Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 05:18 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,149,614 times

Advertisements

I've started noticing that sometimes my texts are delayed by as much as an hour or more. Was sitting with someone last night, halfway through dinner I got a text that said "on my way" (from them). This has been happening on a semi-regular basis the last couple weeks. Am I the only one?

I'm trying to figure out if I've got a problem, or if the network is just overwhelmed right now...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 07:18 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,154,062 times
Yes I've noticed this as well. In general Sprint's service has gotten progressively worse in this area over the past year I feel like.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:56 AM

328 posts, read 767,239 times
I agree, Evaofnc. It's infuriating. I used to be with Verizon, but Sprint is 50 dollars cheaper a month because my husband and I have 4 people on our account and it bundles well but the service coverage stinks. I may switch to something else when my contract ends.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:12 AM

1,733 posts, read 2,422,258 times
What kind of phone?

Old 06-04-2012, 09:23 AM

Galaxy IIS.

For the most part, I've been satisfied with Sprint coverage. These lags are just a recent thing. And in general, I've noticed my coverage being more unpredictable. Used to be consistently "just barely" at my apartment, meaning I could always get a signal, but often had to go out on the back patio. Now it's sometimes strong enough to sit on my couch and call (an improvement) and other times it won't get a signal outside (worse).

I wonder if they are doing tower work that involves taking some towers down at times?

My problems are frustrating, but have not elevated to infuriating yet.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:38 AM

43,282 posts, read 77,104,102 times
I have noticed some spotty stuff.
I beleeve Sprint is doing some work to prep/upgrade for 4G LTE service, which they will introduce later this year, and compromising on either maintenance or service as they do.
So, we have to survive until then. And hope they provide an improved network.

I really like the Evo 4G LTE phone. It is very impressive. But, to get it knowing it may mean months of 3G service, and no guarantee of a great LTE experience?
Not likely.
I am out of contract as of 6.1.2012, and nosing around.
Verizon phone choices are not impressive.
Might have to visit ATT to see the HTC One X, but unlimited data and free GPS on a comparable device with Sprint will make me hesitate.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
unlimited data and free GPS on a comparable device with Sprint will make me hesitate.
This is hard to beat. (Well, "this", and the fact that my company is with Sprint, and I get the full package at no cost to me....)

I think/hope you are right Mike. Spotty service now, to make way for improvements later....

Old 06-04-2012, 09:46 AM

460 posts, read 1,017,683 times
I work with Sprint folks sometimes for my job... and about a month ago in a meeting with a customer they mentioned tower work starting this summer..... that's probably the case.. they will be combining some towers, taking some down altogether... and make some other changes. So for different locations there will probably be good changes, bad changes, and not much change at all for others.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:53 AM

4,304 posts, read 5,989,186 times
Sprint's text delivery time is typically about an order or magnitude slower than the other majors, although their average is still only about 40 seconds here in Raleigh.

RootScore Report for Raleigh – May 2012 | RootMetrics

They have also had repeated issues with multi-hour delays in text delivery. Here was coverage of one such issue from last year, but they seem to occur on a fairly regular basis.

Old 06-04-2012, 10:24 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,938,023 times
In the past when a family member had long delays on text messaging (Verizon), we found that the problem was likely the result of known phone/Android issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary