Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 07:50 AM

448 posts, read 852,407 times

Advertisements

I lived in Queens and right behind me was a freight train. Strange, some times it seemed that it was coming right through the house, times I never heard it and would sleep right through it.

We stayed in the Wyndham Hotel in Raleigh that was located right behind the freight train. We stayed there twice, once we heard the train and the other time we did not. We were on opposite sides of the hotel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2012, 08:18 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,268,491 times
Anytime, YOU have an issue with it, another buyer will have the same issue. Re sale is going to be an issue. If you get a GREAT DEAL on the home, when it is time to sell, you will need to pass along some savings to the next buyer.

Vicki

Old 05-06-2012, 09:30 AM

757 posts, read 2,085,195 times
Don't do it. In Apex there will not be only 2 trains coming by a day. Think more like 4 and hour sometimes. On average maybe 2 and hour...but always one an hour. Used to live there and would count them. We too were really close to the tracts and I was shocked at how active the train tracts were in Apex. Some were freight and some were not...but both were too loud for my tastes. Anytime you watch a movie in your home...you will have to pause it every time one comes by. I also wonder about noise levels...because when you were outside and the train comes by it was so loud I swore I was going to have hearing damage. It does not stop in daylight hours. We had at least 2 come by in the middle of the night. Apex has a lot of crossings that do not appear to be crossings. They have to start blowing the horn like a 1/2 a mile away...so the horn will be blowing the entire trek through Apex. I think it would be fine if you lived a mile or more away from the Apex tracts...maybe even a 1/2 a mile...but no closer!

Old 05-06-2012, 11:27 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,630,293 times
I LOVE trains. I go to train museums, I set up model railroads, I even get excited to get stopped at a train crossing. All that said, I would want nothing to do with living that close to the tracks.

I work with a guy who lived in an old single wide mobile home right next to a commuter rail line. he says living by the train is no big deal, and after a little while you don't notice them anymore. Personally I wouldn't want to test his theory.

Old 05-06-2012, 11:57 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,268,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson185 View Post
Don't do it. In Apex there will not be only 2 trains coming by a day. Think more like 4 and hour sometimes. On average maybe 2 and hour...but always one an hour. Used to live there and would count them. We too were really close to the tracts and I was shocked at how active the train tracts were in Apex. Some were freight and some were not...but both were too loud for my tastes. Anytime you watch a movie in your home...you will have to pause it every time one comes by. I also wonder about noise levels...because when you were outside and the train comes by it was so loud I swore I was going to have hearing damage. It does not stop in daylight hours. We had at least 2 come by in the middle of the night. Apex has a lot of crossings that do not appear to be crossings. They have to start blowing the horn like a 1/2 a mile away...so the horn will be blowing the entire trek through Apex. I think it would be fine if you lived a mile or more away from the Apex tracts...maybe even a 1/2 a mile...but no closer!
I was hoping you'd give your experience!

I love hearing the train whistle IN THE DISTANCE!

As for getting used to noise, it is subjective; however, I live on a corner and I easily get used to traffic noise because it is somewhat constant. A train that blows it's horn would be more of a startle TO ME.

Again, re sale will be an issue and if you know that, and still want to proceed, that is fine. You will have made an educated choice.

Vicki

Old 05-06-2012, 03:06 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,182,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny536 View Post
I LOVE trains. I go to train museums, I set up model railroads, I even get excited to get stopped at a train crossing. All that said, I would want nothing to do with living that close to the tracks.

I work with a guy who lived in an old single wide mobile home right next to a commuter rail line. he says living by the train is no big deal, and after a little while you don't notice them anymore. Personally I wouldn't want to test his theory.
As I mentioned before, that is true. My aunt's apartment had an elevated subway train pass 10 feet from the window about every 15 minutes 24/7/365.

I love trains too.

Old 05-06-2012, 05:07 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,241,714 times
Resale will be a problem for many prospective buyers.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:57 PM

9,781 posts, read 15,808,823 times
In college I lived very close to railroad tracks. The first night I slept there I woke up suddenly startled by a noise that sounded like a...a...a...freight train. It was SOOO loud! After a few nights I got used to it. But everytime someone new came over, he would be incredibly startled by it. And if it happens when you are on the phone forget having a conversation. Sometimes the trains seemed to go on for.ev.er.

Personally, I would NEVER buy that close to the tracks. I agree with Vicki that the sound of a train in the distance is nice. But right under your window? Not so much fun. I too love trains. :-)

Old 05-07-2012, 06:44 AM

1,485 posts, read 4,158,691 times
Default thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCKMA View Post
Help! I found a house in Apex but was told there will be freight trains running twice a day behind the house. The distance between the house and the rail is 200 feet apart.

Do you think when the freight trains come by, it will be very loud? Any idea how loud it is? Anyone have similar experience about living next to the rail road? Please share your thoughts. Thanks!
Lets put it this way, if looking for a house and I saw tracks that close...
I would never buy, and I wouldnt care how many times a train through.

Old 05-07-2012, 07:06 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,191,647 times
I agree with ducter. Just seeing the tracks were active would be enough to eliminate that house as an option. I don't want to live next to the tracks for many reasons. Not only noise, but what if the thing derails? Unlikely, but not a chance I want to take. Isn't that the line they use to bring things down to the Harris plant? Also, with kids there is no.way.on.Earth I would buy that close to tracks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary