Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 11:53 AM

10 posts, read 38,592 times

Advertisements

Sorry everyone keeps asking for more information on what you want - the truth is, there's a little bit of everything here so it's hard to narrow down the options without knowing what's behind the preferences. There is a downtown in Raleigh with the Capitol building, some museums (most of which are freeeeee!) and some great homes but they do not sound like they are the types of properties you are looking for. I would probably recommend North Raleigh for the type of home you described In the city, though it does have a definitively suburban feel to it in places - particularly as many homes are grouped in communities that feel a little like subdivisions. The nice thing about Raleigh is that you can easily live outside the city and have plenty of space to stretch out while only adding 10-15 minutes to your commute. (This can, of course, depend on where exactly you work. However, if you end up working in the RTP there are a bunch of options).

There's also the option of living in the Raleigh AREA without actually living IN Raleigh. Durham is an up and coming area with a still-relatively-low cost of living, a great arts scene, and some Fantastic breweries and other local-food markets/restaurants/food trucks. I don't live there personally so I can't tell you about things like crime or schools or home prices, but my co-workers who live there like it and feel safe. There are also the satellite communities - Cary, Morrissville, and others, as well as the Chapel Hill area. The Triangle is a surprisingly diverse place!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 12:48 PM

596 posts, read 1,240,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbenedictnj View Post
Hello, my wife and I are considering moving to the Raleigh area sometime in late 2013 or 2014. We make a combined 100k here in NJ and assume lower income in NC. I am a civil engineer and she is a recruiter. We have visited a few times and love the area. I would love some tips and suggestions about the area and where is the best for us to live. We are looking for 3-4 beds, 2-3 baths, over 2000 square feet on a quarter acre and our budget tops out at 300k. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks all!
Please do your homework CAREFULLY before moving here ! A visit or two does not paint the most accurate picture, living here 365 days a year......just saying....

Old 06-02-2012, 08:37 AM

1,381 posts, read 2,103,865 times
We moved from NJ in 2005. We fell in love with Holly Springs but our first house was in Garner. We realized that Garner was not for us (we were seduced by the cheap house prices and the amount of land you could get for your $$) and we moved to Holly Springs in 2009. We love it here and in your price range, you could definitely get what you are looking for. We spend most of our time in Holly Springs/Apex/Cary so its really convenient for us. Now there are also people that love Wake Forrest and spend their time up in North Raleigh (there's a North Wake County divide!). And then there are the people that love Chapel Hill/Carborro! But I think you can't really go wrong whereever you pick to live in North Carolina. It's been a great move for us.

Old 06-02-2012, 10:57 AM

171 posts, read 447,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
I can only guess why they are attracted to North Carolina - it's cheaper; it's warmer, it's away but still driveable.
All of the above. Plus, the state mostly respects the Second Amendment, which was certainly a factor in my moving from the northeast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary