Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 09:20 PM

7 posts, read 25,774 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am considering either moving to Raleigh or Charlotte. I read on one of the threads from Charlotte, that there is a problem with Black widow and Brown recluse spiders. Does anyone know if there is a similar problem in Raleigh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2007, 09:24 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,112,765 times
I wouldn't consider it a "problem" but they are here too. They're all over the southeast, no matter where you go. Just be realistic about them. Your chances of encountering and being bitten by one are really pretty slim. I'm a native, lived here my whole my life and have never been bitten by one not do I know anyone who has been. It's rare, but not unheard of, to see them. I've maybe seen 3 or 4 blackwidows ever, even though I know they are out there. I probably have them in my own backyard but have never encountered them. You just have to educated yourself on them and don't do anything dumb like move woodpiles without gloves on or reach up under your deck or shed without gloves on. Black widows rarely leave their webs and the brown recluse is even less encountered. I've never even seen one in my 36 years in NC.

Old 09-23-2007, 07:30 AM

57 posts, read 246,080 times
ditto what lamishra says! Seen plenty of black widows, but never a brown recluse.
But you will see plenty of varied types of spiders in your yard (and probably in your house on occasion). This is not unusual, and they are considered beneficial (especially when you see how many mosquitoes we have), so please don't think that they are a "problem" and start spraying every one you see with pesticide. (not assuming you will... just a general pointer).

Old 09-23-2007, 08:21 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,563,286 times
I too have never seen a brown recluse growing up in VA, or now in NC. I've seen plenty (not a whole lot) of black window spiders, but keep in mind these aren't attack spiders. They are not going to come after you to bite you!

Old 09-23-2007, 09:07 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,940,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatty2 View Post
Hi, I am considering either moving to Raleigh or Charlotte. I read on one of the threads from Charlotte, that there is a problem with Black widow and Brown recluse spiders. Does anyone know if there is a similar problem in Raleigh?
I actually have a Brown Recluse (I think) living in the corner of one of my front door windows (the thin tall ones). My wife keeps telling me to kill it and I want nothing to do with it as A) knowing my luck I will swat it with my shoe and it will somehow live through the moment and attack me in my sleep and B) it's outside not inside so I could care less. We have named it Charlotte and are waiting for it to start writing messages in it's webbing. Right now it is just eating moths.

Old 09-23-2007, 09:47 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,112,765 times
just spray it. I doubt it's a brown recluse though, they usually don't hang out in windows and in webs like that. Those webs (that look like Charlotte's web) are usually from Orb Weavers.

Old 09-23-2007, 10:58 AM

What's the best spray? I have tried Raid and Black Flag and none of them seem to work. They only drop to the ground, run around frantically, ball up the get back up and go into their web (plotting their revenge no doubt).

Old 09-23-2007, 02:39 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,050,316 times
Default Many learn while growing up

Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
What's the best spray? I have tried Raid and Black Flag and none of them seem to work. They only drop to the ground, run around frantically, ball up the get back up and go into their web (plotting their revenge no doubt).
Most first learn how to kill spiders while growing up. As a child did you ever have to kill one or was that left up to other family members?

Old 09-23-2007, 03:02 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,843,375 times
black widows are very resistant to pesticides. Most of you have them in your crawlspaces, but they rarely enter the house. I see them almost daily inspecting houses and have yet to been bit.

Old 09-23-2007, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Most first learn how to kill spiders while growing up. As a child did you ever have to kill one or was that left up to other family members?
My mother was deathly afraid of spiders (hence my disgust with them) and I honestly don't remember if my father killed them or not which I would assume he did in between purchasing some new electronic equipment, watching the Steelers or playing Command and Conquer and CIV on the PC. I know how to kill spiders but the problem is that 90% of bug sprays do absolutely nothing but make the room stink or have the bugs writhe around in pain for a minute then get back up and go back to their business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary