Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2007, 07:00 AM

11 posts, read 24,654 times

Advertisements

I will be a single empty nester at age 41 when I move from the MD/DC in 2009.

Raleigh is one of 5 cities on my list…

What is the one thing about this city that I must know before making a final decision?

What is the best place to live, for walking to restaurants, shopping and conveniences?

I know I will be looking for condominiums b/c I am not one for exterior maintenance, where are the newer ones being built?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2007, 07:40 AM

3,950 posts, read 5,089,796 times
Default NC respects the Constitution

RelocateSherri, I’m a DC area native that has relocated to the Raleigh area. May I ask why the Triangle is on your list?

One of the things I like best about Raleigh is the ability to obtain hand gun and concealed weapon permits. I’m a huge proponent of the 2nd Amendment and it always bothered me that DC, which for a while held the title of crime capital of the US, didn’t allow guns.

Old 09-23-2007, 08:19 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,560,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
RelocateSherri, I’m a DC area native that has relocated to the Raleigh area. May I ask why the Triangle is on your list?

One of the things I like best about Raleigh is the ability to obtain hand gun and concealed weapon permits. I’m a huge proponent of the 2nd Amendment and it always bothered me that DC, which for a while held the title of crime capital of the US, didn’t allow guns.
All you had to do for that was move across the Potomac to Virginia

Old 09-23-2007, 09:57 AM

3,950 posts, read 5,089,796 times
Default Virginia is for smokers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
All you had to do for that was move across the Potomac to Virginia
Thought about it but the large populace of Ph D’s in the Triangle was also a determining factor. I’m intrigued by the cutting edge virtual reality work being done at one of the university’s here.

My reply to Sherri was a little leading as I had hoped to determine her political leanings.

Also, I find many that relocate here just for the lower cost of living are ultimately unhappy. There needs to be something else that brings someone to the area, IMO. People who can’t make ends meet were they are now will probably face the same challenges here as jobs tend to pay less than say- San Francisco, New York or DC. In a nutshell, don’t trade your old problems for some new unknown problems. It helps to have a strong support system in place to make it easier to adapt and work doesn’t always fulfill that requirement.

Just my two cents.

Old 09-23-2007, 12:41 PM

445 posts, read 1,859,279 times
Default North Hills

You may want to look at North Hills. They are building more condos and it is within walking distance to shopping, restaurants, and a grocery store. You also might want to check around Cameron Village. Downtown also may be an option, but there isn't alot of shopping within walking distance.

Old 09-23-2007, 12:55 PM

Quote:

The reason for the move .. change of pace........... tired of how fast things are here. just ready to try someplace new.

Old 09-23-2007, 01:28 PM

1,489 posts, read 5,694,327 times
Brier Creek would be another possibility, or Downtown Durham they are building all kinds of new condos/lofts, and really doing a nice job converting a lot of the older buildings.

Old 09-23-2007, 01:44 PM

229 posts, read 1,054,220 times
There is a big push right now going on in downtown Raleigh that a lot of folks aren't aware of. It's called the Liveable Streets Master Plan is the plan guiding downtown Raleigh's development which consists of five main parts: Build the new convention center, reopen Fayetteville Street, build a convention center hotel, improve pedestrian environment, and undertake regulatory reform to make it easier to develop and build in the downtown area.

As to some of the larger projects, RBC has just broken ground on their new office building. They sold 139 condominiums in 3 days!! They took 130% reservations. There were people standing in line to buy in case anyone wasn't able to complete their purchase. The building also has 270,000 square feet of office space, eight levels of parking deck within the building - enclosed in glass so that you will never know it's there -, and 17,000 square feet of retail space on the ground floor. The City and Highwoods Properties, together, are building a 1,000 space parking deck one block to the east between Wilmington and City Market. Last week Progress Energy issued an RFP to develop all the land they own around that parking deck. They will be getting responses back during the next month or two and then making those public as they see fit. There is a lot of additional development being spurred by the new Progress Energy headquarters and the RBC headquarters buildings.

In 2009 people will ask why the Fayetteville street project was so important. At the north end of Fayetteville street there are about 1.25 million visitors at the Museum of Science and History and the Archives Building annually. When the Convention Center opens it, along with the Performing Arts Center, will draw about the same number each year to the sourth end. If we can get these two groups to cross, that makes for a great retail environment. On Fayetteville street, itself, there will be 525 housing units with 700 to 750 people calling it their home address. By 2009 the downtown area will have more bars and restaurants then Glenwood South does. There will be 875 hotel rooms. Lastly, the new office headquarters of RBC will add substantial pedestrian traffic to the street both from those who will work in the building and those who will live in it. Within one block of Fayetteville street there will be 10,000 parking spaces so there will not be a parking problem. All told there will be 42,000 parking spaces downtown and only about 30,000 people that work there.

As to housing we have the new York and Trammel Crow project on the Bradshaw parking lot just to the west of City Hall. It is 207 units of housing. There is the 170 unit condo called the West, 40 units on North street in Glenwood South and 48 units across from the Paramount; which is the first green residential building. Then, there is the new Contemporary Art Museum. Air rights over the museum will be sold for housing. This is on Harrington and Hargett streets. They will break ground for an apartment building on Tucker street in about two weeks which is also in Glenwood South. There is another 850 parking spaces that will be wrapped with 60 or so residential units. There is Ted and David Reynolds project that is nearing completion on Lane and Harrington. There is the Roland Gammons project. 222 Glenwood just broke ground. And, there are others. This is not all just expensive condos. There will be four projects downtown representing an investment of some $200 million of affordable housing.

When you add it all up, right now there are 831 units of housing downtown. In the pipeline, which means approved by the council but yet to break ground, is an additional 1,263 units. In the planning stages are another 500 units. There are now 2,500 residents downtown currently and when all that has just been mentioned has been accomplished there will be 8,500. That does not include such areas as South Park, Oakwood and Boylan Heights which are all inside the beltline.

In terms of shopping there is a new market downtown that is closeby to all of the new projects.

A couple of other posters mentioned North Hills - the condos there will all have garages 7 are upscale. The HOA fees there are pretty steep ~$325k per month.

Downtown Durham - 2 projects there for condos near Trinity Park. A great area of town.

Downtown Chapel Hill - There is one project in Downtown Chapel Hill that will have an onsite dry cleaner, grocery, and the best restraunts in town are down the street.

So, there are lots of options to choose from in this area!!

From the time the Liveable Streets Plan was adopted until 2010, when these projects have been completed, more than $2 billion will have been invested in the 110 block downtown area.

Old 09-23-2007, 03:29 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,001,034 times
Quote:

I thought the DC ban was overturned by the Federal courts last March?

Old 09-24-2007, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
I thought the DC ban was overturned by the Federal courts last March?
Actually I live out side of DC so I have no idea what they are doing with this gun ban issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary