Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 12:13 PM

14 posts, read 38,592 times

Advertisements

I am planning to switch from glasses to contact lenses. It seems there is a fitting fee charged by Optometrist. I checked with Samsclub Optometrist and they charge $70.

I checked with Eye care associates and they charge $89.

My vision insurance pays $125 for both fitting and contact lenses, so if i pay $70 for fitting then only $55 left to buy contact lenses.

Does anyone know any other place where they don't charge this fee or it is less then $70.

Please suggest .Thanks in advance for help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 02:47 PM

119 posts, read 394,167 times
In my past experience, they usually do an eye exam and a fitting together which is why it costs so much but if you had a recent eye exam maybe you could check with that provider? Or if your insurance covers an actual eye exam and you add on the fitting it will be less? When I went it was about $120 for the eye exam and fitting. And they generally require yearly eye exams for contacts instead of every 2 years for glasses btw.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:25 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,106,298 times
It's a state law to require a fitting for contact lenses, every place charges a fee for it. $70.00 is pretty good. Have you called Walmart?

Old 05-09-2012, 07:19 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,307,927 times
Why should a doctor perform his or her services for free?

Old 05-09-2012, 08:27 PM

826 posts, read 1,932,754 times
A fitting exam for contact lenses is very important. It is more than just a regular eye exam, which is a vision check and making sure the eyes are healthy. Prescribing contact lenses involves checking the prescription, modifying it for contact lenses (they are rarely the same), taking measurements of your cornea so the contacts fit properly, trying you in different types of contact lenses to see what fits/how it moves/what feels comfortable. Contact lenses that do not fit properly will not only affect your vision but can lead to eye problems and/or infections. People who have bought contacts in dollar stores to change the color of their eyes have gotten bad eye infections from improperly fitted contacts!

Anyway, this is all leading up to getting the contacts. The fitting fee also includes a follow-up exam to make sure the contacts you purchased fit your eyes well. Sometimes this is simple, sometimes it is not. You don't have to pay the fee every year if your prescription is pretty stable (a prescription will be written for you for refills) but yes, it is recommended to have an exam yearly. You have something in your eye so docs need to check and make sure your eye is tolerating it well.

Consider asking whether you need to order the contacts through the provider or if you can order online elsewhere and come back in to see if it fits. Although, I suspect prices at Sams Club or Costco are pretty comparable to something like 1800contacts.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:44 PM

809 posts, read 2,188,075 times
I use Vision Park Optometry in Raleigh. They may be a bit more expensive (not sure that they are) but they are thorough and I mean very thorough. I've used them for years and years..at least 13 years.

When it comes to my eyes, even though I have to pay out of pocket, I KNOW they will and have always given me the very best care.

They used to be on Capital but are now off of Strickland Rd, right before Creedmore Rd. I travel there from Wake Forest because I trust them completely. I always have been with "Dr. K.". Can't say or spell his full name.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:54 AM

278 posts, read 467,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mskb View Post
Anyway, this is all leading up to getting the contacts. The fitting fee also includes a follow-up exam to make sure the contacts you purchased fit your eyes well. Sometimes this is simple, sometimes it is not. You don't have to pay the fee every year if your prescription is pretty stable (a prescription will be written for you for refills) but yes, it is recommended to have an exam yearly. You have something in your eye so docs need to check and make sure your eye is tolerating it well.
I know that Eye Care Associates won't write a contact lens prescription unless you pay the fee each year, so you have to pay $90 in order to get the exact same lenses with the same fit. If you are an adult, after you are fitted the first time, your fit won't change, but they go ahead and rip you for the extra $90 on top of your normal eye exam costs. Basically the procedure is they give you a sample pair of lenses that are the same as the ones you had before, ask you to try them on, you wait, and they ask you how they feel. If you want, you can tell them you feel bad, since you just paid $90 for nothing.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:21 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,163,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
It's a state law to require a fitting for contact lenses, every place charges a fee for it. $70.00 is pretty good. Have you called Walmart?
They tend to be the absolute worst in service. I'd pass on Walmart.

Old 05-31-2013, 08:55 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtta View Post
I know that Eye Care Associates won't write a contact lens prescription unless you pay the fee each year, so you have to pay $90 in order to get the exact same lenses with the same fit. If you are an adult, after you are fitted the first time, your fit won't change, but they go ahead and rip you for the extra $90 on top of your normal eye exam costs. Basically the procedure is they give you a sample pair of lenses that are the same as the ones you had before, ask you to try them on, you wait, and they ask you how they feel. If you want, you can tell them you feel bad, since you just paid $90 for nothing.
Since they're getting paid to do nothing, tell'em they feel weird and go through a few pairs before going back to the ones you had. Then pronounce them the best fit and be on your way.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:40 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
From my post on 09/12/12:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
How IRONIC. I just called these places about this earlier today. All prices include one sample trial set of lenses.

Costco Raleigh - $75 for the visual acuity exam, $35-$75 for the contact lens fitting. Note they are only there on Thursday, Friday and Saturday

BJ's - no ooptician on site to do exams. They sell contact lenses. Suggested Walmart.

Walmart Brier Creek - $151-$178 for both exams.

Triangle Eye Institute (several locations) - $125 for visual acuity exam, $100-$140 for contact lens fitting.

Costco Durham - $100 for both exams. The are closed Sunday and Thursday. For your convenience, the number is 919-220-2741
I ended up going to the optometrist at Durham Costco. Here's my post from 10/12/12, after I saw her:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
An update to this thread: I had my appointment with Dr. Catherine Mauro, OD at Costco Durham. For a variety of reasons, I've had to deal with too many ophthalmologists and optometrists over the years, and with great assurance I can say this one is very, very good.

The result: She's got me in contact lenses that actually work and are comfortable. All prior attempts at this were total failures. She is patient, can get a little creative and think outside the box when necessary.

I'm truly impressed.
Nine months later, I'm still VERY impressed. Wouldn't think of going anywhere else for contact lens perscriptions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary