U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2012, 12:30 AM

4 posts, read 6,042 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am a student at University of North Carolina, and have been feeling rather discouraged with the rental market at the moment in Chapel Hill/Carrboro. My lease will be up soon and I am getting nervous at the prospect of not being able to find something adequate for me.

I do not want something fancy, but I don’t want to live in a place that has been trashed over and over by former students either that is then poorly fixed. Roommates are out of the question as I have had bad experiences as an underclassman on campus and then when I moved off-campus. I do not have any pets.

Currently, I am living in a cozy 1940’s brick cottage, 2bd/1bath, with hardwoods floors and HV/AC with a monthly rent of almost $800.00. However, the unit I am in right now does not have washer/dryer hookups, which is the reason why I would like to move. Having to use the Laundromat cuts in on my time and I am on a very tight schedule of work-related and academic responsibilities that I could use to study if I were at home.

I have been looking around in person and online and it appears that the rental market in Chapel Hill is horrible and does not have that many dwellings that fit my criteria that would fall within my budget. It seems that the properties that fall within my budget are places with (ratty) carpet (you would not believe the stains, smells, and mold that I have noticed on carpet in Chapel Hill rental units in which the leasing agent have told me have been freshly washed or recently installed), have window-unit AC, and/or no washer/dryers (or hookups), or are just slummy.

Furthermore, I am not interested in paying over a $1,000.00 for a McMansion style shoebox-sized apartment with the latest HGTV-esque gourmet kitchen with granite and open floor plan. All that I am trying to find is a neat and well-kept place that retains the charm; I actually like original cabinets and black-and-white tile in the bathroom I found in some units. However, I have seen so many properties that are in so bad a condition for more money, and some companies seem to run moldy slums.

I have been looking at different websites, like padmapper, hotpads, craigslist, etc, but I know that there are more places that I should look that I do not know about, and that many listings are not advertised.

I come to you to ask for help with finding a place to live in Chapel Hill that is either close enough to bike to UNC, or close enough to a bus stop, and fits with my above criteria (hardwoods, HV/AC, washer/dryer or hookups, full kitchen of any style, with room to breathe, and under $800). I have pretty bad allergies so I cannot have carpet.

I cannot accept that 99% of rentals below $800 are rat holes run by slum lords and moldy. I see so many ratty apartments that are so overpriced, or luxury apartments (a la Cosgrove Hill) with no in-between – this is not a major city to command such prices for subpar units, such as the 460 square-foot (actual) attic that is currently asking $715. I’m looking to move in mid-late July.

Thank you so much in advance.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 05-14-2012 at 04:51 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 01:18 AM

12,902 posts, read 24,766,285 times
It sounds like you really like the place you are now. Why not just pay someone to do your laundry?

Old 05-14-2012, 08:04 AM

36,499 posts, read 51,512,383 times
Seems like everybody in Chapel Hill is looking for what you describe. Wouldn't you be willing to pay a bit more for actual w/d in your unit? I know of units like that for about $825. DM me if you are interested.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:39 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,041,301 times
The Town of Chapel Hill has made it difficult for developers to build student-oriented apartments away from campus. Most such proposals are met with rather stiff opposition. See, for example, the organized opposition to The Retreat - a proposed student apartment compex near MLK and Homestead. Beat The Retreat

The result is the kind of market you have found, with older low-rent apartments near campus, and newer high-rent (non-student) apartments away from campus

Old 05-14-2012, 11:45 AM

60 posts, read 103,508 times
I lived at the Chateau in graduate school in Carrboro. It's an old, quiet, all one-bedroom community that is family owned and operated (I lived above the owners mother in law). It was cheap, too. Bus picks up right on the corner of the bypass and Poplar.

Chapel Hill Apartments, The Chateau, all one bedroom community.

Only thing is it's 21+.

Edit: Oh, the w/d thing. No w/d in units, but they do have a laundry room in the leasing office. I trusted everyone in the community and would always just walk over my clothes, go back to my apartment and study, walk back to move to the dryer, you get the drill. While it wasn't as nice as having a w/d in my apartment, it wasn't a huge inconvenience so long as you didn't have to do a run for quarters.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:31 PM

Hi all,
Thanks for all of your responses; I am very grateful for them. I will keep you guys posted as things happen.

goldenage
I don’t feel comfortable with someone else seeing my dirty laundry.

---

no kudzu
It feels like that on many occasions, when I see a property I like it was just taken by someone else. Nonetheless, there are so many other people that will gladly take those unkept units. I am willing to pay a little more and I will definitely DM you.

---

CHTransplant
I have noticed this pattern in the Town of Chapel Hill with older units close to town and newer complexes away from the college like Chapel Hill North. At the same time, I have also noticed that some of the newer projects near the college like The Courtyard, Rosemary Village, and Greenbridge on Rosemary Street are way over $1,000.00 a month and since I am not interested in new construction or a student-oriented community I am not their target audience.

I am already over the age of 21 and did the whole dorm and roommate situation as an underclassman. At this point, I have been transitioning into something that is more mixed residential that has people of different ages living in it. I feel this is a great way to transition into the “real world” once I am finished with college. Also, it is more often than not more quiet and conducive to studying.

---

dginnc
Thank you for your suggestion, I will look this complex up. Since I am over the age of 21, this is not going to be an issue. I will let you know what I think of the complex after I take a visit.

Old 05-15-2012, 04:16 PM

6 posts, read 9,015 times
Hey Southpaw, I agree that the rental market can be rough. I did a search with the dollar amount you mentioned and I found an attic apartment that fit your description.

By looking at the pictures, that unit looks like a fire hazard with the stove on such a low slope ceiling. Granted, the location of the apartment is located in the Cameron-McCauley Historic District, which is very close to campus but still. I feel like the landlord put that place hazardously.

Moderator cut: Real estate recommendations are NOT allowed

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 05-15-2012 at 05:18 PM..

Old 05-19-2012, 05:12 PM

Hi no kudzu,

I got in touch with the person you told me about, but he said those properties were rented for the year. I appreciate the help, and if you have any more tips I would greatly appreciate them.
--
Hey dginnc,

I emailed the Chateau and I'm still waiting on a response. Although I'm a bit hesitant about the carpet due to my allergies.
--
Hey MiuMe,

That sounds like the one, as I can't imagine there being two identical properties there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary