Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2012, 10:22 AM

1 posts, read 807 times

Advertisements

Looking for some assistance from folks in the area. We are a family of six (married couple w/ four children ranging from 12 to 5) and will be moving to the area next year. I will be attending Duke University for the nursing program and my wife will hopefully work at a local hospital.

Our concern is that we would like to find an area to locate to that has good schools for the kids. Any surrounding city/area that is withing 30 minutes of Duke would be something we would consider. Since I will be attending school full time, this will mean my wife will be the sole provider. Therefore, affordability is important too, with a price range of $150,000-$200,000 for a home, or rent of less than $2000 per month.

Thank you in advance for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 11:20 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,732,318 times
The best schools in NC are generally agreed to be the Chapel Hill/Carrboro system which is quite convenient to Duke. However, it's also among the most expensive places to live n the state (these tend to go hand in hand--better schools = high cost of living).

There are many, many threads in this forum on the school systems (in NC, schools are at the county level with rare exceptions such as Chapel Hill/Carrboro which is separate from Orange County system. If you are coming from an area with lots of tiny, local-centered schools, you will not find that here at all.

There are also websites that rank school systems on various factors--you will find those by searching the forum for school threads.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:41 PM

1 posts, read 741 times
Smile Look up schools

I was looking in that area. Our realtor gave us a good website to check out any school. ReDir. You have to spend some time to compare school stats but it is a start. Also look up crime rates per 100 students in school. Also ask people there if they know anything about the schools. We spoke to someone who mentioned that they put up affordable housing by one school in Durham and the school went downhill with gang activity and the crime rate in the school went up. So be careful and visit the school.

There is a little high school that is in or near Hillsborough called Cedar Ridge High School. They have an International Bacclaureate program for the 11th &12th grade about 6% of students enroll in that program. they also have AP classes. It is a new school and very nice.

here is a list of schools from the Orange County website

Orange County Schools

there is also an address tool but I am not sure where it is in on that website. You can plug in the address you are looking at and find out where the children will be going to school. I do know that 100% of students from AL Stanback middle school go to Cedar Ridge High School.

Hope that helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary