Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 12:56 AM

6 posts, read 20,868 times

Advertisements

Help! I found a house in Apex but was told there will be freight trains running twice a day behind the house. The distance between the house and the rail is 200 feet apart.

Do you think when the freight trains come by, it will be very loud? Any idea how loud it is? Anyone have similar experience about living next to the rail road? Please share your thoughts. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2012, 04:38 AM

699 posts, read 1,706,578 times
Depends on how much you enjoy the rattle and rumble of trains twice a day and whether you have children.

We have a cabin in Alaska about three hundred yards from the railroad. When I was footloose and fancy free, I loved the rumble of the trains going by. Loved the sound of the train whistle off in the distance. Once we had kids, not so much. For some reason, railroad tracks are so enticing to kids. The love to search for unique rocks in the gravel bed. Love to put their ear on the track and listen for trains. Love to do whatever it is that Mama does not want them to do.

Every time I heard that rumble, I had to quickly count heads. Once, our two year old sat on the tracks and stubbornly refused to move. I had to run through knee deep crusted snow to grab her. I got her off in time to see the stunned look on the engineer's face. Later, we found out that they look for movement ahead. Since she was sitting still, he didn't see her. But, in any case, the train could never have stopped in time.

Also, what is two trains a day might be a dozen in the future. Read that Warren Buffet bought up railroad stock a year or so ago as he believes moving goods by train will go way up as the economy recovers. The guy has a good track record in investing, or so I understand.

Resale value is another factor.

Old 05-06-2012, 04:47 AM

4,264 posts, read 4,715,503 times
If the property is near the rail line from Apex to Durham -- the one that runs roughly parallel to NC 55 -- there is very little chance that train frequency will increase. Existing freight trains on this line are short and run at slow speed.

If the property is near the rail line that runs Raleigh-Cary-Apex-Sanford, there are two Amtrak (passenger) trains in addition to longer and somewhat faster freight trains. It's more likely that train frequency on this line will increase, but I doubt it will happen in the next 10 years.

Old 05-06-2012, 05:01 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,771,581 times
When I was younger I once lived on the final approach flight path to a major Navy air station. Very loud but fantastic sights. After awhile you just got use to it. Occasionally a C5A would come in and that WOULD get your attention (different sound than other aircraft). Never once bothered me back then. I returned recently and visited a friend who still lives in the area. We walked out back and all of a sudden I found myself wanted to hit the ground as a fighter jet approached tree top level. I guess bottom line is you will get use to the trains but visiting guests will either find it fascinating or aggravating. I don't think it would be too bad as long as you are not in the area where they blow their warning horns every time they pass.

Old 05-06-2012, 05:03 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
My aunt lived next to an elevated subway line in NYC for 30 years.

The trains screeched around curves.

When I'd stay over, the trains were not an issue after the first night. One night, the line was shut for repairs and I couldn't sleep.

Old 05-06-2012, 05:04 AM

234 posts, read 822,903 times
The way i look at it is, if you have to ask it is already not OK in your mind. That is pretty close, I would just keep on looking for a better location to buy a house.

John

Old 05-06-2012, 05:20 AM

1,155 posts, read 2,237,589 times
If you think it may be an issue, then when you would attempt to sell this home potential buyers will also see this as an issue. I lived near train tracks before and would never do it again. It's not just the noise, freight trains actually cause your home to shake. It's gets old quick!

Old 05-06-2012, 05:53 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,603,867 times
It depends on if they blow their horn. I live in Wilmington (for now) but am two blocks away from the train tracks and the trains blow their horn in the middle of the night - it's incredibly loud - I cannot imagine living right next to the tracks. Interestingly, we also get fighter jets above - it's living surround sound !

Old 05-06-2012, 06:10 AM

932 posts, read 3,097,981 times
We lived in a house with train tracks in the back yard and a block over in front of our house; near downtown Cary. They didn't blow the horn and we basically never noticed them. The only concern I have is resell potential.

Old 05-06-2012, 06:20 AM

43,297 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Resale value is less of an issue if the trains are priced in when the OP buys.
Can the OP get similar new construction and amenities in a great Apex location at the same price? If yes, then Village of Apex becomes less compelling.

Trying to resell in a subdivision that is not nearly completed, and trying to compete with the builders to resell a house is much more of a concern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary