Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2012, 08:03 AM

2 posts, read 2,432 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to take our two kiddos and get out of where we live in Maine. We are very dead set on moving to the Raleigh area.
We are going to visit there next week and have some questions :-)

Where we live now the average rent is about $1000 a month for a 2 bedroom apartment or about $1500 for a 3 bedroom house (and we are looking to rent a 3 bedroom). How does that compare to the area? With that in mind- I would be transferring my position at Longhorn Steakhouse here to one down there. There is one in Apex, and one on Brier Creek Parkway in Raleigh. I have no idea which is better to transfer to, and what areas to concentrate our home search in.

Also one of our kid's will be in second grade, and I have been reading about the school system down there too. I know it is a mess, but we understand that.

My husband will be looking for a job, however we think it shouldn't be too bad to find him one. He also works in the restaurant industry and has 10+ years of experience, a culinary degree, and is ServSafe certified.

If he commutes into Raleigh what will that be like in relation to the area we may end up living in?

Any idea what the average rate of pay is for a line cook, breakfast cook, sous chef (yes all very different positions, but he will be checking everything)? This of course will help the decision on what we can afford. I plan on asking the managers at Longhorn there when I speak to them too, but corporate is much different (and he would love to avoid corporate!)

What are the utilities like? Up here most heat sources are oil, which is ridiculous. Many of the homes go through 700 gallons a year.

Thank you for the advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 08:31 AM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Apex and Brier Creek are not that far apart. You could hedge your bet and land in Morrisville or Cary, between the two. And NC540 freeway will open later this year, which will make travel between the two even more convenient.

Your rental price range is workable. You can get a nice apartment or townhome or small house in those price ranges.

Utilities, natural gas and/or electric will be attractive for you. You will spend about as much on cooling as heating. Coming from Maine, you may walk around all winter in shirt sleeves here.

You could live in Apex, Cary, Morrisville, or Raleigh, work downtown, Brier Creek, or Apex, and set yourselves up with one very easy commute and one 20-30 minute commute very easily.

I don't know about wages. I work the other side of the establishment and feed the till....

Old 05-17-2012, 04:51 PM

2 posts, read 2,432 times
Thank you! I really appreciate the input :-)
What is the average price for a 3 bedroom apt/townhouse/house down there? I have no idea if $1000 or $1500 will be as plausible based on the wages in the area. The cost of living in my town is pretty high. In the "crappier" areas around here I can find a 3 bedroom apartment for $800 or $900 (with heat included).

Old 05-17-2012, 05:15 PM

2,863 posts, read 1,808,197 times
If you go to City-Data, click on the state you desire, then city i.e. Apex, you will receive the information you want as well as Forum topics.

Old 05-18-2012, 09:14 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sera View Post
If you go to City-Data, click on the state you desire, then city i.e. Apex, you will receive the information you want as well as Forum topics.
Yes, people so often forget the "City" part of "City-Data".

Here is Apex, but there is one for every City/town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary