U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2012, 09:24 PM

326 posts, read 645,106 times

Advertisements

Do affordable private schools exist in or around Clayton? I've stumbled upon several private schools but they seem very large and expensive. I'm aware private education can be pricey but I just thought I'd ask...maybe there's a diamond in the rough out there???

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 05:23 AM

128 posts, read 201,628 times
From reading your other posts I thought one of the reasons you were focusing on Clayton was for the good, traditional public schools. As I am also interested in the area, I was wondering if there was something you have come across that gives you pause about the public schools in Clayton.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:05 AM

326 posts, read 645,106 times
Well we were drawn more to the affordability of the area and what you can "get for your money." The schools are making me a little nervous ONLY because when I went onto the websites for the schools and looked at what the current second graders are doing under "Homework"- it's what my son did in 1st grade. Granted, he's currently in a smaller private school that IS moving at an aggressive pace. But, I've tried to really convince myself that maybe it's just different, not necessarily a "bad" sign. However I just want to explore all the options. It did concern me to see that the kids in 2nd grade, at the end of the school year when things SHOULD be challenging, are doing what my son's school did as review of 1st grade.

Before I get any hate posts about thinking I'm better or this or that...it's not that one is better than the other- just a different approach. Plus, I do like the my son is in an atmosphere where prayer is important. So that's also a factor. The only difficult part has been finding a school in the area in NC that is affordable. The schools that have been recommended to me are upwards of 10gs+ a year! I realize we're spoiled where we are school-wise with a small, family friendly, wonderful school...it's just the area that we don't love. Guess we can't have it all though!

Old 05-10-2012, 09:24 AM

128 posts, read 201,628 times
Rapp5 thanks so much for the insight! Your posts have also given me a lot of information about the area! As I have 4 children, schools are also very important to me and my older boys are entering high school. I am not that thrilled with the high school in Long Island where we live either, and even though I myself went to private religious schools, I like community public schools and one of the reasons why I have decided to focus on other counties, in particular Johnston, instead of Wake. I hope to make a trip down end of May or beginning of June and am excited to see all I have been researching and reading about. I am looking for a good amount of land (with 4 boys its a must!) in a great family friendly neighborhood thats not too rural. I like areas of upstate NY have visited and am definitely looking forward to a community which have never had here in NY.

Old 05-10-2012, 02:56 PM

1,239 posts, read 2,071,452 times
I am heavily involved in the Clayton High School Alumni Association. Founded in 2004 to raise scholarship funds for our senior class. I can assure you that our high school seniors that apply themselves in high school are being accepted in some of the finest Universities in the US. And there are other high schools in Johnston County that have highly qualified graduates each year. The public school system in and around Clayton is a good as I have ever seen and I have lived in 10 states in my 74 years. If you come here believing that our school system is not up to your standards then that is what you will probably experience. I grew up in Clayton and only moved out of the area after finishing college.
If you are hell bent on your kids attending private school in Johnston County there is only one available other than very small private schools. Neuse Charter School is in Smithfield. In my opinion there is a reason for Neuse Charter School being in Smithfield and that is the fact that Smithfield-Selma High School is not as strong academically as other Johnston County High Schools. Neuse Charter School - Home I understand there is a waiting list to enroll at Neuse Charter School. Other than this private school you will have to take your kids to a private school in Wake County. And if you are going to do that buy a house in Wake County. If all you and your children do is sleep in Clayton then this will be a miserable experience for you. Best wishes to you as you search for that special location for you and your family.

Old 05-10-2012, 03:25 PM

9,197 posts, read 23,624,073 times
Isn't public school curriculum the same state-wide in NC, regardless of which county?

Old 05-10-2012, 05:46 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,283,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Isn't public school curriculum the same state-wide in NC, regardless of which county?
There is a state wide set of standards and pacing guides, but we currently do not have one set of curriculum that the state requires. But some districts use the state pacing guide and standards as a jumping off point. I've heard Chapel Hill/ Carborro schools go above and beyond the state-wide standards. It also can vary within a district. For instance in Durham the AIG kids go above and beyond state requirements. But in Durham pretty much no one else does.

In regards to curriculum, NC like many states is in the process of switching to common core curriculum which is suppose to align standards amongst all 50 states. But I'm skeptical about how one set of curriculum have serve the highest performing and lowest performing districts in this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary