Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 02:02 PM

2 posts, read 18,659 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,

I'm looking at moving my family out of the DC area into the Raleigh neighborhood. I'm looking to be about 20-40 from Downtown Raleigh or RTP.

I am looking for a large lot (20+ acres) that isn't in a neighborhood and isn't immediately surrounded by much in the way of neighborhoods, but it has to be a very safe area/region.

I was looking at Wake Forest, someone else mentioned Holly Hill. Any thoughts on those? Any additional areas to look?

I appreciate the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2012, 02:14 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,926,216 times
Rural Orange or Chatham counties.

Old 05-16-2012, 02:24 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,271,582 times
What kind of budget are we talking about here? 20 Acres of land zoned to be residential within 20-30 minutes of downtown Raleigh or RTP can be pretty pricey. That being said you can find land in Northern Rural Wake County but I imagine it will set you back some serious $$$. Another option would be parts of rural Johnston County to the South of Raleigh which can also provide a 20-40 minute commute depending on where you are starting from / going to in Raleigh - but the drive to RTP may stretch your commute times past that. Northern Rural Durham County may also be an option if you need to be 20-40 minutes from downtown Durham. The drive to downtown Raleigh would be longer though. Rural Orange and Chatham County May be an option to for commuting to Durham or RTP but I would not want to commute to Raleigh on a daily basis from there.

There are some wonderful homes up around the Falls Lake Area (most of the zoning up that way requires at least 2 acre lots) and there are a lot of trees so the area feels quite secluded and private.

Old 05-16-2012, 02:50 PM

650 posts, read 928,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasontt View Post
Hi folks,

I'm looking at moving my family out of the DC area into the Raleigh neighborhood. I'm looking to be about 20-40 from Downtown Raleigh or RTP.

I am looking for a large lot (20+ acres) that isn't in a neighborhood and isn't immediately surrounded by much in the way of neighborhoods, but it has to be a very safe area/region.

I was looking at Wake Forest, someone else mentioned Holly Hill. Any thoughts on those? Any additional areas to look?

I appreciate the help!
Take a look down US1 south and 15-501 South of chapel hill. This area is very large and more affordable lots. Very rural.

Moncure, North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Some artsy fartsy and tree huggerish

Old 05-16-2012, 02:56 PM

162 posts, read 460,649 times
I commute daily from the northern Durham County area near the Bahama, Rougemont area, to downtown Raleigh and it takes me 45 minutes. It's usually an easy drive with little traffic and not much of a headache. We just purchased 25 acres in Hurdle Mills which will make my commute 50 minutes but well worth it to me to have my little paradise. You can still purchase land parcels in northern Durham County/Person County/Orange County for a fairly reasonable price.

Old 05-16-2012, 03:55 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,911,742 times

Stem, North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Attached Thumbnails
Rural areas around Raleigh/Durham?-stem_sign.jpg  

Old 05-16-2012, 04:56 PM

37 posts, read 102,456 times
jasontt--- I agree with lm_waters. We live in northern Durham County (Rougemont) and love it. We only commute to Durham, but RTP and Raleigh are doable. There are some backroads around here that can get you part of the way over/down there pretty quickly. We're on a 4 acre / small, horse-ready property (4 stall barn, paddocks and out-buildings), but you could get much more acreage for a decent price up here too, I think.

Old 05-16-2012, 05:23 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,351,955 times
Land is still available in Northern Wake county. I have a friend who just built a home on 30 acres off Creedmoor Rd near Falls Lake. Great location for that amount of land, although you (and me!) might cringe at the cost.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:24 PM

2 posts, read 18,659 times
Thanks for all of the quick responses everyone! I'll be looking into some of those areas.

RFB - how much did your friend pay for 30 acres?

As far as what I was looking to spend on a lot; I would be looking to get land for 350K or less. I don't know if that is possible yet though.

Is the general impression that the area surrounding falls lake is safe and clean?

Thanks again everyone.

Old 05-17-2012, 05:30 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,228,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasontt View Post
Thanks for all of the quick responses everyone! I'll be looking into some of those areas.

RFB - how much did your friend pay for 30 acres?

As far as what I was looking to spend on a lot; I would be looking to get land for 350K or less. I don't know if that is possible yet though.

Is the general impression that the area surrounding falls lake is safe and clean?

Thanks again everyone.
You won't get 20 acres near Falls Lake for anywhere near 350k. That said? It's a nice area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary