Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2012, 08:22 PM

3,950 posts, read 5,090,473 times

Advertisements

Has anyone in or around Raleigh developed sleeping disturbances seemingly out of nowhere? How about hearing a constant buzzing or oscillating pulse; maybe even headaches, nausea, heart palpitations or loss of concentration? I’m asking because some are saying that these symptoms and a few others may be caused by smart meters which allow power companies to read meters remotely.

Various communities throughout the nation are reporting such issues and I was just wondering if anyone around here has been affected?

Smart meter program "opt out" rights
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2012, 05:37 AM

1,751 posts, read 3,688,749 times
I had a similar problem about ten years ago, but couldn't blame it on a smart meter. I had a ringing in my ears, loss of concentration, terrible sleep. I was miserable.

After almost a year of this torture it turned out I had an abscessed tooth that was ragingly infected but causing me no pain. Once I had the root canal, relief was immediate.

In your shoes I would pursue the smart meter avenue but make sure you don't have any other undetected health issues that could be causing your discomfort.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:58 AM

137 posts, read 241,695 times
I accidentally opened one of these transmitters out of curiosity, but the transmitter was for the hot water meter. I was looking around in the utilities closet and saw a wireless box wired to the meter on the hot water line. I opened it and there was a small blue micro-controller circuit board, with a small 12V battery attached to it. The door is hinged to the body and there is a spring attached to a momentary switch on the board. When the door is opened the spring triggers the switch and a small red LED on the board flashes. I was like OOPS! and put it back together. The water company never said anything but im guessing that is a "tamper prevention switch." My motive was not to tamper with it I was just wondering what the heck it was. My best guess is that it's some sort of WiFi signal read by a hub or a truck driving by. I have not really experienced such symptoms out of normal, but anything is possible with things like HAARP and other random frequencies everywhere. I doubt these little wifi devices are powerful enough to put out a signal that would affect biology ,but then again radio is a strange thing.

Old 05-18-2012, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaticMedia View Post
I have not really experienced such symptoms out of normal, but anything is possible with things like HAARP and other random frequencies everywhere. I doubt these little wifi devices are powerful enough to put out a signal that would affect biology ,but then again radio is a strange thing.
HAARP seems better suited at explaining the loud booms that some people here in Raleigh have been hearing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
HAARP has been blamed by conspiracy theorists for a range of events, including numerous natural disasters. Various scientists have commented that HAARP is an attractive target for conspiracy theorists because according to computer scientist David Naiditch, "its purpose seems deeply mysterious to the scientifically uninformed".

Old 06-10-2012, 12:48 PM

Default Update

I had an audio consultant out who used a spectrum analyzer and he found a "spurious oscillating frequency of about 9.0 kHz" which is strongest in my two bedrooms. What's really mysterious is that the harassing audible tone remained even when the power to the house was disconnected at the outside pedestal.

Now we’re going to try to get someone out with a radio wave spectrum analyzer to see what’s going on in that domain.

This is rather worrisome as neither my wife nor I have had a decent night sleep since this started last October. I don’t suspect the power grid to be the issue because nothing related to it has changed and we’ve lived in our house since June of 2004.

Old 06-10-2012, 01:31 PM

149 posts, read 197,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
I had an audio consultant out who used a spectrum analyzer and he found a "spurious oscillating frequency of about 9.0 kHz" which is strongest in my two bedrooms. What's really mysterious is that the harassing audible tone remained even when the power to the house was disconnected at the outside pedestal.

Now we’re going to try to get someone out with a radio wave spectrum analyzer to see what’s going on in that domain.

This is rather worrisome as neither my wife nor I have had a decent night sleep since this started last October. I don’t suspect the power grid to be the issue because nothing related to it has changed and we’ve lived in our house since June of 2004.
Do you have any radio/cell towers or power lines anywhere near your house?

Old 06-10-2012, 05:45 PM

Default No we don't have Tinnitus

Yes we have power lines, a transmission station and a cell tower all within half a mile. However, they've all been there for years so I doubt they're responsible for our clear and present sleeping issue.

To rule out EMF, I've taken measurements with a Trifield meter and I don't detect anything especially out of the ordinary.

Granted; road, helicopter and train noise in Wake Forest have all increased exponentially as of late but none of those would explain away a high-pitched 9.0 kHz frequency.

If you want to experience for your self the torture of 9.0 kHz then go to this site and select it. Now imagine that this frequency is also oscillating at the same time.

Old 06-10-2012, 06:15 PM

542 posts, read 1,524,748 times
Us an our First World problems... The worst thing I hear in my area are the helicopters flying in and out of Wakemed at all hours.

Michael

Old 06-10-2012, 06:27 PM

Default Mystery continues...

The only hospital really close to me is Wake Healthcare of Wakefield and they don't have helicopters. However, two large military helicopters flew very low over Wake Forest just a couple days ago. My neighbors and I opined that they must be on their way to Fort Bragg as they were headed south. They did fly low enough to rattle my house, though.

Old 06-10-2012, 07:40 PM

11 posts, read 15,417 times
I saw and heard them too.
I live in WF, and have heard many booms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary