Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 10:04 AM

32 posts, read 110,718 times

Advertisements

Hello, my wife and I are considering moving to the Raleigh area sometime in late 2013 or 2014. We make a combined 100k here in NJ and assume lower income in NC. I am a civil engineer and she is a recruiter. We have visited a few times and love the area. I would love some tips and suggestions about the area and where is the best for us to live. We are looking for 3-4 beds, 2-3 baths, over 2000 square feet on a quarter acre and our budget tops out at 300k. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 10:35 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,602,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbenedictnj View Post
I would love some tips and suggestions about the area and where is the best for us to live.
Easy. Once you find a job, then determine what your comfortable commute time would be. Then ask this question to us again.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
Easy. Once you find a job, then determine what your comfortable commute time would be. Then ask this question to us again.
I would prefer to live in the city of Raleigh itself. Maybe a better inquiry would be what are the pros and cons of raising a family in this area.

Old 05-24-2012, 02:59 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
Raleigh is not a real city. It has a small downtown and a lot of suburban sprawled areas. The downtown is really not for families with few services such as groceries, etc.

Crime is low. Schools are in turmoil and there are reassignments in some areas.

Little public transit if that's an issue for you.

Many churches, shopping centers, and restaurants.

You need to decide if the climate and area fits for you. We've been here 22 years and like Raleigh.

Good luck.

Old 05-24-2012, 03:07 PM

1,977 posts, read 4,207,414 times
Serious question, but does NC advertise it's wonderful state in NJ or something? I can't help but notice the influx of NJ plates on the roads...

Old 05-24-2012, 03:15 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Raleigh is not a real city. It has a small downtown and a lot of suburban sprawled areas. The downtown is really not for families with few services such as groceries, etc.

Crime is low. Schools are in turmoil and there are reassignments in some areas.

Little public transit if that's an issue for you.

Many churches, shopping centers, and restaurants.

You need to decide if the climate and area fits for you. We've been here 22 years and like Raleigh.

Good luck.
The OP stated that he has already visited a few times and loves the area.

As for whether Raleigh is "a real city", I suppose that's up to interpretation and experience. Being downtown, my experience does not match your perception and assertions. Also, I see lots of families in the DT neighborhoods. So, I am not exactly sure what you mean by DT is not really for families. As for services, I live in Glenwood South and can WALK to Cameron Village which has two grocery stores and lots of services. That said, I don't think that the OP would find his requirements near DT in his price range...so, it's a moot point.

Back to the OP...
Homes of the stated size and land requirements in your price range are currently easy to find in much of the area. Many neighborhoods were built in the 70s-80s, even 90s that match your requirements in Raleigh/Wake County. More recently built homes might not meet your land requirements in your price range as lots have gotten smaller as the city has grown larger.

Old 05-24-2012, 06:44 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,790,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrisko View Post
Serious question, but does NC advertise it's wonderful state in NJ or something? I can't help but notice the influx of NJ plates on the roads...
Most people leaving New Jersey actually head to Florida. After that, it's the neighboring states of New York and PA and then California. North Carolina is their 5th highest destination. I can only guess why they are attracted to North Carolina - it's cheaper; it's warmer, it's away but still driveable. I also think with any place, there's a snowball effect. Once someone moves somewhere, a friend or relative hears about it and then they move here. And so on.

Old 05-27-2012, 09:28 PM

481 posts, read 1,086,616 times
I figured it would be easier to direct you to a previous I made about moving from NJ We did 7 years ago and love it! hope this helps!

//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...mily-ny-2.html

Old 05-28-2012, 10:53 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
It's impossible to advise someone on where is "best" for you to live without knowing things such as where you'll be working, what your leisure activities are, what amenities you do or do not want, etc.

Why have you chosen Raleigh? Knowing your impression and what you see as "plusses" to the area will help people advise you on good (again, no such thing as "best") places to look. It is definitely a family-oriented area. You might check Durham as well, if you want an "urban" vibe. Though smaller in population, Durham's downtown is actually "grittier" in many ways and more up-and-coming than Raleigh's. Raleigh has a higher population but the majority of it is in the suburbs.

For most people moving here without a job, it is recommended to rent somewhere first, get a feel for the area, then when/if you find jobs, you will have a better idea of where is reasonable to buy that fits your routine, and by then you'll know the lay of the land better.

Old 05-29-2012, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
It's impossible to advise someone on where is "best" for you to live without knowing things such as where you'll be working, what your leisure activities are, what amenities you do or do not want, etc.

Why have you chosen Raleigh? Knowing your impression and what you see as "plusses" to the area will help people advise you on good (again, no such thing as "best") places to look. It is definitely a family-oriented area. You might check Durham as well, if you want an "urban" vibe. Though smaller in population, Durham's downtown is actually "grittier" in many ways and more up-and-coming than Raleigh's. Raleigh has a higher population but the majority of it is in the suburbs.

For most people moving here without a job, it is recommended to rent somewhere first, get a feel for the area, then when/if you find jobs, you will have a better idea of where is reasonable to buy that fits your routine, and by then you'll know the lay of the land better.
we have been to Raleigh several times and like the area. we are thinking of moving but have no concrete plans, trying to get opinions from locals about the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary