Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 07:30 AM

520 posts, read 1,016,622 times

Advertisements

Batltimore, MD
Lynchburg, VA
Beckly, WV
Virginia Beach area

Really, how we do it is pull out a map of the southeast, draw a big circle that is approx. how far we would be willing to drive (or take the train) and then start looking what falls in the circle. Something eventually jumps out as a front runner for some reason. We've selected places based on how close (or not) it was to family, attractions in the area, or the fact the town just had a really cool name.

From there hit up your AAA office and get a few local maps & a tour book to help you plan out your trip. Sometimes they can even get you discount tix to things or a deal on your hotel. If you don't have AAA you could check out the Fodors (or other travel guides) from the library. I like AAA because the book is then mine & I can write it it. The library gets upset if write in their books.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 09:39 AM

1,155 posts, read 2,237,303 times
Charleston, SC is great. Restaurants, shopping, history.....

Old 05-09-2012, 03:13 PM

39 posts, read 86,045 times
Thanks for all the great suggestions everybody!

And I know this isn't helpful in narrowing it down to anyplace specific - but I really am up for anything! I'm not looking to do one specific thing when I go somewhere. I just want to get on the road, drive, and see what the world has in store for me! Doesn't matter if it's a big city, small town, beach, mountains, or history / no history. I like seeing where you all like to go because it may open me up to somewhere I would have never thought of before.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:31 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,899,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCbornandraised View Post
Single, no kids, with friends!

D.C., Party in Adams Morgan
Adams Morgan, Washington - Bing Attractions

Adams Morgan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-10-2012, 11:29 AM

39 posts, read 95,119 times
This is something I've been wanting to do for the last few years...I am not a huge bike rider, but, it stills looks like lots of fun and manageable:

The Virginia Creeper Trail

Virginia Creeper Trail Club | Official Site of the Virginia Creeper Trail Club

Old 05-10-2012, 11:50 AM

932 posts, read 3,097,752 times
Washington, DC
Atlanta
Savannah
Charleston
Outer Banks
You could visit all of the NC lighthouses.
Monticello
Driving just a couple hours east and having a picnic on the beach is one of the best things in the world.
The NC mountains are great in the summer
Busch Gardens in Williamsburg...You can't beat a good roller coaster.

Old 05-10-2012, 12:13 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymi View Post
This is something I've been wanting to do for the last few years...I am not a huge bike rider, but, it stills looks like lots of fun and manageable: The Virginia Creeper Trail
That is definitely on my list! We had plans to go last fall but had to cancel when scheduling conflicts developed. There are some lovely B&B's nearby in Abingdon, and a fantastic playhouse theater. It would make a wonderful weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary