Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 08:26 PM

81 posts, read 248,878 times

Advertisements

My husband works in RTP and I will more than likely work in downtown Raleigh when I go back to work after some time off. We're looking at different neighborhoods to purchase a home. We really like the area near the Art Museum (i.e. Meredith Woods and Bridgeton Park) as it's a good "in between" point. Recently, however, we were near Kildaire Farm Road and Cary Parkway and it seems like that area has a lot of the shops and things we'd like to be close to, i.e. Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, Goodberry's, a coffee shop, greenway, parks, etc. It seems to meet our criteria in terms of commute times, as well. From looking online it seems as if this may be a good fit for us, at a slightly lower price point than NW Raleigh, which would be a bonus. I was wondering if any of you have experience with this area? We'd be looking for a 4BR house for around $400K or less. We have a young child, so we'd like something family-friendly. Any thoughts on how this area would work for us? Specific subdivision recommendations? Any thoughts on the future of this area? I worry that while there are lots of amenities there now that the future of Cary is to the west and that all of the things that we like about that area now may be short-lived.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 08:36 PM

43,348 posts, read 77,209,038 times
Wimbledon, Woods of Kildaire, Churchill Downs, Farmington Woods all come to mind immediately.

There IS a lot going on there. Our office is on Shannon Oaks, right behind Chili's, and we like the conveniences and lunch options.

ETA:
I like the area around the art museum, too. Very convenient.

Old 05-29-2012, 05:17 AM

22,681 posts, read 36,841,007 times
I like that area too, even though we settled west of there. I wouldn't worry about anything happening to the area, but I guess anything is possible. I just don't see the connection between the town's westward expansion and things closing down in that area you are talking about. And it's going to be awhile before the very western edge becomes as busy as that area you are talking about, IMHO. Not much going on there now and the service at most of those establishments is absolutely atrocious. My parents live in Carolina Preserve and I dread having to stop in at any of those stores over there.

Old 05-29-2012, 07:44 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,161,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irby View Post
I was wondering if any of you have experience with this area? We'd be looking for a 4BR house for around $400K or less. We have a young child, so we'd like something family-friendly. Any thoughts on how this area would work for us? Specific subdivision recommendations? Any thoughts on the future of this area? I worry that while there are lots of amenities there now that the future of Cary is to the west and that all of the things that we like about that area now may be short-lived.
I live right by that intersection I love it so much more than where I used to live in North Raleigh. Walking to Trader Joe's, Starbucks, Goodberry's, etc is awesome. And I love being able to hop on my bike and head down to Whole Foods.

For your price range I would check out Farmington Woods, Woods of Kildaire, MacGregor Downs (there's a part of MacGregor that borders Kildaire Farm Road and Woods of Kildaire), and maybe even MacDonald Woods. There's another neighborhood I think called Wimbledon that I believe would be in your price range.

While West Cary is definitely seeing more development, I don't think this side of Cary will see any decline because of it. Personally I like the fact that this area is already well established so there's not constant construction and stripping of trees going on. Cary is also dumping tons of money into the downtown area, which is only a five minute drive from this intersection or a short bike ride, and they have tons of activities for kids in the new arts center downtown. And you have the benefit of being a short drive to downtown Raleigh, the main farmers' market, RDU, etc.

Another cool thing I recently learned is apparently they will be setting up a seasonal weekend farmers' market in Waverly Place.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:32 AM

4,478 posts, read 11,627,656 times
Definitely a nice area - I live a few miles away in SW Cary (near Bond Park) but I'm at Trader Joe's & Whole Foods at least once a week. I only wish I hadn't found out that the yogurt place next to TJ's always has one flavor of vegan soft serve! I also walked around Waverly Place on Sunday - they really did a nice job with the courtyard area - I had no idea there were waterfalls and such. I'll definitely check out the farmer's market, and maybe some live music there.

Old 05-29-2012, 11:02 AM

4,003 posts, read 10,848,129 times
I grew up near that intersection (Farren Forest) when Trader Joe's was a deserted stable, and then a Winn-Dixie. It was a great place to live! Although Cary has grown much, that little area is more or less the same as it was when I moved away from it in the early 90's, aside from the facelift to Shoppes of Kildaire.

Old 05-29-2012, 11:19 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,122,216 times
I absolutely LOVE MacGregor right around the corner from that intersection and would live there in a heartbeat if I could afford it!!
I really don't think that any growth in western Cary will affect what is already available in that part of town.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:46 AM

81 posts, read 248,878 times
Thanks everyone! I appreciate the feedback. I guess my concern about the area declining comes from previous posts about some nearby complexes, Macgregor Village and Waverly Place. It also seems as if Cary Town Mall has seen better days. Nevertheless, I do think that this area is rapidly moving up on our list of preferred spots.

Old 05-30-2012, 02:40 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,848,129 times
MV and Waverly never really took off from the beginning, for some reason. A lot of the older houses (1970's and 80's) in that area are being improved and brought up to date. It really is a nice spot. Traders Joe's used to be a Winn-Dixie, and before that a stable, so definitely an upswing there lol.

Old 05-30-2012, 04:25 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,242,505 times
I grew up in Lochmere and my parents still live there. There are plenty of families with children there and you could find a home for less than 400k (in certain sections). It is not far from the area you mentioned and worth checking out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary