U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2012, 07:37 AM

4,598 posts, read 9,781,012 times

Advertisements

I noticed yesterday that somebody has been letting their dog mark on my mailbox which is destroying the plants I have surrounding it. My first question is does anyone have recommendations for products I can spray to deter this from happening? Secondly, if I find out who is doing this and they refuse to amend their actions, do I have any sort of legal recourse? Would this fall under any sort of local statute or am I sol?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 07:46 AM

9,196 posts, read 23,948,316 times
Just guessing, but it's likely that your mailbox and landscaping around it aren't actually sitting on your property. Mailboxes are typically in the public right of way, with suburban property boundaries starting several feet in from the curb/road edge. Don't know if that would affect any legal claim you might try to assert.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:48 AM

My mailbox does sit in my property thankfully, at least according to the survey we had done last fall.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:51 AM

932 posts, read 2,989,893 times
I'm not sure about legalities but my neighbor has a cute "Please curb your dog." sign that works. People tend to respect it. I think if you ask, most people would respect your wishes. Curb Your Dog Lawn Marker - Plow & Hearth

Old 05-02-2012, 08:22 AM

12,475 posts, read 30,919,559 times
I have the same problem! I kept replacing shrubs along the front of my yard, couldn't figure out why they kept dying until I noticed a neighbor and his dog!

Funny how people WILL pick up after their dog poops but dont' think anything of allowing their dog to pee on someone else's shrubs!

My neighbor was angry that her white mailbox post doesn't stay white! Yuck!

I did find something at home depot that keeps dogs away but can't remember the name.

Vicki

Old 05-02-2012, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
I did find something at home depot that keeps dogs away but can't remember the name.

Vicki
Do you happen to still have the bottle laying around you garage still? Maybe I'll swing by Home Depot on my way home from work and see what they have. I didn't buy roses bushes just to have them die

Old 05-02-2012, 08:36 AM

12,475 posts, read 30,919,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
Do you happen to still have the bottle laying around you garage still? Maybe I'll swing by Home Depot on my way home from work and see what they have. I didn't buy roses bushes just to have them die
This was probably two years ago so I don't have the bottle. I remember WHERE in Home Depot it was!!!

If you go to the one on Strickland Road, it is the wall that borders the garden center.

They had all sorts of pellet stuff to keep things away. We got the one that was safe for pets and children but it had something in it that animals didn't like the smell so it kept them away.

I got so mad, before I found the stuff, that I was going to sit and wait to see who walked their dog on my yard but according to hubby, those dog walkers are up at the crack of dawn and I am NOT a morning person!!!

It is frustrating to pay for stuff and have someone else ruin it.

Vicki

Old 05-02-2012, 08:39 AM

1,277 posts, read 3,405,841 times
That is too gross. Love the idea of "curb your dog" lawn marker...but re-establishing healthy dirt will take more than that.

nitrates and urea are the problem. nitrates need to be broken down in order to be useful and it is probably beyond that point right now. urea ends up a salt. there are some web suggestions on 'dog pee' tolerant plants - things that can tolerate high nitrogen and salts.

I think the only thing you could do at this point is yank the plants and mulch it. alternatively, if you can try to get the owner/dog to stop using your mailbox as a facility, you could then dig all the dirt out so you can start over with fresh dirt that doesn't have the nitrate and urea build up in it replant.

Do you live in an HOA? you might need permission to fence off the area to get the plants started without incursion again.

I thought you would enjoy this nytimes blog on the problem in city parks

Complaint Box: Dog Urine - NYTimes.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary