Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2012, 06:24 PM

36 posts, read 69,585 times

Advertisements

Ok, so we're relocating from Long Island, NY and are both work-from-home (him:interactive media/advertising; me:healthcare insurance case mgmt). We have finally narrowed our search down to two main areas: Mooresville (where we feel confident in the schools and have friends) vs the outskirts of Raleigh (we like being closer to the beach). Like everyone else, we want good schools, safe, affordable neighborhoods at a good cost of living where ppl are open to newcomers.
That said, we don't know enough about the Raleigh area but have been told Wake Forest is nice, Cary is probably out of our price range ($150-$200ish), South Raleigh "should be avoided". We're afraid of loving an area for the schools, only to have it redistricted once we get there and I want to avoid moving my kids twice ( 5 and 8 years old).
What can you tell me about the area? (I don't want townhomes or condos).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 06:39 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Hi there, we relocated from LI too, 2 years ago. You can get into Cary and Apex for your price range, believe it or not. It really depends on what kind of house you want though.

Schools - well, there's just way too much to write about the schools. I highly suggest you use the search function and put in "wake county schools" or "wcpss". We are well past the problem of "re-districting" and onto new ones, LOL.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:31 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,034,535 times
did you mean mooresville or morrisville? both are town in nc, so I was not sure. And, you will have to search but you can find some homes in that price range in cary and in wake forest, but it all depends on what you want.

I would spend some time reading the wcpss website. There is so much information out there about the school system, and in a nutshell, schools now are under a "choice plan". You put in your address, and you are given a list of school that are under your choice, you then apply and rate your choice 1-5 and you are placed in a school.

That being said, you need to do the research for yourself and determine what will work for your family.

I have two daughters in wcpss, and I have been very happy at our current school, north forest pines drive elementary.

Leigh

Old 05-01-2012, 08:12 PM

36 posts, read 69,585 times
We're considering Mooresville (25 miles north of Charlotte). Thanks fo both of you for the input on schools. That's the most daunting task.
Where we are, there's a beach very close by and the whole town goes there. You can go alone w/ your kids any day in summer and are guaranteed to meet up w/ a playmate for your kids by chance. Is there a lake like that in the Triangle vicinity?

Old 05-02-2012, 07:03 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Many subdivisions have pools and that's where people hang out in the summertime and kids meet up with their "guaranteed playmate".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary