Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 07:03 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,284,407 times

Advertisements

Hands down one of the best hidden gems in Durham. The Straw Valley Cafe

Check out their photos on facebook. Make sure you read the directions and map out the trip. It is a little hard to find but definitely worth a visit when looking for something unique in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 07:18 AM

520 posts, read 1,016,547 times
Another vote here for MotorCo & Cashba. Don't forget the Pinhook, Fullsteam & Papa Mojo's.

3rd Friday Durham is fun .

If they are foodies, maybe try the Durham Food Tour. Home
A walking tour of the city & some history plus a chance to try several different places in one day.

Check out Duke Univ. too. With summer it may be a bit slower but there is Duke gardens, Nasher Museum & always seems to be concerts, shows and events going on. Duke Events Calendar
UNC in Chapel Hill too - there is the Ackland (sp?) museum, the planetarium has shows daily I believe & again lots of concerts, plays, etc.

ATC Concerts is a great idea. Maybe have supper at one of the restaurants around there too. Tyler's Tap room has 60+ beers on tap. Or you can walk a few blocks to Dos Perros or Revolution (those are two of my favorites).

"Wicked" is at DPAC for May - if they are into shows at all that would be a great chance to show off what a gem we have there.

There are a lot of vineyards in the area (Vineyards at Southpoint, Chatam Hill, Starlight Mead, etc). Maybe pack a picnic lunch & stop by for a tasting, or pick a couple & make a full day of it - NC Wine Country | Explore North Carolina Wine Country Chance to see some of the country & try a few local wines.

Of course you have to get him some local BBQ. We are partial to either Q-Shack or Aviator Smokehouse, but there are plenty of good ones in the area.

If you get a chance stop by the visitor's center downtown too. The staff there is very knowledgeable & friendly. I'm sure they would be able to help you out with ideas, flyers, maps, etc.
And if you have AAA pop into a local branch & get the NC book & any information they have. Should be some good ideas there too (and maybe even some discount tix/admissions ).

Old 05-01-2012, 08:21 AM

533 posts, read 1,198,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Hands down one of the best hidden gems in Durham. The Straw Valley Cafe

Check out their photos on facebook. Make sure you read the directions and map out the trip. It is a little hard to find but definitely worth a visit when looking for something unique in the area.

Yes! Straw Valley Cafe is wonderful. A little oasis in the middle of New Hope Commons. Great suggestion!

Old 05-01-2012, 01:47 PM

1,381 posts, read 2,103,546 times
I'm from England and my brother and 10 year old nephew came to visit us exactly one year ago. They really enjoyed lunch at Tobacco Road in Durham which overlooks Durham Bulls Stadium, walking around Chapel Hill and checking out the campus, Cameron Village in Raleigh, Duke Gardens, a trip to Jordan Lake and a visit to the RBC Center (now the PNC Arena!)...
There's a HUGE British contigency here.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:29 PM

15 posts, read 25,683 times
A definite third vote for Straw Valley...they also have lunch food, wine tasting events, and various evenings with music. There are also other fun coffee places for a bite or some relaxation--Caffe Driade, Fosters (X2), and Guglhupf, and there's always a nice scene ouside at Weaver Street Market. Check out what's going on at the ArtsCenter in Carrboro, Playmakers, Paperhand Puppet Intervention. While in Saxapahaw, see what's going on at the Haw River Ballroom. That can be a fun destination as well. Too bad they just missed Shakori Hills recently...that would be an interesting bit of culture for him, I suspect.

Good luck...hope the introduction to the area (and the family) goes well.

Old 05-02-2012, 04:57 AM

222 posts, read 545,829 times
Thank you for these great ideas! This is exactly what I was looking for. Some of these I have heard of (or even done myself) and needed reminding of, but some of these I've never heard of. As a Brit would say, Brilliant!

Old 05-02-2012, 06:03 AM

814 posts, read 2,007,055 times
The warehouse district in Raleigh for funky, creative with restaurants, or Glenwood South for fun, young, bars and restaurants. First Friday in Raleigh the town is packed....or frankly most weekend nights. Third Friday is Durham's big night, but there always seems to be tons going on, esp around Golden Belt and Motorco/Fullsteam/Geer St. Of course, one of the great things about Durham is the spontaneous, word of mouth events, such as the St. Pats parade, where people seem to just show up and have an event....hard to hear about those...but they can be found.

When are they coming? We could help find some special things.

If you could tell

Old 05-02-2012, 06:39 AM

127 posts, read 356,703 times
Check out Independent Weekly

Old 05-02-2012, 03:15 PM

222 posts, read 545,829 times
They arrive May 19 and leave on the 31st.

Old 05-02-2012, 03:51 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,148,219 times
Don't forget Sunday Brunch at Weaver Street Market:

Weaver Street Market - Carrboro Events

The sculpture trail at the NC Museum of Art is always open too, and there's a whirlygig there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary