Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 08:43 AM

17 posts, read 41,829 times

Advertisements

A friend of my family owned 86 acres off of falls of the neuse in north raleigh. He had it for sale but he was not going to sell it until he got what he felt was worth for him to leave is family's farm. No one had offered him enough for him to do this. Wake County comes along and condemns his house and takes his land and tells hims he is impeding progress in wake county. They give him money that is nothing compared to what he could have got. If this is not theft i do not know what is. I am fed up with wake county. I have live in north raleigh/wake forests all my life and tired off it. Enough is enough we need to stop growing look at falls lake it can't take any more. wake county is not the place i want to live anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2007, 08:54 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,771,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncnative8 View Post
A friend of my family owned 86 acres off of falls of the neuse in north raleigh. He had it for sale[,] but he was not going to sell it until he got what he felt [it] was worth for him to leave is family's farm. No one had offered him enough for him to do this. Wake County comes along and condemns his house and takes his land and tells hims he is impeding progress in wake county. They give him money that is nothing compared to what he could have got[ten]. If this is not theft[,] i do not know what is. I am fed up with wake county. I have live in north raleigh/wake forests all my life and [am] tired off it. Enough is enough[,] we need to stop growing[.] look at falls lake[.] it can't take any more. wake county is not the place i want to live anymore.
Eminent Domain is a controversial subject, for sure. But the Government has to pay a fair price for the land. Sounds like there was a big disconnect between what this guy thought the land was worth and what the market says it is worth. He could always lawyer up and try to fight it.

Old 09-19-2007, 09:00 AM

they did not give him fair price. I not going to get into numbers but it is about half of what he was offered a year before. They gave him a month to get out or they are going start bulldozing even if his stuff is still in their. Also how to you condemn a house that is old but you easily tell someone has kept up with it and kept it in good shape. I seen many more house in far worse shape than his house on less valuble land and was not codemned

Old 09-19-2007, 09:00 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,284,407 times
Quote:
A friend of my family owned 86 acres off of falls of the neuse in north raleigh. He had it for sale but he was not going to sell it until he got what he felt was worth for him to leave is family's farm. No one had offered him enough for him to do this. Wake County comes along and condemns his house and takes his land and tells hims he is impeding progress in wake county. They give him money that is nothing compared to what he could have got. If this is not theft i do not know what is. I am fed up with wake county. I have live in north raleigh/wake forests all my life and tired off it. Enough is enough we need to stop growing look at falls lake it can't take any more. wake county is not the place i want to live anymore.

No offense, but I can only agree with part of your post. I hate the idea of counties and Cities exercising Eminent Domain on privately owned land. Is this related to the proposed Falls of Neuse Bridge? I have seen a sign for a huge chunk of land for sale up that way for the past year or so.

The thing I disagree with in your post is your seemingly "have your cake and eat it too" stance on growth. On the one hand you want your friend to get top dollar for his land by exercising his right to sell it to somebody who in all likelihood would develop those 86 acres into a huge housing development. On the other hand you say "Enough is enough we need to stop growing look at falls lake it can't take any more". So which is it? Would you be for growth as long as it meant your friend got a lot of money for his land? That is what your post sounds like it is saying. You either want that land to be undeveloped or you don't. You can't have it both ways.

Old 09-19-2007, 09:05 AM

1,484 posts, read 4,155,832 times
Default no rights

As you can see our rights are slowly being taken away. If you can get your land and house taken from you, is your family next.

All in all this isnt right. You can try to fight it with a GOOD (not cheap) lawyer. Maybe try getting coverage in the N &O since that always helps. Fair price is never paid when land is taken under eminent domain. THats why it is taken and not sold...

Old 09-19-2007, 09:18 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,103,025 times
If this is the same 86 acres that has been for sale for the past 5 years just south of the Neuse River, I'm not sure I fully agree with your position, ncnative8. The plans for that bridge have been public knowledge for a long time. Has your friend had this property listed for sale for so long that it predates plans for the new bridge? If not, I think he was trying to pass along his eminent domain problems to an uneducated buyer or was asking far more than the property was really worth in light of the new road and bridge plans. Eminent domain is a tough situation and results in some unfortunte displacements, however it is necessary at times. My wife's grandparents were forced off their family farm some years ago due to eminent domain, so I know of what I speak and am certainly empathetic to the situation. However, to echo N_R_G, that property wouldn't have been worth so much if it weren't for the growth in the surrounding areas.

Old 09-19-2007, 09:59 AM

They took it to build the new falls of the neuse road on the back part of his property and they are going to build a park on the rest. His land has been for sale since they started wakefield. Our rights are slowly being taken one at a time

Old 09-19-2007, 10:04 AM

1,484 posts, read 4,155,832 times
Default yep

Quote:
They took it to build the new falls of the neuse road on the back part of his property and they are going to build a park on the rest. His land has been for sale since they started wakefield. Our rights are slowly being taken one at a time
if they needed a park they could have made it a requirement in a new development like wakefield since people cant come here without living somwhere. Instead they just take the land from an owner....

Old 09-19-2007, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
No offense, but I can only agree with part of your post. I hate the idea of counties and Cities exercising Eminent Domain on privately owned land. Is this related to the proposed Falls of Neuse Bridge? I have seen a sign for a huge chunk of land for sale up that way for the past year or so.

The thing I disagree with in your post is your seemingly "have your cake and eat it too" stance on growth. On the one hand you want your friend to get top dollar for his land by exercising his right to sell it to somebody who in all likelihood would develop those 86 acres into a huge housing development. On the other hand you say "Enough is enough we need to stop growing look at falls lake it can't take any more". So which is it? Would you be for growth as long as it meant your friend got a lot of money for his land? That is what your post sounds like it is saying. You either want that land to be undeveloped or you don't. You can't have it both ways.
But don't you think the government should give fair market price if they are going to take it from him

Old 09-19-2007, 10:22 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,284,407 times
Quote:
But don't you think the government should give fair market price if they are going to take it from him
Yes I agree with you there. I think the whold Falls of Neuse Expansion is going to be quite problematic. There are several older homes that reside right along the current road that are up for sale. It seems obvious the current owners are trying to get out before the road gets widened in a few years. I do not know what Eminent Domain issues they will face. It seems to me that there are several newer homes as well that are located in the front of some of the newer developments along Falls of Neuse that will find themselves considerably closer to the roadway once it is expanded. That probably wouln't make the owners very happy. Of course this is still prbably 5 years away at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary