Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 04:21 PM

10 posts, read 24,328 times

Advertisements

Hey all....

Lynn and I went out this Saturday for her first river trip. We went out with Paddle Creek outfitters. Actually they just drove us there and picked us up and gave us a Southern, Y'all be careful hear??

Anyway, apparently....from the other two in our group of four.....the river was "up" and we did not have to drag our yaks across any logs or sand bars. We saw lots of turtles and a good size heron. Supposedly there is an aligator that lives in this section but we didnt see it. Lynn did well and I relearned to check your foot pegs BEFORE pushing off.

I thought the cost of $62 was a little high just for a pick up and drop off considering we were using our own equipment but I have been out of it for so long I will let you guys tell me.

We would do this again but only after a number of other places first. It was a good two hour ride from our house to Wake Forest......north east of Raleigh.....but at least the shop had a bathroom you were welcome to use!!!

I am going to try and post 4 pics.....first time trying so we will see.

Stay wet!! Rich

[ Edited Sun Jun 03 2012, 05:48PM ]
Attached Thumbnails
8 miles on the Neuse River.....Wake Forest NC area-dscf2051_640x480.jpg   8 miles on the Neuse River.....Wake Forest NC area-dscf2065_640x480.jpg   8 miles on the Neuse River.....Wake Forest NC area-dscf2073_640x480.jpg   8 miles on the Neuse River.....Wake Forest NC area-dscf2078_640x480.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 07:47 PM

1,106 posts, read 3,533,827 times
Nice pictures. I can't comment on if $62 is too high.

I have always wanted to take a kayak down the Cape Fear to Wilmington and have my wife pick me up.

Old 06-03-2012, 07:49 PM

4,478 posts, read 11,620,809 times
I've not done any of the Neuse river yet, but if you are interested in meeting other kayakers, definitely check out Meetup.com. There are two very active paddling Meetup groups, with people of all skill levels with all types of boats. Last night I went on a night paddle at Jordan with a Meetup (25+ attendees), and it was quite fun!

Old 06-04-2012, 07:37 AM

276 posts, read 648,678 times
We've done that stretch - when Paddle Creek offered a Groupon about 2 years ago (I can't recall the exact price, but it was lower than $60 and included the rental.) I've seen them offer Groupons occasionally since then, so keep your eye out!

Lovely pictures! Thanks for sharing.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:48 AM

1,277 posts, read 3,548,381 times
Great pictures!

The river was definitely 'up' and murky based on your pictures.

We have paddled (canoe) when you could see clear to the bottom -- Glad to hear it all went well.

I have heard of folks paddling on the eno but not sure how/where -- meetup would be great for you to get you hooked into more resources.

Thanks for sharing!

Old 06-04-2012, 08:59 AM

The Eno is great for paddling - you can put in at Red Mill Road and go either towards Durham or in the opposite direction towards Falls Lake. Calm water, very beginner friendly.

Boat ramp is here: red mill road boat ramp - Google Maps

Old 06-04-2012, 11:20 AM

1,737 posts, read 2,574,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
The Eno is great for paddling - you can put in at Red Mill Road and go either towards Durham or in the opposite direction towards Falls Lake. Calm water, very beginner friendly.

Boat ramp is here: red mill road boat ramp - Google Maps
Or for the more adventurous: Pleasant Green to West Point (after a good rain).

Old 06-04-2012, 11:42 AM

Just noticed that the OP lives in Raeford - definitely check out Rhodes Pond near Dunn, NC. Only an hour from you, beginner friendly, and a beautiful paddle through a cypress forest.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:17 PM

2,586 posts, read 9,103,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucctgg View Post
Or for the more adventurous: Pleasant Green to West Point (after a good rain).
This is a great recommendation...very fun paddle with some low Class 2 stuff in high enough water! Definitely check water levels for this section of the river though b/c in low water you'll spend a lot of time out of the boat dragging through shallow water.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:28 PM

2,464 posts, read 4,166,601 times
I recently looked into a short rental to paddle down the Neuse from falls to Capital. But it just doesn't seem worth $50 per boat to me. That seems quite outrageous.

Never heard of ANY alligator living in the Neuse, especially up in Wake County. I'd be suspect at best about that tale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary