U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2012, 12:54 PM

59 posts, read 206,542 times

Advertisements

Hello. I'm having an outdoor picnic for 40 people. I am looking for stores or restaurants where I can by salads by the pound. I've already looked at Sam's, BJ's, Costco, Lowe's Foods, Super Target. Any other ideas? I will be going by Whole Foods later today.

How many pounds per person should I estimate? 30 adults. 10 kids. I'm also concerned about the heat and mayo based salads. I'd like choices that will be fine out in the heat for at least an hour.

I'm doing the fruit tray, vegi tray thing. Chips. Hummus. I'm making a vinegar-based bean salad. Anything else you'd recommend. I'd prefer a store bought option, but I'm open to recipes too.

Thanks.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 01:25 PM

242 posts, read 565,623 times
This is quick, easy, yummy, & always a hit at my parties (& no mayo). . Make 3 lbs maybe??

Southwestern Pasta Salad Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Old 06-06-2012, 01:33 PM

45,589 posts, read 56,891,233 times
You can do this one...super easy. Double or triple it if you want.
1# rotilli pasta, or whatever (cooked and drained)
Chopped up veggies of your choice.
1# sliced smoked sausage or cubes of cheese, or both
Dump in a large bottle of Wishbone Italian salad dressing. It will seem soupy, but absorbs into the pasta

Chill for a few hours

Old 06-06-2012, 02:11 PM

1,751 posts, read 3,545,894 times
Mayo really isn't a problem unless it is homemade! This is only going to be out for an hour? Find a flat pan or container that is a little bit larger than the salad container. Freeze a couple inches of water in the bottom of it. Or you can even set a second empty salad container in it to make a custom fit ice block. then when it is time to eat, set the salad on the ice. Or, just use a bowl, put the salad container in it, and fill around it with ice cubes or crushed ice.

If you are really worried, get a thermometer, then put the salad away when it reaches a temp that is too high for safety. ( I admit I don't know what that temp is, I like to live dangerously! But I'm sure you can look it up easily)

IMHO you are not doing anything by driving all over town looking at different salads at different stores. They're all just as spoilable. Just buy what you like (IMHO 10 lbs is plenty for 40 servings. Some will eat more than one quarter cup and some will eat less.) When you run out, they will eat something else! Make sure to have a watermelon cut up. I took one to a potluck on Sunday and the entire thing was gone in the blink of an eye. People are wary of other people's cooking but with Watermelon, WySiWyG!

Old 06-06-2012, 02:15 PM

1,502 posts, read 1,632,693 times
The thing about mayo and food poisoning is pretty much a myth, for most purposes. Commercially produced mayo has enough vinegar and preservatives in it that is fine sitting out for an hour or so and can actually retard spoilage of the other components of the salad. If you make your own mayo, then all bets are off, but I would be rather surprised if any of the places you mentioned would be whipping up their own mayo to put in their salads.

ETA: Bah! Beaten to the punch!

Old 06-06-2012, 03:52 PM

4,598 posts, read 9,767,315 times
Neomonde sells their salads by the pound and are super tasty.

Old 06-06-2012, 04:12 PM

Location: See endorsements: https://www.facebook.com/lorilyn.bailey.7/
6,273 posts, read 15,420,862 times
Pistachio pudding mix, Cool Whip, chopped canned pineapple (including liquid), and marshmallows, mixed together and chilled overnight is always a people-pleaser. I don't know if anyone makes it locally for sale. Some people add pecans or walnuts, but I don't think that's necessary. We used to call it Green Glop salad, but if you search for the ingredients online, you'll find variations of the recipe.

Old 06-06-2012, 04:30 PM

4,598 posts, read 9,767,315 times
It's funny because I always hated that "salad" as a kid. I assumed it was a holdout from the 50s that refused to die lol.

Old 06-06-2012, 06:41 PM

8,880 posts, read 13,542,296 times
A woman my wife used to work with would keep mayo in her desk at room temp for days and put it on salads. It can't be that risky.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:10 PM

8,269 posts, read 24,115,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
A woman my wife used to work with would keep mayo in her desk at room temp for days and put it on salads. It can't be that risky.
Commercially prepared mayo is really not a problem anymore since it uses pasteurized eggs and is very acidic. It was much more of a problem in the past when people made homemade mayo with unpasteurized eggs. Today's food poisoning usually comes form the low pH food items mixed into the salads, so it should still be kept very cold!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary