Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 07:36 PM

86 posts, read 141,758 times

Advertisements

We have got to issue new rules regarding bicycle riding on state maintained roads, outside of communities. There are bicycle parks for a reason.

When I biked, I use to drive thirty minutes to Shelly Lake in Raleigh.

Riding a bike on a public driven road is a huge hazard for the motorist and cyclist.

Atleast put the liability in the hands of the cyclist. Motorists should not be responsible for hitting a cyclist on a state road, with speeds in excess of 35 mph.

Isn't this reasonable? Bicyclist could enjoy riding in downtowns, and subdivisions, etc. With the exception of state roads with speeds in excess of 35 mph.

Imagine:
Waking up tomorrow morning like any other work day. You jump in your vehicle, driving to work, and WAAM, you clip a bicyclist while rounding a curve you have traveled a hundred times. The cyclist is thrushed into a ditch and dies on impact. Your immediate response is to slam on brakes, get out of the vehicle and check on the cyclist. Then you proceed to check their vitals, call for help, and panic while awaiting police and ambulance.
Hours later, your detained for questioning at the local police station. Charged with man slaughter and spending the day in jail until your spouse or family member bails you out. In a week or so, you face a Judge and plead your case. You believe anyone would be compasionate enough to believe you didn't intentionally hit the cyclist.
However, by the duration of your case, you soon realize, man slaughter is exactly that! You kill someone accidently, however your faced with a possible sentence due to justifiable negligence on your part.
A few days later your transferred to the nearest minimum security prison starting a twenty four month sentence. You loose your job, house, and your spouse files for a divorce.
All this from hitting a cyclist that wanted to catch a few rays and fresh air.

Old 09-23-2007, 07:45 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
You need to reread your North Carolina Handbook.

Bicycles have as much right to a roadway it called shared the road

NCDOT Division of Motor Vehicles: Driver Handbook: Chapter 6

Old 09-23-2007, 07:52 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,664,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workerbeeishere View Post
We have got to issue new rules regarding bicycle riding on state maintained roads, outside of communities. There are bicycle parks for a reason.

When I biked, I use to drive thirty minutes to Shelly Lake in Raleigh.

Riding a bike on a public driven road is a huge hazard for the motorist and cyclist.

Atleast put the liability in the hands of the cyclist. Motorists should not be responsible for hitting a cyclist on a state road, with speeds in excess of 35 mph.

Isn't this reasonable? Bicyclist could enjoy riding in downtowns, and subdivisions, etc. With the exception of state roads with speeds in excess of 35 mph.

Imagine:
Waking up tomorrow morning like any other work day. You jump in your vehicle, driving to work, and WAAM, you clip a bicyclist while rounding a curve you have traveled a hundred times. The cyclist is thrushed into a ditch and dies on impact. Your immediate response is to slam on brakes, get out of the vehicle and check on the cyclist. Then you proceed to check their vitals, call for help, and panic while awaiting police and ambulance.
Hours later, your detained for questioning at the local police station. Charged with man slaughter and spending the day in jail until your spouse or family member bails you out. In a week or so, you face a Judge and plead your case. You believe anyone would be compasionate enough to believe you didn't intentionally hit the cyclist.
However, by the duration of your case, you soon realize, man slaughter is exactly that! You kill someone accidently, however your faced with a possible sentence due to justifiable negligence on your part.
A few days later your transferred to the nearest minimum security prison starting a twenty four month sentence. You loose your job, house, and your spouse files for a divorce.
All this from hitting a cyclist that wanted to catch a few rays and fresh air.
You know...this is the second post where you call for more rules in our lives....rules that already are in place.

Oh, and SunnyK is correct....it's already state law that bicycles have a right to the roadway.

Old 09-23-2007, 08:01 PM

Default Laws can be changed! This nation is full of garbage laws.

How about laws that actually provide security for decent folks?

Old 09-23-2007, 08:03 PM

laws providing security are already in place

Bicyclists have the right to access every destination reachable by public roads, and this right is protected by the traffic laws of every state. North Carolina law specifically defines bicycles as vehicles and assigns bicycle operators all of the rights and duties of drivers of vehicles on roads. Scientific analysis of bicycling practice in the United States shows that bicyclists who behave as drivers of street vehicles and follow the Rules of the Road enjoy travel that is much safer and much more convenient than those who do not.

Old 09-23-2007, 08:04 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,664,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workerbeeishere View Post
How about laws that actually provide security for decent folks?
....are you really trying to say that folks that ride bicycles aren't decent?

I have no problem sharing the road with cyclists....I pass several going to and coming from work each day. My only wish is that I had the energy and time to do my 24 miles commute by bike! I'd be in great shape and save money.

Get over it....you can't force places that don't serve food to provide restrooms...you can't force those that have them to provide your favored type of soap and you can't keep bicycles off the road. Get over it.

Old 09-23-2007, 08:07 PM

Default if a bicycle is considered to be a form of transportation than...

it should be required to meet crash test specifications per Federal requirement for US road ways.

All bicyclists should be required to have annual inspections of their bikes, certified/licensed to ride, and have proper safety attire, including reflectors in a 360 degree format.

Come on, we are going to set this straight.

This morning, we were heading to church, two bicyclist could barely be seen until you drove right up on them.

They should have a ten foot tall bright orange flag (6" minimum length) mounted to their seat. Reflectors (4" minimum) should be mounted on the front, rear, right, and left sides of the bike.

Old 09-23-2007, 08:11 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,030,382 times
My mom is an avid biker, she rides twenty miles a day during the week and more on the weekends. She wouldn't even consider driving to shelley lake then biking around and around in a circle a decent bike ride.

It is common to see bikers throughout the triangle, and as drivers we need to be aware of everything on the road (from road kill, to deers, to bikers!!). I have more fear of deer jumping in front of my car then of bikers on the road.

Just know they are out there, and drive cautiously. Most bikers you see regularly riding are used to the roads they are riding on, they are aware of what is going on, and hopefully the drivers will be as well.

Leigh

Old 09-23-2007, 08:23 PM

Exclamation atleast hitting a deer, you won't go to jail

We really need to think about the reprocussions of hitting a cyclist.

You the driver will end up in jail with Bruno and his little friend, get my drift. All because some person wants to wear spandex and feel the wind against their face as they ride in my lane!

I am all for allowing bicyclist to ride on any road, as long as they have a proper shoulder built for them. NC maintains way too many roads to keep up with bicycle shoulders. However, it is needed desperately.

How difficult would it be to pave two-three more feet on both sides of the road. In stead of making two swipes with the asphalt machine, you would make three. Eventually in a few years the roads would be adequate for bikes and larger vehicles.

The roads aren't large enough. It is against the law to drive too slow, you become a hazard. Well, if the speed limit is 55 mph and there are double solid lines, I can't pass, however I am suppose to risk my family's safety by slowing down to 10-15 mph, until I can safely pass. Mean while, Joe Blow comes around the curve driving 65mph in his semi and runs my family into the ditch and kills each of us. All so some bicyclist can burn some calories.

PLEASE!

Old 09-23-2007, 08:35 PM

It is responsibility of the driver of the vehicle to be responsible for being aware and reacting to any road hazards they come across.

Whether is bicycles, motor scooters, pedestrians, deer, or squirrel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary