Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 11:12 AM

1,219 posts, read 4,218,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemteacher View Post
I On a side note- many of the panhandlers are substance abusers and they use the money to buy more.
Yes, sadly, this is true. I work, outside, in an urban area in Ct and know of most of the 'characters' of the area-I saw one guy panhandle several folks, then saw him a few minutes later buying on the next block...

I do feel for people. I am approached frequently for money (and cigarettes ) but I never carry money with me because I do not want to get robbed-I just let folks know where to get a meal or groceries (working in the area, I know which churches, outreaches, ect give out stuff when). Usually they know this full well and just walk away, but maybe it might help someone, someday, you never know. But, in my experience, the panhandlers are usually addicts. I figure I'm helping more, by donating to a place like the Salvation Army or whatever group is doing outreach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2007, 11:16 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,163,684 times
Right. The charities make sure the money feeds the homeless, not buys them alcohol/drugs.

Old 09-20-2007, 11:18 AM

920 posts, read 2,813,454 times
Does the Triangle have pan-handlers that stand on the freeway off ramps? In Portland, they stand with signs, hoping for handouts while you're sitting on the off ramp waiting for the light to turn green. A few months ago, I saw a grizzled old guy with a sign that read "Why lie? I just want beer." That made me chuckle, and I gave him a dollar.

Old 09-20-2007, 11:29 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,058,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suncat View Post
Does the Triangle have pan-handlers that stand on the freeway off ramps?
Yes, we do. I know of a couple of places along I-40 where they congregate. I believe that the panhandlers in these locations are required to wear reflective vests (like what you might see construction workers wearing). I hear it's to prevent them from being hit by automobiles.

Old 09-20-2007, 12:22 PM

164 posts, read 690,427 times
The running out of gas is a HUGE one. Everyone gets that one. Even where I lived before NC, in MD people always used the running out of gas. I see alot of seniors in the middle of roads panhandling or holding signs up. Makes me feel bad for them but then again, I need the money as well.

Old 09-20-2007, 03:13 PM

823 posts, read 3,922,824 times
There are many beggars along the medians and intersections in Durham with orange vests.

Old 09-20-2007, 07:17 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,667,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alice_61 View Post
There are many beggars along the medians and intersections in Durham with orange vests.
They aren't always 'beggars'....I see lot of churches begging at the intersections for donations.

Old 09-21-2007, 12:38 PM

823 posts, read 3,922,824 times
You have a point; I wouldn't consider all people who beg "beggars," at least in the occupational or repetitive behavior definition. I have seen the people in Durham begging for churches, too, and have wondered if they are all legitiamate. It doesn't seem like the best example for church members to beg on busy roads. BTW, I found an article about begging that quoted a couple of intersting studies, Begging - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Old 11-22-2009, 06:47 AM

1,357 posts, read 4,027,963 times
I agree w/ others that I would stop offering explanations. Be polite (not implying that you haven't been) but you don't owe them an explanation. Just say "Sorry, can't help you" and move on. I've gotten a version of it twice in Raleigh where a guy walks up to me saying his daughter is in the car, he has a flat, and needs $ to get them home (which is out of town). The first time I lectured the guy about approaching a woman who's alone for ANYthing, as I watch out for my safety first and he's lucky he didn't get maced lol (for the record, I advised him, if he HAS to ask a woman who is alone, don't come right up on her... give her a good 6 feet or so, so she doesn't feel threatened), the second time I said "sorry" and kept walking.

Old 11-22-2009, 07:24 AM

542 posts, read 1,524,652 times
Panhandlers are easy. I don't know why people have such a problem with them. Don't make eye contact, don't slow down if you are walking, and if you do have to engage, tell them you don't have any cash and go about your day. Problem solved.

Mike
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary