Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 09:14 AM

3 posts, read 8,443 times

Advertisements

Any suggestions for neighborhoods in Raleigh / N. Raleigh that are in walking distance (5-10min) to coffee shop, grocery, pharmacy, etc? Something similar to Stonehenge off Creedmoor, or maybe others that are in the planning stage. Some place with a real "neighborhood" feel to it.

Looking for a home 1800-2000 sqft., about $400K.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2007, 10:25 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,060,320 times
Falls River should fit your bill, and you can find 2500 sqft homes less than 10 years old for under $400k. Bedford is a bit farther back and not really walkable to anything, however there is hope that a "town center" will be added soon in the center of that development which I'd imagine will have at least some of what you're looking for. Wakefield would be another community to take a look at. Its not nearly as pedestrian-friendly as FR, but it does have lots of shops & restaurants close by.

Old 09-19-2007, 10:35 AM

3,367 posts, read 7,712,941 times
We looked at Falls River back in 1999/2000. At the time, they were promising a town center there with shops, coffee, etc. Doesn't look like it ever happened. There appears to only be the shopping center at Durant Rd at the entrance to the development. That can be quite far (walking) from the bulk of the homes.

Old 09-19-2007, 10:40 AM

2,834 posts, read 11,984,569 times
Wakefield definitely has that opportunity, but there is also a lot of traffic during the day, even though there are sidewalks! I would also say, although it may be older homes, is the north hills area.

Leigh

Old 09-19-2007, 10:44 AM

693 posts, read 2,752,207 times
You'll need to look ITB (Inside The Beltline), close to Cameron VIllage. Wonderful place with lots of stores and coffee shops in walking distance. At this price range, you'd need to settle for a condo or a town home.

Old 09-19-2007, 11:23 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,310,490 times
The southern end of Wakefield Plantation is well within walking distance to small shops, restaurants, large food store, little coffee shops, banking, schools K-12, YMCA, and child care. Sure saves the gas plus you get to exercises and walk on sidewalks. Lot of communities here in northern wake county area do not have sidewalks. Wakefield and Bedford do as I'm sure there are many others within the Raleigh area that do.

Old 09-19-2007, 11:27 AM

693 posts, read 2,752,207 times
Yes many neighborhoods have sidewalks but they don't lead to anywhere commercial but rather to your neighbor's house and your neighbor's neighbor's house! (Bedford is a good example..)

Old 09-19-2007, 11:33 AM

There are some sections of Graystone and Crosswinds that are within walking distance to these amenities as well. These neighborhoods are just across Creedmoor from Stonehenge and are similar in age. I grew up in Stonehenge and remember well walking to work at the grocery store and for shopping at the SC, as well as walking to church and the pool. The downside, though, was that I was bussed all the way to downtown for school, so I was unable to walk or bike to school. That issue is something you should give some consideration to if you are looking seriously at any part of N. Raleigh.

Old 09-19-2007, 12:10 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,088,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
There are some sections of Graystone and Crosswinds that are within walking distance to these amenities as well. These neighborhoods are just across Creedmoor from Stonehenge and are similar in age. I grew up in Stonehenge and remember well walking to work at the grocery store and for shopping at the SC, as well as walking to church and the pool. The downside, though, was that I was bussed all the way to downtown for school, so I was unable to walk or bike to school. That issue is something you should give some consideration to if you are looking seriously at any part of N. Raleigh.

I live in the area now. My last child goes to school, about 4 miles from the house. My other 3 (all graduated now) went to the same schools, as the last child. So I'm not sure why you would have been bused downtown, unless you opted for magnet school?

Vicki

Old 09-19-2007, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
I live in the area now. My last child goes to school, about 4 miles from the house. My other 3 (all graduated now) went to the same schools, as the last child. So I'm not sure why you would have been bused downtown, unless you opted for magnet school?

Vicki
I was zoned for Daniels Middle & Broughton High while living in Stonehenge...graduated in 1993. This predated Leesville, however there were a few closer middle and high schools at the time. My experience at BHS was awesome and I am glad it worked out as it did, despite the long bus rides and awful drives in with traffic on Glenwood. That area was later rezoned to Leesville High, and is now zoned for Sanderson. Vicki, I know you are a strong defender of everything Wake County, but I think you should take another look at it through the eyes of someone who is not a Realtor with a vested interest in the continued growth and prosperity in the county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary