Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 05:07 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times

Advertisements

Love it! We visited the Raleigh area to see which area we would like best. We looked everywhere from Fuquay to Clayton to Wake Forest. We chose Wake Forest or North Raleigh. WF has the small town feel with all the stores within close proximity. They have a nice town pool and a quaint downtown. Prices are still reasonable with some land which is important to us. I can see it growing in the coming years though. It also includes parts of Granville county. We chose to look in the Wake county area because of schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2007, 05:22 PM

1,219 posts, read 4,217,247 times
We like Wake Forest too, and have looked there and hope to eventually buy in the area. It is like its' own little city, yet still close enough to Raleigh.

Old 09-22-2007, 05:34 PM

3,950 posts, read 5,086,255 times
Default Look before before you leap

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
It also includes parts of Granville county. We chose to look in the Wake county area because of schools.
I’m afraid of Granville County because Oxford is there. Word has it that one of the doctors in the city of Oxford is a Dr Feel Good that charges patients, or their insurance, big bucks for pain killers. The chief of police was accused of being involved with the KKK. Prostitution goes on in broad daylight (I saw one walking the streets there with my own eyes) which is really odd since even the worst parts of Baltimore haven’t had street walkers in years. It gets worse, I’ve heard talk that Oxford has everything from dealers in the human trade (illegal immigrant workers at Revlon) to an identity theft ring.

Wake County may have problems but they’re nothing compared to those of Granville. Even highway 85 is little better than a dirt road through Vance and Granville County. If you’ve thought of relocating to those areas heed my advice and steer clear. There’s a reason why property is dirt cheap there.

Old 09-22-2007, 07:54 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,339,535 times
Wake Forest is misleading. Their is the Town of Wake Forest and then a entire area that use the Wake Forest zip code 27587. Town of Wake Forest is very nice, there are older homes and small downtown area and they have new subdivisions. The area that use the Wake Forest zip code has homes from $100k to multi-million dollar homes. You can get bigger lots outside of the Town of Wake Forest. It all depends what you are looking for.

It truly has (had) plenty of trees to look like forest but the forest part is rapidly going away and it will look like any other area in the triangle. I believe Wake Forest is as good as any area in the Triangle.

Good luck and give Wake Forest a look!

Old 09-22-2007, 09:38 PM

4,606 posts, read 7,687,108 times
Wink yes friend, please look before you leap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
I’m afraid of Granville County because Oxford is there. Word has it that one of the doctors in the city of Oxford is a Dr Feel Good that charges patients, or their insurance, big bucks for pain killers. The chief of police was accused of being involved with the KKK. Prostitution goes on in broad daylight (I saw one walking the streets there with my own eyes) which is really odd since even the worst parts of Baltimore haven’t had street walkers in years. It gets worse, I’ve heard talk that Oxford has everything from dealers in the human trade (illegal immigrant workers at Revlon) to an identity theft ring.

Wake County may have problems but they’re nothing compared to those of Granville. Even highway 85 is little better than a dirt road through Vance and Granville County. If you’ve thought of relocating to those areas heed my advice and steer clear. There’s a reason why property is dirt cheap there.
Quote:

*ahem* pardon me dear friend Grizzmeister,
Would you mind please backing up your negative accusations of Granville County? As you see, heresay just does not cut it, and as I noticed you already had previous posts with somewhat misaccurate info I would like to proceed with care before correcting much of your statements in reference to Granville County.
I will not mind stating now, that Oxford is not all of Granville County,
And I will continue to say that your misinterpetation of Granville County is the type of representation that is well, shall we just say, ridiculous,
Honestly I am not sure where to start????????

We know many people who work at the Revlon plant in Oxford and nobody has mentioned illegal workers. Funny too considering they are planning to spend $50 mil to expand the plant which is listed as the top 2 for North America.
And are you sure about the Police Chief in Oxford? That is a serious accusation to spew without all the facts, Really appreciate help on that one,
And the reason property is still cheap in certain areas is mainly because Granville is on the outskirts of Wake County, and really not considered built up, .
As for the Dr.....gosh never heard that anywhere else before . Even if it might be true,what was your point friend?
Please keep things in prospective friend,

Old 09-22-2007, 10:21 PM

3,950 posts, read 5,086,255 times
Default Me thinketh thou dost protest too much

Thanks for quoting me twice autumngal.

I don’t need to “back up” my claims about Oxford or Granville because I’m not in a court of law. I’m just trying to help outsiders understand the area. I suggest that they have a look for themselves as they should never accept my word as fact.

What are you trying to insinuate? Do you believe I have an ulterior motive for my statements about Oxford?

Everything I’ve said becomes painfully clear with just one drive down highway 85 through Granville County. As for the chief of police in Oxford, I heard the KKK claim on News Channel 14. I’m sure one of the regulars here can link us to the article? If not I’ll do it tomorrow when I’m more awake.

To people outside the state thinking of moving to NC: Be warned that North Carolina has a bunch of problems and I would NEVER lie about them. For starters, there’s a lot of poverty in this state. News Channel 14 just the other days stated that over 1.2 million people in the state are living below the poverty line. That’s a large percentage! That, IMHO, is also the reason why Wake County is so crowded; it’s far better than many of the extremely poor counties that neighbor it.

Let me make this point clear though, I’m not trying to talk anyone in to moving here! I have no reason to be anything but completely honest. I may be wrong about some points as I’m only human so I suggest that outsiders do a ton of research. That’s what the Internet is for.

Old 09-22-2007, 11:15 PM

134 posts, read 410,452 times
Live in Wake Forest (Heritage) and love it. Great for kids. Great golf community. I work from home, so traffic on Capital is not an issue. I wouldn't want to brave local drivers each day on my way to Raleigh, that's for sure (a neighbor was blindsided this past week)..... The airport is only 25 minutes away (I travel often). Good shopping near our house. The Factory is wonderful. I like the farmers' market on Saturdays. The only negative is the lack of decent restaurants in WF. Just terrible chain restaurants like Appleby's, etc. Otherwise, a great area.

Old 09-23-2007, 12:38 AM

3,124 posts, read 12,664,110 times
Quote:

You know...you've got some odd ideas. First you think Wakefield is in Wake Forest..and that the citizens of Wake Forest are somehow jealous of Wakefield schools?

Now you complain about Oxford? Now, even when my husband and I both worked in Granville county, we prefered to live in Wake Forest...I do think Wake county schools are better, even with the growth issues we have, but not for the reasons you state and 85 is a 4 lane highway all the way through Granville County....what in the daylights are you talking about?

I know several folks in the HR department of Revlon...and there are now illegals that work there...there are plenty of Hispanics however.

How long have you lived in the area? You seems completely clueless to be honest.

Old 09-23-2007, 03:06 AM

4,606 posts, read 7,687,108 times
Default too bizarre

Quote:
Thanks for quoting me twice autumngal.

I don’t need to “back up” my claims about Oxford or Granville because I’m not in a court of law. I’m just trying to help outsiders understand the area. I suggest that they have a look for themselves as they should never accept my word as fact.

What are you trying to insinuate? Do you believe I have an ulterior motive for my statements about Oxford?

Everything I’ve said becomes painfully clear with just one drive down highway 85 through Granville County. As for the chief of police in Oxford, I heard the KKK claim on News Channel 14. I’m sure one of the regulars here can link us to the article? If not I’ll do it tomorrow when I’m more awake.

To people outside the state thinking of moving to NC: Be warned that North Carolina has a bunch of problems and I would NEVER lie about them. For starters, there’s a lot of poverty in this state. News Channel 14 just the other days stated that over 1.2 million people in the state are living below the poverty line. That’s a large percentage! That, IMHO, is also the reason why Wake County is so crowded; it’s far better than many of the extremely poor counties that neighbor it.

Let me make this point clear though, I’m not trying to talk anyone in to moving here! I have no reason to be anything but completely honest. I may be wrong about some points as I’m only human so I suggest that outsiders do a ton of research. That’s what the Internet is for.
It was not a protest, it was questioning.
And I am not on a mission to get people to move to NC or Granville County either. I would not live in Oxford, but not for reasons you are expressing.

Old 09-23-2007, 09:43 AM

32 posts, read 92,345 times
Default Wake Forest - Open House today 2- 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTP View Post
Hello All-

Can anyone tell me if Wake Forest is nice? I heard it had bigger lots, and good schools without the terrible overcrowding that plagues the rest of the county. True? Not true? Pros about Wake Forest? Cons? Anything you can tell is appreciated!
VTP - if you are looking for a house, we're selling or renting the one we first bought in Heritage. We're building again in Heritage.

We're having an open house today from 2 - 4 if you have time.

http://www.visualtour.com/applets/fl...dm=realtor.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary