job. Durham Academy is an excellent school. It's located just off of the 15-501 corridor that runs from Durham to Chapel Hill. There are two campuses about two miles apart: Upper and Lower School north of 15-501 on Ridge Rd., Middle School just south of 15-501 on Academy Rd.

You might find the sort of rentals you're describing in downtown Durham near the ballpark and also near Duke's East Campus, in neighborhoods like Trinity Park, Old North Durham, Ninth Street, and Watts Hospital. There are some wonderful old factories that have been turned into apartment buildings. However, I don't have a good sense of what kind of rents they charge.

Good luck with your search and your new job!

Old 04-30-2012, 07:38 AM

520 posts, read 1,016,295 times
Like any city Durham has some neighborhoods w/a higher crime rate than others. These can help you in evaluating areas as you start looking at appartments.
RAIDS is a good resource for checking on crime in an area.
RAIDS Online - Crime mapping, email reports and tips for the public
There is also Spot Crime:
Durham, NC Crime Map - Showing Crimes in Durham - Crime Statistics, Alerts and Reports - Crime Stops Here

Like MsT89 said, downtown Durham is nice and there are appartments, like West Village that are converted tobacco warehouses & older buildings. That might give you the character you are looking for. I don't know how prices run. You would be close to everything (restaurants, bars, bus line, salons, the ball park/Performing Arts Center, etc) except a grocery store.

Nineth street may also have something for you. That is also a lot of restaurants, shops, etc. and very close to the Duke campus - which has lots to offer to non-students (concerts, plays, etc).

A lot of people like the area around Southpoint Mall too. I think more standard, recently built appartments, but lots in the area besides just the mall. If you do check that area just be careful there that you don't end up having to commute on Rt 40. That can be a big mess. In fact in general, I would say avoid having to commute on Rt 40 or 85 if possible. Seems like there is always heavy traffic & at least once a week I hear about some big accident backing everything up on one or both of these highways.

As for a life outside work - try Meetup.com. There are so many groups there, I'm sure you could find an arts group or reading club easily.

There is an Explore Durham meetup group that is pretty diverse & the events are pretty varied. Might be a good way to get to learn about your new home town.

You might also be interested in the Regulator Bookshop. One of the few indpendent book stores still around.
The Regulator Bookshop | Durham's full service independent bookstore since 1976!

Good luck w/the move & welcome to Durham.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:07 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,152,532 times
I would recommend looking for efficiency apartments in the Ninth Street area. They're often very reasonably priced and you get more for your money than at complexes in the area. If you don't mind living above someone's garage they're worth checking out!

Old 05-09-2012, 08:37 PM

What about Old West Durham? Is that a decent neighborhood?

Old 05-09-2012, 09:00 PM

285 posts, read 492,995 times
Yes, Old West Durham includes the Ninth Street area that some PPs have mentioned. It's a neat area - good walking, lots of restaurants and shops. It's about 10 minutes from DA's campus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary