Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2012, 09:35 AM

15 posts, read 29,383 times

Advertisements

I'm making a move to NC, SC or TN, with NC and Carolina Preserve at the top of my list. I intend to move this summer. My hope is to begin a new life with lots of people my age and an Active Adult community seems like the best possibility. I'm in my early 60's. I visited Carolina Preserve recently and liked so much of what I saw in the community and surrounding area. However, all I saw were people considerably older than myself. I've been told that the Baby Boomers are still working and that's why I haven't seen them. I'm not convinced. The Realtor and Sales Rep can't address the age issue, but I really need to know -- are there many people between 55 and 65 -- or few? Can anyone familiar with Carolina Preserve help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 09:41 AM

460 posts, read 1,017,356 times
I know my parents are looking within the next couple of years. I actually recently put a post up about retirement locations. They are pretty active also.. but my Dad just paid for my wedding, and is paying for my sisters this summer, and wants a few more years under his belt for support. I have a feeling the next 5 years you will really start seeing the baby boomers finding their spots.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:02 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
My parents live there and they are in their late 70s. They do have people in their neighborhood who still work and they don't see them that much, so what your realtor is saying might be true. I'd probably try to head over there on a Saturday and see who is going in and out of the clubhouse. But in all my time over there visiting most of the people I see, I would describe as "elderly"....then again, I am usually there during the day if the kids are off from school so they can swim in the pool.

Keep in mind that people who are in the age group you're looking at often still have kids at home, and there are restrictions on how many kids of what age you can have living with you over there....as people delay having kids more and more, I actually think you will see the age demographic rise over there.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:29 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
We visited there three times, during different days of the week - but always during the day. We saw many people in their late fifties and sixties, and some pretty active seventy and even eighty year olds! It's a busy place. We ended up buying elsewhere primarily because of the floor plans and inability to customize anything through the builder (just plain annoying, in our opinion.) But the community is great.

On our visit just last week, we had two couples, separately, tell us about another 55+ outside of Charlotte that they both preferred, but had family closer to Raleigh. You might want to visit it as well, if Charlotte is an option.

Bailey's Glen Cornelius NC - Baileys Glen Charlotte North Carolina

Old 05-10-2012, 01:20 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
We visited there three times, during different days of the week - but always during the day. We saw many people in their late fifties and sixties, and some pretty active seventy and even eighty year olds! It's a busy place. We ended up buying elsewhere primarily because of the floor plans and inability to customize anything through the builder (just plain annoying, in our opinion.) But the community is great.

On our visit just last week, we had two couples, separately, tell us about another 55+ outside of Charlotte that they both preferred, but had family closer to Raleigh. You might want to visit it as well, if Charlotte is an option.

Bailey's Glen Cornelius NC - Baileys Glen Charlotte North Carolina
The builder is Pulte; therefore, you won't find "custom" features in the homes. I thought the plans were nice and if you put enough money in options, the homes turned out nicely done.

Since Pulte is a tract/production builder, you can't make major changes to any of the floor plans.

Fair Housing prevents me from commenting on age!

Vicki

Old 05-10-2012, 03:14 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
The builder is Pulte; therefore, you won't find "custom" features in the homes. I thought the plans were nice and if you put enough money in options, the homes turned out nicely done.

Since Pulte is a tract/production builder, you can't make major changes to any of the floor plans.

Fair Housing prevents me from commenting on age!

Vicki
True, Vicki. But the "major change" that really ended it for us was when we asked that they not put the desk in the kitchen, to just extend the cabinets and the granite. I don't view that as a major change, but doing it afterwards is impossible as you can never get the granite to match properly.

Old 05-10-2012, 04:46 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
True, Vicki. But the "major change" that really ended it for us was when we asked that they not put the desk in the kitchen, to just extend the cabinets and the granite. I don't view that as a major change, but doing it afterwards is impossible as you can never get the granite to match properly.
To Pulte and most of the large tract builders, that IS a MAJOR change! Try asking to have a door eliminated and you'll get the same response. Still, I like what they did with Carolina Preserve and although the homes are pricey, you are "paying for the lifestyle"!!!

Vicki

Old 05-10-2012, 08:29 PM

49 posts, read 140,394 times
Marci,

I sent you a private message as well but I can tell you that we are in our early 60s and have a large group of friends in our age group. Most of our friends are in their late 50s to late 60s with the majority of them being in their mid 60s. It is a very lively community both inside Carolina Preserve and outside the community. You can do as much or as little as you want. We are very active with my husband playing tennis, softball and basketball on a regular basis. I take part in dance and exercise classes and belong to several clubs. Yes there are older people as well but we are very comfortable with the mix.
We had similar concerns to you about the age of people in the community but found them unfounded. We absolutely love the community and the area in general. I left you contact information in a private message if you want to touch base.

Ann

Old 05-10-2012, 09:07 PM

15 posts, read 29,383 times
Thanks to everyone! It's a big move, it's going to happen soon, and I really appreciate your help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary