Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 11:01 AM
VTP VTP started this thread

200 posts, read 957,419 times

Advertisements

Hello All-

Can anyone tell me if Wake Forest is nice? I heard it had bigger lots, and good schools without the terrible overcrowding that plagues the rest of the county. True? Not true? Pros about Wake Forest? Cons? Anything you can tell is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2007, 12:23 PM

997 posts, read 4,644,836 times
VTP. Wake Forest is part of the Wake County Schools which are good. There is no such thing as Wake Forest Schools so your children might attend schools that are not necessarily in Wake Forest but they won't get bussed across the county to Cary either. They are all part of the same district which is county wide.

Yes alot of the lots in Wake Forest are bigger and wooded in some neighborhoods. Some do have that sprawl feeling to it though. But I think you will find more of the larger wooded lots here. Downtown Wake Forest is charming. Wake Forest is growing rapidly. You have easy access to Capital Blvd. with all the shopping and strip malls. Triangle Town Center is on Capital as well which is a mall in N. Raleigh. You have easy access to 540 and 98.

The only can I can see is that Capital Blvd is very congested at rush hour. Depending on what part of Wake Forest you are in, it could be a drive to RTP but that might not even apply to your situation.

N. Raleigh north of 540 (some inside 540) is also an alternative to Wake Forest in terms of larger wooded lots if you can't find what you are looking for in Wake Forest.

Hope this helps.

Old 09-22-2007, 01:22 PM

3,950 posts, read 5,089,796 times
Default Better than expected

We purchased our home in Wake Forest about three years ago and LOVE it. We didn’t buy in Cary because it was too similar to the area that we left up north. My wife and I are country folk at heart so we wanted something a little more rural.

Tell me a little bit about your situation and I may be able to enlighten you as to the pros and cons of Wake Forest. I’m not trying to sell or promote anything so I’ll be brutally honest.

Two areas here in Wake Forest; Heritage and Wakefield have their own schools within the community and I hear they’re excellent. In fact, there seems to be some jealousy from locals parents whose children don’t attend those schools. Wakefield High in particular is very upscale and resembles a community college when viewed from the street. There's also a TPC golf course within Wakefield which just recently sponsored a tournament.

Old 09-22-2007, 01:35 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,667,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
We purchased our home in Wake Forest about three years ago and LOVE it. We didn’t buy in Cary because it was too similar to the area that we left up north. My wife and I are country folk at heart so we wanted something a little more rural.

Tell me a little bit about your situation and I may be able to enlighten you as to the pros and cons of Wake Forest. I’m not trying to sell or promote anything so I’ll be brutally honest.

Two areas here in Wake Forest; Heritage and Wakefield have their own schools within the community and I hear they’re excellent. In fact, there seems to be some jealousy from locals parents whose children don’t attend those schools. Wakefield High in particular is very upscale and resembles a community college when viewed from the street. There's also a TPC golf course within Wakefield which just recently sponsored a tournament.
That is not quite accurate. Heritage and Wakefield are two areas....but they don't have their 'own schools'. They are still part of Wake County and subject to the same things as the rest of us. They just happen to have schools named for the areas.

Wakefield is also part of Raleigh, not Wake Forest, though it sits on the line between the two.

There is little jealousy to be honest (No idea where you got that idea - other then Wakefield High often taunts Wake Forest-Rolesville by calling us "Shoeless" during sporting events-they seem to think that no one in Wake Forest lives above the poverty line, something I assure you is not true.)

I wouldn't want my daugther to go to Wakefield to be honest, but would deal with it if we were reassigned. Not because it is a bad school academically, but due to it's multiptude of wealth they do have the social problems that go alone with it (how many of their young adults have been killed in drinking and driving incidents in the past few years?) and while I appreciate fashion with the rest of them, and yes, my child has Holester and A&F clothing - that does not define her worth as it is often assumed by some of the students in this upscale area.

Heritage High school isn't even built yet....and you can best believe that not all their students when it does open will be only from Heritage..the vast majority are going to be from Wake Forest.

Old 09-22-2007, 02:21 PM

32 posts, read 92,370 times
Default Wake Forest

we moved here five years ago and rented a house in Raleigh for almost a year while we looked. We found Heritage and have not regretted it at all. There are three elementary schools in Wake Forest - Wake Forest Elementary (traditional calendar), Heritage Elementary (year round) and Franklin Academy (charter school/modified year round). All are good. We have two kids in Heritage and have really enjoyed the experience. Downtown is nice and there is a lot the town is doing to revitalize it even further. Lots of activities here that give you small town feel including Herb Fest, Renaissance Ball, Autumn Arts Festival, a small farmer's market each Saturday, etc.

Wake Forest has grown significantly in the last five years with lots of convenience shops (Target, Walmart, restaurants, Lowes, Home Depot, etc) going in. Raleigh is close so more options are there.

We're building again in Heritage so if you're looking for options, we're selling/renting our house. Lots of kids in the neighborhood, we have about 10 six year olds on our culdesac alone! Other ages too but that's our oldest.

rmw

Old 09-22-2007, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmwilliams_heritage View Post
we moved here five years ago and rented a house in Raleigh for almost a year while we looked. We found Heritage and have not regretted it at all. There are three elementary schools in Wake Forest - Wake Forest Elementary (traditional calendar), Heritage Elementary (year round) and Franklin Academy (charter school/modified year round). All are good. We have two kids in Heritage and have really enjoyed the experience. Downtown is nice and there is a lot the town is doing to revitalize it even further. Lots of activities here that give you small town feel including Herb Fest, Renaissance Ball, Autumn Arts Festival, a small farmer's market each Saturday, etc.

Wake Forest has grown significantly in the last five years with lots of convenience shops (Target, Walmart, restaurants, Lowes, Home Depot, etc) going in. Raleigh is close so more options are there.

We're building again in Heritage so if you're looking for options, we're selling/renting our house. Lots of kids in the neighborhood, we have about 10 six year olds on our culdesac alone! Other ages too but that's our oldest.

rmw
There is also Jones Dairy Elementary, also a year a round school....and not far from Heritage.

Old 09-22-2007, 03:47 PM

2,058 posts, read 5,861,667 times
Funny, we just took a drive out there today to scope it out. I really liked it. It felt small enough to still be quaint-ish, but I can tell that in 5 years it will look different. We ended up at the Factory with all the soccer and hockey parents. It seemed to be a main hangout among young families. Some of the neighborhoods have such beautiful wooded lots. It was storybook-like. We didn't stumble upon Heritage or Wakefield which are the two big newer developments. But definitely WF is high on my list!

Old 09-22-2007, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandycat View Post
Funny, we just took a drive out there today to scope it out. I really liked it. It felt small enough to still be quaint-ish, but I can tell that in 5 years it will look different. We ended up at the Factory with all the soccer and hockey parents. It seemed to be a main hangout among young families. Some of the neighborhoods have such beautiful wooded lots. It was storybook-like. We didn't stumble upon Heritage or Wakefield which are the two big newer developments. But definitely WF is high on my list!

If you were at The Factory you were a baseball's throw from Heritage. Simply go down Rogers Road (the road off to the side) and you run into it.

Wake Forest is a great town....I have not regreted moving here 4 years ago.

Old 09-22-2007, 04:35 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,284,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTP View Post
Hello All-

Can anyone tell me if Wake Forest is nice? I heard it had bigger lots, and good schools without the terrible overcrowding that plagues the rest of the county. True? Not true? Pros about Wake Forest? Cons? Anything you can tell is appreciated!
I like wake forest. It has newer and older areas and has a nice little downtown area. Here is a link to some picutres I took of the Wake Forest Farmer's Market and the Downtown Area.

//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...-downtown.html

Old 09-22-2007, 04:37 PM

3,950 posts, read 5,089,796 times
Default The Factory in Wake Forest

A lot of people aren’t aware that The Factory has two indoor ice skating rinks, indoor soccer field, indoor and out door skate board courses and a go-kart track. I was pleasantly surprised when they built it.

Oh, for adults there's even a new YMCA at The Factory. My wife plans to ride the stationary bike there to rehab her knee. Just look for a cute short woman with huge blue eyes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary